Men's Clothing Forums banner
3781 - 3800 of 3804 Posts

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC today is seasonably cool, but sunny and bright. Out of the clear blue sky, former colleagues of mine called to arrange lunch this afternoon, for which I was uncertain as to what to wear, but, being the vain creature that I am, and to ensure that my former colleagues know that I'm enjoying my retirement, I decided to dress up a bit. The temperature was perfect for a cashmere sports jacket, a hat, a scarf, and some gloves.

Sports jacket, boots & cap - Paul Stuart
Shirt, trousers, vest & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Ascot - Harvie & Hudson
Scarf - Johnstons of Elgin

Outerwear Dress shirt Product Fashion Sleeve
Footwear Brown Shoe Human leg Foot
Glasses Smile Photograph Standing Wood
Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Hat
Vision care Sunglasses Fashion Sleeve Eyewear
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Sleeve Standing

· Registered
108 Posts
The weather in NYC today is seasonably cool, but sunny and bright. Out of the clear blue sky, former colleagues of mine called to arrange lunch this afternoon, for which I was uncertain as to what to wear, but, being the vain creature that I am, and to ensure that my former colleagues know that I'm enjoying my retirement, I decided to dress up a bit. The temperature was perfect for a cashmere sports jacket, a hat, a scarf, and some gloves.

Sports jacket, boots & cap - Paul Stuart
Shirt, trousers, vest & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Ascot - Harvie & Hudson
Scarf - Johnstons of Elgin

View attachment 92836 View attachment 92837 View attachment 92838 View attachment 92839 View attachment 92840 View attachment 92841
I like the jacket and the boots.

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC is partly overcast, with breaks of sunshine, and seasonably cool temperatures. For many, today is Black Friday, but, for me, sartorially, today is Brown Friday.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Corneliani
Waistcoat - Ede & Ravenscroft
Cufflinks - of unknown origin - a museum gift shop, most likely
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - New & Lingwood
Boots - Paul Smith
Hat - Laird Hatters, London
Scarf - Ralph Lauren Purple Label

Outerwear Dress shirt Textile Sleeve Tartan
Jeans Wood Sleeve Comfort Khaki
Glasses Smile Dress shirt Collar Mirror
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Fashion Standing
Hat Sunglasses Vision care Sun hat Fashion
Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Smile Collar

· Premium Member
6,503 Posts

View attachment 92892

Cardigan: Epaulet
Shirt: CT
Trousers: Peter Christian (Harris Tweed)
Tie: David Donahue
Shoes: EG DOAK Dover

Happy Sunday!
Great pants, and well tailored. To those who believe you always have to have cuffs, get lost. The sweater also, really fine. A paisley tie has the ability to take a mass of color and swirl it together in a semi-abstract way in which no stripe, dotted or otherwise patterned tie can approximate, it's very traditional and colorful if the colors are chosen properly and I think your tie does not quite fit that bill

· Registered
2,257 Posts
Great pants, and well tailored. To those who believe you always have to have cuffs, get lost. The sweater also, really fine. A paisley tie has the ability to take a mass of color and swirl it together in a semi-abstract way in which no stripe, dotted or otherwise patterned tie can approximate, it's very traditional and colorful if the colors are chosen properly and I think your tie does not quite fit that bill
Thank you for the kind words Sir. And yes, the tie is the weakest link in this ensemble. I have several good brown paisley’s which would produce the desired effect you mentioned. I think your admonition has inspired me to go that route next time I don these garbs.

Cheers!

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The afternoon in NYC is cold, but after cloudiness earlier, is now sunny. I have a members' event at the Met Museum to attend this evening, and thought that I would do honor to the occasion by getting dressed for it. As it is, the cold is giving me an excellent reason to don a flannel three-piece suit, one I've not worn since it was last cold.

