Men's Clothing Forums banner
3761 - 3780 of 3804 Posts

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC is currently overcast and cool-ish - 19C/66F - and this evening, I have the great pleasure of feigning being a member of New York society, as I am attending the Frick Autumn Dinner at the Metropolitan Club, always a rather dazzling assortment of guests, in a grand venue. This fact, and my desire to record my appearance for posterity has caused me to wear evening clothes while the sun is still shining, a phenomenon usually reserved for attendees of the Oscars, but, no matter.

Included in this posting are a few "lifestyle" shots, two shots pre/post dinner at Crane's, in Washington, DC (a very wet weekend, post Hurricane Ian), and one from brunch last weekend, with a large, fluffy and formally dressed companion.

Dinner jacket - New & Lingwood
Shirt & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Studs - Deakin & Francis
Cummerbund - vintage
Tuxedo trousers - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue

Outerwear Product Dress shirt Coat Textile
Grey Knee Thigh Sportswear Personal protective equipment
Glasses Smile Picture frame Bow tie Happy
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Sleeve Beard
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Standing Collar
Suit trousers Smile Sleeve Dress shirt Collar
Suit trousers Photograph Tie Dress shirt Sleeve
Plant Building Dress shirt Lighting Road surface
Glasses Penguin Smile Bird Outerwear

· Registered
666 Posts
Donegal tweed brown field jacket.
Navy tie and square to match fleck in jacket.
Grey and brown and white tattersall shirt to match tweed jacket's informality.
Grey flannel trousers.
Brown shoes.

I was hesitant to pair grey trousers with the brown jacket and shoes, but those colors have been paired before and flannel goes with tweed's informality.
Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Standing Gesture

Forehead Dress shirt Sleeve Coat Tie

Road surface Grey Wood Tints and shades Fish

Footwear Jeans Leg Wood Flooring

Outerwear Dress shirt Neck Sleeve Tie

Sleeve Grey Beige Pattern Flooring

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather has gone quite cool here in NYC, and it's a sunny, breezy day here otherwise. I have happily opted for a flannel three-piece suit, with a hat and a scarf, in lieu of going full-on winter mode with an overcoat. As it is, I am having drinks early this evening with a new acquaintance at the University Club, which, apparently, still has a dress code for members and their guests. I believe that I shall pass muster in what I've chosen.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt & tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Lock, London

Included in today's posting are a couple of "lifestyle" shots from last night's festivities at the Metropolitan Club.
Outerwear Dress shirt Tie Purple Sleeve
Brown Purple Comfort Basic pump Human leg
Smile Photograph Dress shirt Tie Collar
Smile Picture frame Dress shirt Standing Collar
Hat Dress shirt Black Sunglasses Vision care
Suit trousers Face Smile Dress shirt Sleeve
Flower Photograph Smile Textile Temple
Tableware Stemware Wine glass Building Curtain

· Registered
283 Posts
The weather has gone quite cool here in NYC, and it's a sunny, breezy day here otherwise. I have happily opted for a flannel three-piece suit, with a hat and a scarf, in lieu of going full-on winter mode with an overcoat. As it is, I am having drinks early this evening with a new acquaintance at the University Club, which, apparently, still has a dress code for members and their guests. I believe that I shall pass muster in what I've chosen.

Braces - Lewin
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Lock, London

Included in today's posting are a couple of "lifestyle" shots from last night's festivities at the Metropolitan Club. View attachment 92089 View attachment 92090 View attachment 92091 View attachment 92092 View attachment 92093 View attachment 92094 View attachment 92095 View attachment 92096
What a spectacular venue!
Your outfit is perfect for the event!
Thank you for letting us live vicariously through your adventures.

· Registered
666 Posts

Braces - Lewin
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Lock, London

Included in today's posting are a couple of "lifestyle" shots from last night's festivities at the Metropolitan Club. View attachment 92089 View attachment 92090 View attachment 92091 View attachment 92092 View attachment 92093 View attachment 92094 View attachment 92095 View attachment 92096
Trade you lives, only for a weekend, just for fun.

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC today is sunny and mild, with highs about 62F/17C. After my previous postings this week, I wanted to wear something relatively informal, which is how today's jacket and trousers got the nod.

