Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought, and had altered, a charcoal Gold Series suit jacket from DXL:

I was unable to purchase the matching slacks at the time due to them being temporarily unavailable (apparently this line is being revamped). Until I am able to get ones that match, does anyone have any suggestions as to what color slacks I could wear these with as an odd jacket? I was able to rule out black since to the naked eye this is dark enough that it would look like a mismatched suit.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
I'm sorry to be so blunt, but unfortunately, suit jackets without matching trousers never tend to look like a sport jacket, rather, they are most commonly described as orphans.

But irrespective of that, if you're happy with the result, the easiest color to pair with those would likely be a lighter grey. Another possibility would be a small houndstooth check in black and white.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I believe you'll have better luck finding SLACKS at a reputable women's store. If however, you'd like TROUSERS to match the jacket DXL sold you, I'd recommend you prevail upon the store manager to make a concerted effort to obtain the matching TROUSERS to complete the suit.

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
I believe you'll have better luck finding SLACKS at a reputable women's store. If however, you'd like TROUSERS to match the jacket DXL sold you, I'd recommend you prevail upon the store manager to make a concerted effort to obtain the matching TROUSERS to complete the suit.
The term slacks can apply to clothing for both men and women.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
As I scrolled down the photo my reaction was that this was a suit jacket. Seriously, they should never have sold it to you by itself. If you scan these forums for "orphaned suit jacket" you will see that it's a problem that plagues many users.

It's going to be very hard to disguise that fact, and even to make it look good--by which I mean look like it was intended to be worn as a separate--with anything else. Flanderian's suggestions make sense, but if you can get them to work hard to find the match, or prevail upon them to take it back (I know it's already been altered, but they should have known better), those are your two best options.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Again, the term slacks is not exclusive to women's clothing.
Anyone familiar with menswear advertisements of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s would resoundingly agree with SG 67's thesis that the term "slacks" also applies to men's trousers. Those ads-aimed at the general population-frequently used the word "slacks" where people with more of an interest in menswear might have said "odd trousers."

"Slacks" also generally referred to trousers that were dressier than khakis and which would be worn with or without a sport coat or blazer. "Slacks" could be made of 100% wool, 100% polyester, or some kind of cotton-polyester blend.

These days, it is not improper to refer to men's non-suit, somewhat dressy, drapey trousers as "slacks." Department store ads still use the word a lot. Still, if you are in a men's store known for quality merchandise, it would be nice to stick with "trousers," and then explain to the salesperson precisely what kind of trousers you have in mind. But you won't get arrested if you say "slacks." (Kicked out of the store, perhaps, but not hauled off to the slammer.)

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Again, the term slacks is not exclusive to women's clothing.
Anyone familiar with menswear advertisements of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s would resoundingly agree with SG 67's thesis that the term "slacks" also applies to men's trousers.
I've always used the term interchangeably with the terms trousers and pants, and have always read and heard it so used without reference to either specific gender.

Must be a new rule! ;)

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
I've also never heard about "slacks" being a term exclusive to women's clothing. I don't think about women's clothing that much, but I've always thought of "slacks" as a menswear term that older men in my life used. I personally just use the term "trousers" for everything, but "slacks" in the usage here is only wrong in that matching suit trousers are the only thing that should be paired with the jacket about, since not even the nicest men's slacks will go with that jacket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.