1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I have a golden fleece blue hopsack blazer and I really like it. The best way to describe hopsack is that it is lightly textured.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
That's a great price for that coat. I also have the Golden Fleece version and love it. Hopsack will definitely give you a different look from the traditional navy blazer because of its texture.

Added some detail shots of a hopsack blazer I own to show fabric:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I like the Regent fit, but I don't care for hopsack....

It is too open a weave, and doesn't hold its shape well. Too trad looking. The best
BB blazers are the Country Club made with super 130 Loro Piana material in either SB or DB. Retail at $648 with 25% off on sale. I know this much more than the one you're looking at, but these will last at least 15 years. Mine is five years old and looks brand new.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a great price for that coat. I also have the Golden Fleece version and love it. Hopsack will definitely give you a different look from the traditional navy blazer because of its texture.

Added some detail shots of a hopsack blazer I own to show fabric:
Thanks so much for the Pics Gnatty,
The detail sure looks different from the website pic.
I can see why they incorporate the "Sack" into the name.
I should have the Jacket by Monday.
Best Regards

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Thanks so much for the Pics Gnatty,
The detail sure looks different from the website pic.
I can see why they incorporate the "Sack" into the name.
I should have the Jacket by Monday.
Best Regards
Yes, I think it literally derives its name from the burlap like sacks that used to be used to bag hops! I may be wrong though. Curious to see what the Regent version of this looks like. In fact, I may order one myself!

Uncanny. That's practically what I'm wearing today. I'm rockin' an orange tie instead of the brown, though. Gnatty, please get out of my closet...
Sorry, invest in an ADT sign, or a Rottweiler..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I can endorse most any purchase in the Regent cut. It certainly works for me, waist suppresion, side vents, 2B, just the way I like it.

I have seen that jacket in person and it is not only an exceptionally nice hopsack material, its a great and versatile jacket to own as an alternative to your gold buttoned blue blazer. I would grab it on sale if they still have your size.

I just got the Regent patch pocket blazer of Loro Piana fabric, club striped half lining, and had my club patch/crest placed on the breast pocket. Not much more than $300 all in. I will need to do something about the BB silver buttons, maybe after the recession.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Andy sez

"Hopsack or Basket Weave -- A variation of plain weave in which two or more yarns in both the warp and weft are woven side by side to resemble a basket." From the EOC Blazer discussion.

Obviously, hopsack is pretty much confined to use for blazers. I don't particularly care for it, first for the reason given elsewhere above that it is too "open" a weave. I always think it is going to snag on me.

The other reason is that it is a thicker, and therefore bulkier, material. It isn't as comfortable to me, and I think that it gives a more "informal" look to a blazer than I want. I want to be able to wear a blazer to an opera matinee, or whathave you, not field trials.

The one pictured subscribes to what is apparently a non-metal button trend. That, it seems to me, instantly turns what is supposed to be a blazer into an odd coat.:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can endorse most any purchase in the Regent cut. It certainly works for me, waist suppresion, side vents, 2B, just the way I like it.

I have seen that jacket in person and it is not only an exceptionally nice hopsack material, its a great and versatile jacket to own as an alternative to your gold buttoned blue blazer. I would grab it on sale if they still have your size.

I just got the Regent patch pocket blazer of Loro Piana fabric, club striped half lining, and had my club patch/crest placed on the breast pocket. Not much more than $300 all in. I will need to do something about the BB silver buttons, maybe after the recession.

Cheers,
Now I am REALLY anxious for Monday. I will report the findings...:icon_smile:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I like the hopsack blazer quite a bit. I have an RL blazer and while nice, the material is the same as a navy suit. I find that I can't wear it when I break out my heavier pants such as tweed or herringbone. The blazer material is too "fine" and clashes with the heavyweight textured pants. My wife says it looks fine, but it doesn't work in my eyes. Maybe that's why many guys have a few navy blazers - almost seasonal.

I also love the Regent cut. Nice purchase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.