Sports jacket - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Andrew's Ties
Cufflinks - Tiffany
Pocket square - no brand name
Trousers - Paul Stuart
Boots - Cobbler Union
Cap - Laird Hatters, London

Outerwear Tie Dress shirt Coat Textile
Oxford shoe Dress shoe Human body High heels Jacket
Glasses Smile Picture frame Dress shirt Collar
Glasses Tartan Picture frame Dress shirt Tie
Glasses Tartan Vision care Sunglasses Dress shirt
Dress shirt Vision care Tartan Sleeve Standing

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC is overcast, humid, and has been threatening rain all day, though little has fallen. I have an invitation this evening to a members' viewing of the latest offerings at the Guggenheim Museum - an Alex Katz retrospective. I have dressed for the occasion, though the crowds at most Guggenheim functions to which I've gone have little to no sense of formality in their mode of attire - a much different vibe than an opening at the Met or the Frick.

I have also played wardrobe roulette this afternoon, as it's been a very long time since I've worn this suit, and there was always the chance that it would not fit, life post-pandemic being what it is. Happily, I was able to don it without more than a brief inhalation when buttoning up the trousers. Whew.

The rest of the items worn today are things not worn in a long time - my closets tell me when I need to change the rotation of garments worn.

Shirt - Lewin
Tie & cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - Drake's
Shoes - Alden/Brooks Brothers shell cordovan

Outerwear Dress shirt Neck Textile Sleeve
Shoe Human body Grey Synthetic rubber Sportswear
Glasses Smile Dress shirt Human Tie
Suit trousers Smile Picture frame Dress shirt Standing
Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Standing Collar

· Registered
7,025 Posts
After a couple of days of rain, fog, and chores requiring me to be casual, the sun has returned to NYC, along with cooler temperatures, allowing flannel to be deployed without fear of heat prostration. As it is, I have the chance this afternoon and evening to cop free food and/or drinks from two different retail establishments - the least I can do is look as if I might have the means with which to purchase the vendors' goods.

Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Septieme Largeur

Outerwear Dress shirt Product Textile Tartan
Footwear Leg Human body Comfort Synthetic rubber
Hair Glasses Smile Tie Dress shirt
Suit trousers Glasses Smile Picture frame Dress shirt
Suit trousers Dress shirt Smile Sleeve Standing

· Registered
2,308 Posts
After a couple of days of rain, fog, and chores requiring me to be casual, the sun has returned to NYC, along with cooler temperatures, allowing flannel to be deployed without fear of heat prostration. As it is, I have the chance this afternoon and evening to cop free food and/or drinks from two different retail establishments - the least I can do is look as if I might have the means with which to purchase the vendors' goods.

Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - New & Lingwood
Shoes - Septieme Largeur

View attachment 92388 View attachment 92389 View attachment 92390 View attachment 92391 View attachment 92392
What a fabulous ensemble!

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC continues to be cooler than average, and dry, though hardly sunny.

With the downturn in temperatures, I've had a yen to break out my winter weight sports jackets, hence my selection for the day. As I've given up my laundry service since retiring (and the onset of the pandemic, which put the service out of business), I am now more amenable to recycling a recently worn shirt, since any time savings during the ironing process is always appreciated - today's shirt was worn yesterday. Finally, the second venue visited last night was a high-end Italian clothier, which carries Santoni shoes, reminding me that I had today's shoes languishing in my shoe closet. They languish no more.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Chipp
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Trousers - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Santoni

Outerwear Tartan Product Dress shirt Tie
High heels Synthetic rubber Electric blue Human leg Dress shoe
Glasses Smile Dress shirt Picture frame Tie
Suit trousers Dress shirt Smile Sleeve Picture frame
Glasses Dress shirt Vision care Smile Fashion

· Registered
184 Posts
Thank you for the compliments on my attire and my decor. The candelabra are actually Liberty of London, circa 1905, and were purchased in Brussels about 30 years ago. The apartment is not in an Astor property, but in a 1960's tower block, though the apartment layout was, for that time, unconventional. When we purchased the place, it was a wreck, and it took about a year (and considerable cash) to make it look as it does today. As for an "Astor" property, I once had a doctor who had offices in the Apthorp, at 79th and Broadway (though on the West End Avenue side of the building) - a maisonette, with his offices on the ground floor, and his living quarters directly above. His main consulting room was paneled, with book shelves with glass doors, and elaborate ceiling moldings, though his examination rooms looked like they came from the 1930's - green walls, darker green below, lighter above, with a line of demarcation about 4.5 feet above floor level.
Congratulations on capturing that 'Titanic Era Manhattan' look, in a '60s apartment! The effect is distinctly Pre-war, in the best sort of way. Thanks for describing that maisonette in The Apthorp. Aside from touring a street-level unit in a Stern/Zeckendorf building, my only knowledge of maisonettes, is from photos of Sister Parish's Fifth Avenue maisonette (with the mirrored drawing room ceiling).

