Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I made my first suit purchase. It is a lovely light gray pinstripe that pairs well with a bold shirt underneath.

Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't know what I liked in a suit, and, more importantly, what I looked good in.

I'm a slim-build 5'10, 150 lb guy, so trust me when I insist that this boxy suit (complete with pleats) does not flatter me. I also have come to not care for cuffs, and these pants are cuffed.

Still, it's a nice suit, and I don't want to just trash it. Any suggestions? Is the fabric salvageable through a tailor?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
What brand is your suit? Cuffs can easily be removed by a tailor. Most likely the pleats are reverse pleats, which don't look good on most people. It sounds like you'd look good with forward-pleated or flat-front trousers. Reverse-pleated trousers can be converted to flat front, but depending on the suit it may not be worth it. How is the fit of the shoulders in the suit? Do they fit well, or do they overhang? The waist of the jacket can be taken in by a tailor if that's where the boxiness is. Pictures would also help.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
A good alterations tailor can do wonders but, ask yourself, how much do you presently have invested in the suit? How much are the additional alterations going to cost? Would you be better served taking the suit in question to Goodwill...and buying a new suit for yourself that incorporates the design features and fit that you prefer? Good luck with your decision! ;)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Taking it to a good alterations tailor to ask about how much it would cost to make the suit look like you want it to is not a bad idea.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Try sewing in some braces buttons. Pleats were originally designed when men wore their trousers with braces, so wearing the trousers with braces will probably make them look much better on you. Wear it with the jacket buttoned, or with an odd waistcoat, and you'll have given your suit a new lease on life.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
As mentioned, you can get the trouser cuffs changed to flat bottoms and the pleats taken out. Any good tailor will be able to this, number of pleats and types of pleats will reflect cost.

Get a quote from a few tailors, to see if it is worth the cost.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Try sewing in some braces buttons. Pleats were originally designed when men wore their trousers with braces, so wearing the trousers with braces will probably make them look much better on you. Wear it with the jacket buttoned, or with an odd waistcoat, and you'll have given your suit a new lease on life.
Though we don't know which direction the pleats face, but forward pleats were designed for braces and reverse pleats are better suited for belts.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Several years ago I made my first suit purchase. It is a lovely light gray pinstripe that pairs well with a bold shirt underneath.

Unfortunately, at the time, I didn't know what I liked in a suit, and, more importantly, what I looked good in.

I'm a slim-build 5'10, 150 lb guy, so trust me when I insist that this boxy suit (complete with pleats) does not flatter me. I also have come to not care for cuffs, and these pants are cuffed.

Still, it's a nice suit, and I don't want to just trash it. Any suggestions? Is the fabric salvageable through a tailor?
if you want to know what your options are. just go to the search function ask for "removing trouser pleats" scroll down to that post. also try "most common jacket alterations"

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Okay. I'm whetted, so please explain youself.

I'm not sure of the true history, and I'll leave that for Sator to answer, but I know that braces started with flat front trousers. Forward pleats were made by the English tailors, who still designed their trousers to hang from braces. The Italians cut their trousers with reverse pleats to be worn a little lower with a belt. All of my trousers have forward pleats, and I wear them with both belts and braces. I find that they drape much more elegantly than reverse pleats, which add breadth to the wearer. Reverse pleats were designed to fill out the bottom of a suit jacket, while forward pleats were designed more practically.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've never understood the whole issue of "this suit has pleats, and I dont like pleats, so I wont wear/buy it". I barely notice whether my pants are pleated or not with the jacket on. In the case of this thread, I would think making the suit fit properly alone would give it a new lease on life, and require less investment than if one included removing the details that are not as favorable.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Remove the cuffs, ignore the pleats (since they won't show with the coat on), have it nipped and tucked where needed and wear it in good health.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.