Suit & shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Braces (not shown) - Lewin
Pocket square - vintage and unlabeled
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Brooks Brothers
Hat - Lock, London

Outerwear Dress shirt Sleeve Purple Collar
Footwear Brown Human leg Synthetic rubber Electric blue
Glasses Watch Photograph Smile Picture frame
Suit trousers Dress shirt Smile Tie Sleeve
Vision care Smile Sunglasses Hat Goggles
Suit trousers Smile Glasses Dress shirt Tie

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC, after a day of rain and high winds, is sunny but much colder, though entirely appropriate for December. The holiday party cycle has begun - this evening's is a party at a boutique interior designer's showroom and living space. She is, from all descriptions, a maximalist, her designs harking back to a grander era, such that I thought it fitting that I "maximalize" myself for the occasion. Not knowing the coat room situation at this venue, I've opted for a cap, rather than a proper hat, if only to ensure that nothing untoward will happen to my headgear, but, otherwise, I'm letting my taste for formality out for a nice long walk.

Suit, scarf, cap & shoes - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud

Outerwear Tie Dress shirt Sleeve Collar
Brown Comfort Wood Human leg High heels
Glasses Smile Dress shirt Mirror Gesture
Suit trousers Picture frame Smile Dress shirt Tie
Vision care Sunglasses Eyewear Sleeve Dress shirt
Suit trousers Dress shirt Fashion Tie Sleeve

· Registered
283 Posts
The weather in NYC, after a day of rain and high winds, is sunny but much colder, though entirely appropriate for December. The holiday party cycle has begun - this evening's is a party at a boutique interior designer's showroom and living space. She is, from all descriptions, a maximalist, her designs harking back to a grander era, such that I thought it fitting that I "maximalize" myself for the occasion. Not knowing the coat room situation at this venue, I've opted for a cap, rather than a proper hat, if only to ensure that nothing untoward will happen to my headgear, but, otherwise, I'm letting my taste for formality out for a nice long walk.

Suit, scarf, cap & shoes - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud

View attachment 93093 View attachment 93094 View attachment 93095 View attachment 93096 View attachment 93097 View attachment 93098
. Just cannot go wrong with a Charvet tie!

· Registered
184 Posts
I'm wearing a plaid Armani shirt from Saks, which I must have purchased in the early Eighties. It's in a cotton/wool blend, with big flap pockets making a big horizontal line, right where I need it most - across my chest. It's an interesting shirt, with buttons only extending halfway-down - clearly designed for being worn untucked (no-doubt ideated as ski chalet clothing for the Italian Alps).

Beneath that, is a white cotton boatneck raglan-sleeved sweater, cut-off just below my pecs, with massive additions of thick knit fabric at the shoulders - long diamonds running from traps to elbows. This isn't enough. I'm not V-shaped enough, yet. I think that it needs thick oval pads added at deltoid level. I have to buy 'Large' shirts, to get sleeves which (almost) reach my wrists. Otherwise, I'm a 'Small' (even after forty years of lifting - and particularly now that our new Ketovore foodway has returned DW and me to the weights listed on our first drivers' licenses).

Beneath that, is a white long-sleeved tee (size 'Small' - and it's not a snug fit).

I'm wearing some low-rise stretch jeans, which an admirer gave my Personal Trainer, when the admirer (reported as having cheated one of his own admirers - the then-third-richest man in our state - in addition to false-invoicing many construction clients - in addition to shoddily constructing several spec mansions within shouting distance of an ambassador, a banking titan, and an unforgiving family of Argentinian billionaires). Anyway, the admirer made the mistake of listening to my Trainer (himself, straight from having his own looks ruined by New York photographers), who got him to cut off his enviable bangs, and to grease his hair ("for that sophisticated New York look"). One thing led to another, and the admirer (until that moment, a local icon of wholesome muscularity - the apple-cheeked farmboy/construction guy we all wished we could be) lost his enviable subcutaneous fat - and the interstitial fat (marbling, if you're talking about beef) which had doubled the aesthetic effect of his muscularity - started wearing EYE MAKEUP, in addition to the hair goop, gave away all his "Pre-sophisticate" clothes, and fled to Manhattan, where nobody is impressed (despite a media campaign and several self-funded photoshoots with famous photogs - and the usual Instagram whatever). New York Sophisticates are a-dime-a-dozen. Wholesome farmboys with thick bangs, on the other hand, are rare, and welcome anywhere. Big mistake...

