Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many do you own? Are you satisfied with them? How do they tie?

I've never actually seen one in person (they aren't sold in Japan, as far as I know) they look absolutely stunning in photographs. If they perform as nicely as they look I'd love to pick up a few.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
I get them at $20 a pop, so for that price, they're great! The thicker ones don't Windsor very well, they're to thick, but the do a nice four in hand.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
I have several Talbott Best-of-Class ties, and overall find them just average. They're price-effective if you buy them, as I do, for $5 or so on Ebay, but I'd be unwilling to pay anywhere near their retail asking price.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
I have quite a few Robert Talbott ties. Most are 'Best of Class' or 'Estate' ties ....

The 'Best of Class' ties run from $105 to $125, and the 'Estate' ties are slightly more. The reason they are so heavy is that they are woven ties, and because they have a wide blade, 3-1/2" - 4". These prices are full retail, and of course the Talbott seven-fold ties run much more. Talbott is noted for their geometrics, although they do make a lot of paisleys and some stripes.

I wouldn't attempt to tie a windsor knot in a Talbott tie. If you look closely at the yearly Talbott catalog, you will see that all ties have a FIH knot, properly dimpled of course. With practice they can be knotted and dimpled to perfection.

I have been wearing Talbott's for a number of years, and I have bought them from California to New York. I have never paid retail, but I also have never seen one for as low as $20. I think that's a bit of a stretch. Of course I don't shop at places like Filene's basement, so it would be worth it to me to not have to go in one. I usually pay about $55 to $65 for one. I also don't do e-bay.

Robert Talbott is the best American brand in my opinion. they are much better than their competitor Ike Behar. The tie closest in quality and design to Robert Talbott is Duchamp of London. Although a few of the Italian ties are quite nice. The places to shop for Robert Talbott on the internet are: Maus and Hoffman, Hansen's, and Direct Clothiers.

· Registered
90 Posts
I have 4 Best Of Class Talbott ties and like them. Two I picked up at Talbott's store in Carmel for 50% off of their MSRP of $120, and two from my local Nordstrom Rack $24 last time I was in, which I thought was a fantastic deal. I can't conceive of paying more than around $75 for any tie, but Talbott on sale are great.

I'm tall'ish, and so my knots are tied on the thinner end; I can do a Half Windsor with the Talbott ties, but I more often tie a Pratt. Depends on the collar & my mood.

Compared to my JaB & Macy's ties, they tie much nicer knots.

· Registered
20 Posts
Hi

I have a number of Talbott ties (including BOC & 7 fold). They seem to be very good quality and get many compliments.

Many of Talbott's patterns are a bit garish, I prefer the subtle patterns.

cheers

joe

· Registered
2,730 Posts
I have a couple Robert Talbott regimentals from about two years ago and they are nice, but my local men's store tells me they are changing over and the quality isn't that good anymore.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
Robert Talbott's true strength is not in manufacture. Now, all of the ties are well sewn together and durable. The woven fabrics are substantial. Quality is just fine. That said, there's no point in buying a regimental stripe from them. There are plenty of companies that will deliver the same stripe at similar quality for a lower price.

The firm's true strength is design. They have style. Any season's collection will likely have fabrics and patterns that you will not find elsewhere. For my part, each season's collection has a tie that is a must have. Similarly, there are some to which I am indifferent and some I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. For those I like, the company is splendid.

The bottom line is that if you like the style, they are worth it.

· Registered
1,343 Posts
I, for one, love them. I seek them out and happily pay full retail. I tie mostly FIH and they tie a great knot. I think they do the most interesting multi color paisleys in the business.

I wear them 9 days out of 10 and my Charvet's, Brioni's and Kiton's sit lonely in the closet.

Perry

· Registered
1,603 Posts
I recently bought a Robert Talbott seven-fold tie, which was paid for in substantial part with a gift certificate I had received. I must say that although the tie is attractive, it does not feel as substantial or as well-crafted as my Carlo Franco ties (which are the only other seven-fold ties that I have to compare it with).

· Registered
78 Posts
I thought I was the only one, I LOVE Robert Talbott ries. I especially like the "best in class".They make such great knots and dimples. They usually go for about $125, but you can get them for about $25 at Nordstrom Rack.
PS. my second favorite brand is "dmitryny.com"

· Registered
62 Posts
I have 6 BOCs, I believe, including one I am wearing as I type, all picked up at Nordy Rack over the years. I agree with the earlier sentiment that these are good value if one is fortunate enough to find an attractive color/pattern at $30 or less. However, the quality is not exceptional; I have found that the ability to tie a nice knot degrades particualy fast. I chuckle to myself whenever I see the $135 retail price at Nordstrom - for this kind of money there are many many better options in terms of both quality and asthetics.

I am not a huge Behar tie fan, but I put Talbott BOC at this level, and I have a couple of Behar ties that have held up better.

For those who are fans, make sure to look them up if you even visit Carmel-by-the-Sea.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.