The Astors' formula, at the Apthorp, is clearly visible: put the most money, where it counts the most. That barrel-vaulted entrance carriageway is thrilling... majestic. And it's attracting top-quality residents, to this day. Overall, they've copied the basic plan of The Dakota - but in a streamlined and ultra-profitable way. This left the building, (and the one with the almost-irresistible Gothic carriageway) without balconies or other 'leaping ledges' for the apartments. One, or both, of those (I'm forgetting) had spaces on-top (in the condition we viewed them in, they could not be called "penthouses"), from which one could conceivably be rescued, in case of fire (the tragic fire at River House had us scared).

I really enjoy the photos of what you're wearing. In a way, you're portraying a facet of Manhattan, as it ought to be: as t once was, and still ought to be.

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC is milder than normal for the first of November. This evening, I am taking my husband out to dinner for his birthday, to a well-regarded venue in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, geographic and sartorial terra incognita for us both. If one believes the local rumors, Williamsburg is populated only by great roving bands of neckbeards, clad in plaid flannel shirts, jeans and boots, with expertise in only new technologies and craft breweries. I had considered trying to dress more like the natives, but quickly dismissed this concept as being both unsuitable for the occasion, and, for me, impossible to achieve, so here's what I'm wearing instead.

An extra bonus photo of a delivery received yesterday afternoon - opera pumps received just in time for the formal holiday season.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - The Custom Shop (since long defunct)
Braces & shoes - Paul Stuart

Opera pumps - Broadland Slippers, UK

Outerwear Dress shirt Textile Rectangle Sleeve
Black Comfort Synthetic rubber Knee High heels
Footwear Shoe Synthetic rubber Outdoor shoe Sandal
Glasses Smile Dress shirt Blue Fashion
Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Tie Collar
Glasses Outerwear Dress shirt Fashion Textile

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC has turned seasonably cool and sunny, and this evening, I had a cocktail party promoting a social media outlet to attend, so I made some effort to look nice, as photographers would be active during the event. As it is, my husband and I spent a long weekend this past weekend in Montreal, where we partook of all the local delicacies, to the detriment of our waistlines, but to the enjoyment of our taste buds. (Please note also that we marched ourselves up and down Mount Royal, and across much of the city's landscapes as possible, to ameliorate the damage caused by too much good food.)

Lifestyle photos as well as photos documenting today's attire are included. As it was, the temperatures were perfect this afternoon and evening for the wearing of an ascot/cravat - something I acquired on my last trip to London, something I am attempting to wear unironically - hopefully not channeling my inner Thurston Howell III.

Sports jacket, shirt, & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Cravat - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Crockett & Jones
Cap - Paul Stuart

Lifestyle photos from Montreal - dinner at Bar George, and scenery from Magill University and Place Ville Marie - included.

Tie Dress shirt Product Textile Sleeve
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Brown Leg Oxford shoe Human body Dress shoe
Glasses Picture frame Smile Vision care Dress shirt
Suit trousers Smile Hat Dress shirt Fashion
Suit trousers Glasses Smile Dress shirt Sleeve
Plant Sky Leaf Sunglasses Tree
Smile Building Daytime Skyscraper Infrastructure
Glasses Picture frame Smile Property Tie
Suit trousers Leg Dress shirt Door Standing

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC has turned cold, cold enough so that flannel can come out to play without causing heat prostration in the wearer. As it is, I've a book signing late this afternoon to attend, at the Frick Madison, which requires some level of formality of dress (the Gemeinschaft of the membership of the Frick is rather old-school), and it's been a while since I've donned a tie, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Wedgwood
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Johnston's of Elgin (a gift from a generous friend)
Hat - Laird Hatters, London

Outerwear Dress shirt Sleeve Textile Collar
Footwear Leg Human body High heels Thigh
Glasses Smile Dress shirt Collar Tie
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Tie Collar
Outerwear Hairstyle Hat Fedora Fashion
Suit trousers Dress shirt Fashion Smile Sleeve

· Registered
58 Posts
The weather in NYC has turned cold, cold enough so that flannel can come out to play without causing heat prostration in the wearer. As it is, I've a book signing late this afternoon to attend, at the Frick Madison, which requires some level of formality of dress (the Gemeinschaft of the membership of the Frick is rather old-school), and it's been a while since I've donned a tie, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Wedgwood
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Johnston's of Elgin (a gift from a generous friend)
Hat - Laird Hatters, London

View attachment 92782 View attachment 92783 View attachment 92784 View attachment 92785 View attachment 92786 View attachment 92787
Love the outfit, how long is that scarf please?

3761 - 3780 of 3804 Posts