Anyway, I've got a lot of expensive clothes from his wholesome 'Star-of-the-Bachelor-Auction' days, since my Trainer is too massive for most of them. I'm the last person on the PLANET to need any more clothes. So, naturally I get them... The jeans (the only blue denim in this house) fit me surprisingly-well, considering that they once fit a guy with massive glutes, quads, and hamstrings.

Oh, and I'm wearing some low-rise dark brown boots, of the type one would wear, probably, for cutting wood at that conceptual chalet in the Italian Alps. Later, for a meeting, I'll wear a dark brown plaid Tom James suit (which, mirabile dictu, actually fits me).

· Registered
7,025 Posts
I'm wearing a plaid Armani shirt from Saks, which I must have purchased in the early Eighties. It's in a cotton/wool blend, with big flap pockets making a big horizontal line, right where I need it most - across my chest. It's an interesting shirt, with buttons only extending halfway-down - clearly designed for being worn untucked (no-doubt ideated as ski chalet clothing for the Italian Alps).

Beneath that, is a white cotton boatneck raglan-sleeved sweater, cut-off just below my pecs, with massive additions of thick knit fabric at the shoulders - long diamonds running from traps to elbows. This isn't enough. I'm not V-shaped enough, yet. I think that it needs thick oval pads added at deltoid level. I have to buy 'Large' shirts, to get sleeves which (almost) reach my wrists. Otherwise, I'm a 'Small' (even after forty years of lifting - and particularly now that our new Ketovore foodway has returned DW and me to the weights listed on our first drivers' licenses).

Beneath that, is a white long-sleeved tee (size 'Small' - and it's not a snug fit).

I'm wearing some low-rise stretch jeans, which an admirer gave my Personal Trainer, when the admirer (reported as having cheated one of his own admirers - the then-third-richest man in our state - in addition to false-invoicing many construction clients - in addition to shoddily constructing several spec mansions within shouting distance of an ambassador, a banking titan, and an unforgiving family of Argentinian billionaires). Anyway, the admirer made the mistake of listening to my Trainer (himself, straight from having his own looks ruined by New York photographers), who got him to cut off his enviable bangs, and to grease his hair ("for that sophisticated New York look"). One thing led to another, and the admirer (until that moment, a local icon of wholesome muscularity - the apple-cheeked farmboy/construction guy we all wished we could be) lost his enviable subcutaneous fat - and the interstitial fat (marbling, if you're talking about beef) which had doubled the aesthetic effect of his muscularity - started wearing EYE MAKEUP, in addition to the hair goop, gave away all his "Pre-sophisticate" clothes, and fled to Manhattan, where nobody is impressed (despite a media campaign and several self-funded photoshoots with famous photogs - and the usual Instagram whatever). New York Sophisticates are a-dime-a-dozen. Wholesome farmboys with thick bangs, on the other hand, are rare, and welcome anywhere. Big mistake...

Anyway, I've got a lot of expensive clothes from his wholesome 'Star-of-the-Bachelor-Auction' days, since my Trainer is too massive for most of them. I'm the last person on the PLANET to need any more clothes. So, naturally I get them... The jeans (the only blue denim in this house) fit me surprisingly-well, considering that they once fit a guy with massive glutes, quads, and hamstrings.

Oh, and I'm wearing some low-rise dark brown boots, of the type one would wear, probably, for cutting wood at that conceptual chalet in the Italian Alps. Later, for a meeting, I'll wear a dark brown plaid Tom James suit (which, mirabile dictu, actually fits me).
Damn, and I thought I had a reasonably interesting life - in comparison to this, I live in a moated monastery (albeit, one with 5G wifi . . .). ;)

3781 - 3800 of 3804 Posts