Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use sneakers, chinos and Polo (occasionally casual button down shirt)to work.
I've been using just white socks.
Seems I'm a little late on this one. What color/type socks are usually work with this combo?

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The general rule is the socks should match the slacks. The disconnect here is you are wearing athletic footwear which probably go well with white athletic socks and chinos that don't look very good with athletic socks. That combination is probably not going to look all that great regardless of the color of your sock. So I would suggest you consider very low half socks or no-show socks. Then the color of the sock matters less. Alternatively you can get some cotton athletic like socks in color - perhaps tan for tan chinos or black if you are wearing black chinos.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
I use sneakers, chinos and Polo (occasionally casual button down shirt)to work.
I've been using just white socks.
Seems I'm a little late on this one. What color/type socks are usually work with this combo?

Thx

What do the sneakers look like? Are they full blown athletic shoes or are they more like casual shoes?

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
For modern running sneakers, the only thing I can think of that might work with chinos in a work environment a bit better than a white athletic sock is Wigwam's Cypress sock.

The reason I like this sock for your situation is because it has heft and marling which keeps it from being at all dress-sock like (you don't want that with sneakers), but is a bit more "refined" than a pure white sock which can be somewhat jarring and gym-like, especially in a work environment.

The heft / marling holds up well with the sneaker but, in a coordinated color (see next paragraph), segues nicely to the chino and looks a bit more professional than white athletic socks.

For stone / off-white chinos, I have found the white/grey (surprisingly) works well. But since the Cypress comes in many colors, you can - as noted in above posts - coordinate it with your pants' color.

Sleeve Sock Woolen Trunk Fashion design

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For modern running sneakers, the only thing I can think of that might work with chinos in a work environment a bit better than a white athletic sock is Wigwam's Cypress sock.

The reason I like this sock for your situation is because it has heft and marling which keeps it from being at all dress-sock like (you don't want that with sneakers), but is a bit more "refined" than a pure white sock which can be somewhat jarring and gym-like, especially in a work environment.

The heft / marling holds up well with the sneaker but, in a coordinated color (see next paragraph), segues nicely to the chino and looks a bit more professional than white athletic socks.

For stone / off-white chinos, I have found the white/grey (surprisingly) works well. But since the Cypress comes in many colors, you can - as noted in above posts - coordinate it with your pants' color.

View attachment 20579
Thank all for your help.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I agree. But I have to admit that I find it difficult to stand around in grown-up shoes. I can walk for miles every day in leather soles, but just standing around is not easy!
There are hybrid solutions to this. Supposedly the Cole Haan zerograndes are great.

I currently have a pair of Beckett and Simonon from I think their November campaign that is a quarter brogue Oxford up top, sneaker on the bottom, except they did it right so it doesn't look like a sneaker on the bottom. Just looks like a rubber sole. Best solution for this I have seen (the cole haans look so odd to ne), and every bit as comfortable as a sneaker for standing around, walking, etc. Super light too. I won't wear them with a suit, but man they'd be a great solution to someone like a doctor stuck on his feet all day who would like to not wear sneakers.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Wear any kind of sock you want. Personally, I'd wear whimsical socks or socks in blue, red, orange, green, purple ... basically any color I could find. Just don't wear super thin, more formal socks. You need thick socks when wearing sneakers.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
Just placed the order for a resupply of Thorlo's lightly padded and contoured running socks...the only exercise socks that enable these old feet of mine to "take the licking and keep on ticking (or is that trucking?)!" LOL. ;)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
If you're set on wearing Hokas or Brooks as part of a workplace casual setting, healthcare or otherwise, I would echo the comments to NOT wear formal socks. I think whimsical works here if you want to stand out, and in that sphere Stance is a hot brand with a growing variety of themes and patterns ranging from Star Wars to NCAA basketball teams. Another option is to go hard core "I'm running after work" and wear CEP compression socks (or the like), which very well may be really comfortable too! White socks aren't bad, but seem to me neutral bordering on boring. I really like the recommendation about the Cole Hahns. While I don't think they're owned by Nike any longer (could be wrong), they must still have the license to use the Lunarlon midsole in their ZeroGrande line, which I presume must be pretty cushy for a 'dress' shoe (although I strongly dislike Lunarlon in my prior Nike running shoes). If it helps, I've even seen someone in Vibram Five-Fingers in a healthcare setting, but please, don't be THAT guy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.