Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got something like 50 ties that i don't wear anymore (aside from the 100 plus in rotation). It seems like listing them individually would be a ton of work (on ebay or the like).
Has anyone used a consignment shop and had any luck (chicago?)?
I guess the easy option is salvation army but if there's an easy way to monetize that would be nice too, at least for some of the RLPL stuff....

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Sell them in batches either here or on styleforum.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
consider turning some of them into pocket squares.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My old ties generally get donated to Goodwill. Occasionally one of the sons-in-law will take one (or several) off my hands. Though, those ties tend to be from my more recent purchases...rarely do they ask for one of the older, more dated ties.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Oxfam.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My wife makes tie skits out them. It takes about 12-15 ties to make a skirt. She'll open them up and sew them together with the pointed end down then make an elastic band on them.. They are pretty cool and plus she now has a 100% silk one of a kind skirt. She's waiting for me to get rid of some paisleys.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I've got something like 50 ties that i don't wear anymore (aside from the 100 plus in rotation)
To answer your question, I wear mine. I haven't purchased one in over five years. My oldest is circa 1976. It's a very handsome dark red, gray and white English wool challis. Challis ties now go for over $100 each. I'm very glad I kept it, and wish I had kept a lot more ties I pitched over the years convinced I could never wear them again. I used to be very much a tie-aholic.

Some ties are so fahionable, that they may be unlikely to ever be of future use. But if they are not extreme, they seem to find uses again at some point. If you enjoy buying new ties, I hope you do. But if you're at all like me, you may look back in 20 years and wish you had kept a few more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is pretty awesome! I donate my old dress clothes to a local public defenders office. People can't get a fair shake at trial if they don't have decent clothes and I figure people should have an equal shot at freedome regardless of the size of their bank account.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.