Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
294 Posts
I like olive colored pants, but can never quite figure out what colors match best in terms of shirts... I'd be interested to hear what solids / stripes /etc most people go with.
I wear mine with a french blue shirt and cigar shell nst's

· Registered
2,689 Posts
In autumn-winter, gingham with a white but lines in something like maroon, dark blue, dark green, etc. With a tweed/thick wool blazer, even with a sweater.

In spring-summer, light shades like white and light blue
Optional - smart cotton blazer (medium or dark colour) and or a cotton sweater.

If you wear a cotton sweater, it increases you shirt options; maybe white base with stripes or multicoloured stripes

To be me, olive is a autumn-winter colour (mostly for the countryside) or worn casually in spring-summer (even early autumn)

· Registered
2,500 Posts
white, blue, yellow, ecru, blue or burg. univ stripe,

blue or red based plaids

blue, cream, burgundy colored sweaters

lighter colored h-bone tweed jackets- lots of options here.

I have two pair of olive or "mushroom" colored pants in my fall/winter rotation.

· Registered
4,130 Posts
White, blue (not French blue), or pink OCBD's work best. Preferably Brooks Brothers must-iron, of course.

Ecru with olive looks too military, IMO.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
the only color I would avoid is a Solid red or a red and white stripe, hence you would look like a Xmas tree. Otherwise most colors look good.If you want to look fallish or wintery go with brown stripes or tan stripes, yellow, in spring and summer I would wear lighter colors, but probably would not wear a dark olive pant, maybe a lighter sage color slack.

· Registered
1,291 Posts
I submit that it would be harder to find a shirt that did not go with olive pants than it would be to find one that did.

Olive's pretty neutral and goes well with a cornucopic profusion of colors and shades.
Yeah...Pink is at the top of my list, followed by BB blue, yellow, and the two BB unistripes, plus assorted tattersalls and windowpane checks.

hbs

· Registered
37 Posts
Oh man, I had a cheap olive suit that made me miserable when I was a little kid, so I see olive in a prejudiced way. It's such a light shade of green (although earthy) I can't see any color other than white working. Every other color with olive seems really 70s to me. Just my personal opinion.

· Registered
143 Posts
Personally, I stay away from logicalfrank's recommendation of a tan shirt on top of olive pants, except for the lightest shade of off-white. Anything more brown than an off-white color is too earth-toned for me and I feel like I'm trying to bring back the 80s. No offense intended, just my opinion. I have a wonderful, patterned olive tie that I like to wear with a white shirt. Brown shoes and belt complete a clean, professional look.

· Registered
2,500 Posts
White, blue (not French blue), or pink OCBD's work best. Preferably Brooks Brothers must-iron, of course.

Ecru with olive looks too military, IMO.
Good call. I forgot pink. I also see your point about ecru. I generally always have on a sweater with olive pants in the winter, so ecru as a collar color under a colored sweater doesn't come on as too military.

· Registered
320 Posts
I think of olive trousers as I do khaki - almost anything goes with them. I might stay away from reds (too Christmas-y - unless it is Christmas) or from greens (for fear of looking like a walking asparagus). Otherwise, have at it!

· Registered
1,291 Posts
I think of olive trousers as I do khaki - almost anything goes with them. I might stay away from reds (too Christmas-y - unless it is Christmas) or from greens (for fear of looking like a walking asparagus). Otherwise, have at it!
Uh-huh...also depends on shade of red (barn red vs fire engine red) and shade of olive (all the way from very green to almost brown or field grey).

hbs

· Registered
1,366 Posts
In solid colors, I usually wear Ecru, (BB) Pink and White with mushroom/olive/taupe trousers. Personally I think that ecru and olive go really well, followed by the BB pink (other pinks, well, just don't look right!). White is an obvious inclusion since goes in with almost all trousers except 'stone' and very light tan.

In patterned shirts, I like wearing a light orangey-brown tattersall, light blue or brown checks and light blue-green tattersall. I think many earthy brown tones will work with olive if you choose the proper olive and the brown tone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.