Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a nice pair of Allen Edmonds Hillcrest shoes. These are Chestnut in color and I really like them. I have read the "rules" on how shoes should be darker than the suit. That said, a true gray or light gray suit would seem to work, as well as quite a few Khaki pants. But would be interested in any other colors for suits you all think may work well with this shoe:

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Light gray and khaki/chinos should be fine. If you want to be a bit bolder try navy slacks or mid to darker gray but not charcoal.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There is an age-old Italian philosophy that black shoes are to be reserved for weddings and funerals. While I do not fully ascribe to this philosophy, I frequently break the rule regarding "shoes being darker than a suit," and think that this being a rule is somewhat ridiculous. The only suit you can't wear brown with is a black one. The shade doesn't matter. Just match the belt to the shoes. check out www.domenicovacca.com to see what I mean.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have AE chestnut shoes but the evanston style. I wear them with med grey and light grey suits. The thing I follow is lighter shade shoes look best with med to light color suits and darker color shoes (chili, saddle brown) look best with navy.

For charcoal color suits if I want to change it up instead of black shoes I use dark brown shoes and/or chili color shoes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Navy, Khaki... I also have a pair of the hillcrest and love them.
They seem a little "light" in color for Navy don't you think? If I had dark brown shoes I would maybe try the navy.

Incidentally, I just bought the AE basic dress belt to match these. I would prefer a silver buckle, but only the wide dress come in silver from what I can see, and basic dress is gold color. I went all over trying to match "chestnut" and very few people have a chestnut colored belt. Johnston Murphy has one, thats almost a perfect match and even has black stitching, but it was more than I wanted to pay and I got a good deal on the AE belt, so can't complain. The AE belt is white stitching however, and would have preferred if AE did black stitching to match these shoes........maybe thats a bit compulsive.

Brian

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Style rules for me.

First off, those are very nice shoes in a great color.

However, the color would not be the primary consideration for me. The style would. They are a bit too casual, in my opinion, to wear with a suit. I might go with a sport coat and trousers, in which case I would be less concerned about the shoes being lighter than the trouser color. I'd stay away from black, but chestnut, like British tan, can go with such a wide range of things other than that. Browns and khakis are a lock, of course, with olive to peacock shades of green also in the running.

One of the Lts in my tank company in West Germany bought a racing green Jaguar with tan upholstery that was a knockout, by the way. Great color combination, promoted by Jaguar as their racing colors of the day ('60s). I guess his family had money:icon_smile_big:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.