Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
The buttons are like that to mimic shirt-studs, which in theory is a good idea, although I prefer shirt-studs and cufflinks.

Not a fan of TP shirts, but for the discount price you probably are getting a value-for-money shirt.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Dean Martin is wearing button cuffs. What is such a hassle about cufflinks? Unless they are the double sided kind, they are ridiculously easy to put in. And remember this; the Rat Pack wore button down collars with black tie (I think) as well.

i dunno, i guess it just doesnt really matter to me. cufflinks are just a hassle to me. that said, i would never go without the studs on the button front.

https://stateoftheline.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/the-rat-pack.jpg

seemed to work for whichever rat-pack member that is on the left.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I suppose it's a good formal shirt for someone who hates formal shirts. The front buttons are meant to mimic studs without the "onerous" task of poking those little suckers into the stud holes and securing them.

It's the double-buttoned cuffs that gives me pause. That does not mimic a cuff linked look, and since there are four buttons involved, there can be no replacement with cuff links, either. Just a rather lame attempt at innovation, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I suppose it's a good formal shirt for someone who hates formal shirts. The front buttons are meant to mimic studs without the "onerous" task of poking those little suckers into the stud holes and securing them.

It's the double-buttoned cuffs that gives me pause. That does not mimic a cuff linked look, and since there are four buttons involved, there can be no replacement with cuff links, either. Just a rather lame attempt at innovation, I'm afraid.
Well, button front with turnback button cuffs like Connery's Bond or even T&A cuffs like Dean Martin sends the "I know what I'm doing, but I wear black tie so much that I do what I want with it" message, as evidenced by their correct use of black tie as well.

The OP's example is just a ridiculous choice that says "Would you like another drink?" - that is to say, rather than project nonchalance, this shirt signals that its wearer is in black tie by obligation and sees it as a burden.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Unless it's a really highbrow event I prefer a simple button front shirt with a turndown collar and no pleats; however, I don't wear a button cuff shirt with a tuxedo. It wouldn't matter to me if someone else did, but to me the French cuffs and cuff links are more essential to the look than the studs and pleats.

Cruiser

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, thanks all. i didnt foresee such a strong reaction to the button cuffs, but trusting the judgment of the members of this forum, i will pass on buying the shirt. my main interest in the shirt to begin with was a) the sale price and b) it is slim fit and in my size.

·
Registered
305 Posts
simpsona, welcome to the forum. In case you have not done so already, I highly recommend a visit to www.blacktieguide.com.

I empathize with your need for slim fit shirts. You may consider buying a regular fitting shirt and having your tailor take it in. Mine does this for $10. I prefer this to buying a slim fit because the 'slim fit' is often still too baggy and you can always find regular fit shirts on sale but rarely find slim fit shirts marked down much. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
simpsona, welcome to the forum. In case you have not done so already, I highly recommend a visit to www.blacktieguide.com.

I empathize with your need for slim fit shirts. You may consider buying a regular fitting shirt and having your tailor take it in. Mine does this for $10. I prefer this to buying a slim fit because the 'slim fit' is often still too baggy and you can always find regular fit shirts on sale but rarely find slim fit shirts marked down much. Good luck!
a question on this: i have had 2 shirts taken in before from what i understand is a reputable tailor in my area. the problem with the shirts was that the waist, chest, and back area was just huge. the shirts ended up fitting well in the body, but the arms and armpits became too tight for my liking. is there a way a tailor can take in the body w/o making the armpits too tight--or better yet, leave the arms and armpit areas alone? thanks so much.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good question. Others have posted on bad experiences with shirt tapering. I remember one story about the shirt sleeves being made so narrow as to barely accommodate the wearer's arm.

If you lay a shirt flat, you can see how tapering could affect the arm, armhole (or scye) and body. How much each of those areas are taken in and in what proportion should be within control of the tailor. I will defer to the tailors of our fora for an expert answer.

In my experience, I've had 3 shirts taken in - all to good effect. The first was sort of a trial run and based on its fitting I encouraged my tailor to be even more severe with the next two. The tailor I used for this work has altered several other garments for me and is therefore quite familiar with my body shape. Also, he's a dedicated alterations tailor. I wouldn't risk this sort of thing to the backroom of a local dry cleaner.

a question on this: i have had 2 shirts taken in before from what i understand is a reputable tailor in my area. the problem with the shirts was that the waist, chest, and back area was just huge. the shirts ended up fitting well in the body, but the arms and armpits became too tight for my liking. is there a way a tailor can take in the body w/o making the armpits too tight--or better yet, leave the arms and armpit areas alone? thanks so much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.