Men's Clothing Forums banner
3741 - 3760 of 3804 Posts

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The temperatures in NYC have plummeted to autumnal levels, and it is sunny and dry - a perfect day for a three piece suit and a proper hat. Today's attire reflects my maximalist tastes - a lot of little details in the entire ensemble, but, I hope, all part of a harmonious whole.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - London York
Cufflinks - Longmire
Vintage watch chain
Braces - Albert Thurston, via Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Boots - J Fitzpatrick
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

Outerwear Dress shirt Tie Sleeve Purple
Oxford shoe Dress shoe Grey Human leg Synthetic rubber
Glasses Photograph Picture frame Dress shirt Smile
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Sleeve Collar
Hat Vision care Dress shirt Fedora Sun hat
Suit trousers Shoe Smile Leg Dress shirt

· Registered
7,025 Posts
I am practically drooling over those boots.
They are available here:

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC is nigh unto perfect - 22C/72 F and sunny with a light breeze, and this evening, early (a 6:00 PM curtain) will be the opening of the 2022-2023 season at the Metropolitan Opera. As I've never attended the opening of the season previously, nor have I ever heard, in performance, the evening's opera (Cherubini's "Medea"), I decided to go, and, as it's been three years or more since I've worn my "normal" tuxedo (as opposed to the fancy dinner jackets that I've sported since parties returned to the social calendar last year), I decided to dress up for the occasion. Happily, the tuxedo still fits. As it is still relatively warm, I opted for a cummerbund rather than a waistcoat (which, truth be told, I prefer).

And, in accordance with the request of an Internet acquaintance, I've photographed myself wearing my Venetian Carnevale masks, as he expressed interest in the one that is normally in the background of my seated shots (the other is just a bonus). While masked and tuxedoed, I look like an extra from the movie "Eyes Wide Shut", or something equally decadent.

Tuxedo & cummerbund - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Budd, London
Stud set - Deakin & Francis, London
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue

Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Grey Blazer
Grey Human leg Comfort Personal protective equipment Athletic shoe
Glasses Smile Sleeve Dress shirt Bow tie
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Sleeve Bow tie
Suit trousers Sleeve Collar Dress shirt Blazer
Suit trousers Beard Sleeve Dress shirt Collar
Suit trousers Vision care Dress shirt Fashion Goggles

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC remains cool and sunny, with s slight breeze. There is a members' only night this evening at the Met Museum, of which I am taking advantage, and also the cool weather, to wear something flannel.

For Throwback Thursday, included with today's photos are two from this date, some 12 years ago, showing me with brown hair, a Van ****, fatter, and with trousers that were way too long. I've learned a thing or two since then.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - London-York
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Braces - Albert Thurston via Paul Stuart, NYC
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart

Outerwear Dress shirt Textile Sleeve Tie
Shoe Grey Comfort Denim Human leg
Glasses Smile Picture frame Tie Dress shirt
Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Smile Gesture
Clothing Jeans Outerwear Dress shirt Bookcase
Suit trousers Shelf Dress shirt Blue Tie

· Registered
283 Posts
The weather in NYC remains cool and sunny, with s slight breeze. There is a members' only night this evening at the Met Museum, of which I am taking advantage, and also the cool weather, to wear something flannel.

For Throwback Thursday, included with today's photos are two from this date, some 12 years ago, showing me with brown hair, a Van ****, fatter, and with trousers that were way too long. I've learned a thing or two since then.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - London-York
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Braces - Albert Thurston via Paul Stuart, NYC
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart

View attachment 91751 View attachment 91752 View attachment 91753 View attachment 91754 View attachment 91755 View attachment 91756 View attachment 91757
A splendid outfit! The Charvet tie is the star of the show.

· Registered
666 Posts
Tweed with grey, orange, black, wine, and navy lines on brownish field.

Wine wool and silk tie to be textured, as tweed, and match the horizontal wine line in jacket.

Navy trousers to match the vertical navy line in jacket.

Black brogues to match the horizontal black line in jacket and tweed's informality.

Outerwear Black Neck Fashion Textile

Textile Sleeve Grey Jersey Collar

· Premium Member
6,503 Posts
^
Good picture.
Nice haircut.
Little of the pattern shown in close-up comes across in full shot so maybe the picking up of this and that color while conscientious may be a wee bit fruitless. Shirt and tie choice very good. From the waist up, very presentable. Too dark below to make much out.

· Registered
666 Posts
^
Good picture.
Nice haircut.
Little of the pattern shown in close-up comes across in full shot so maybe the picking up of this and that color while conscientious may be a wee bit fruitless. Shirt and tie choice very good. From the waist up, very presentable. Too dark below to make much out.
Thank you and, as always, very helpful thoughts.

· Registered
184 Posts
The weather in NYC has cooled to the point where suit-wearing is not a torture any more - at least for today. As it is, due to the last-minute generosity of a friend, my husband and I are attending a concert at Carnegie Hall this evening, a presentation by the orchestra of the Teatro Real of Madrid, which is supposed to be rather gala, hence today's selection of attire.

Suit & tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shirt - Thomas Pink
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - vintage, no label
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

View attachment 91256 View attachment 91257 View attachment 91258 View attachment 91259 View attachment 91260
I love those cufflinks! ... and your deep Cordovan shoes ...and have long admired your Vienna Secessionist candelabra. Your apartment looks like an Astor property (which does not narrow things down, much, since they built & owned a large chunk of New York). When we were looking for a Manhattan place, we looked at several old Astor buildings (which all seemed to have scary people taking them condo: so we went Zeckendorf, instead). There seem to have existed one set of drawings, during the Titanic Era, for millwork in all Astor buildings. The level of Value Engineering (probably imposed upon the Architect, by whichever Astor lackey attended to such things) is clear: precisely the amount of luxury and materials required to say "grande luxe" to the consumer - and not one whit more. You've done nice things with your apartment.

· Registered
7,025 Posts
I love those cufflinks! ... and your deep Cordovan shoes ...and have long admired your Vienna Secessionist candelabra. Your apartment looks like an Astor property (which does not narrow things down, much, since they built & owned a large chunk of New York). When we were looking for a Manhattan place, we looked at several old Astor buildings (which all seemed to have scary people taking them condo: so we went Zeckendorf, instead). There seem to have existed one set of drawings, during the Titanic Era, for millwork in all Astor buildings. The level of Value Engineering (probably imposed upon the Architect, by whichever Astor lackey attended to such things) is clear: precisely the amount of luxury and materials required to say "grande luxe" to the consumer - and not one whit more. You've done nice things with your apartment.
Thank you for the compliments on my attire and my decor. The candelabra are actually Liberty of London, circa 1905, and were purchased in Brussels about 30 years ago. The apartment is not in an Astor property, but in a 1960's tower block, though the apartment layout was, for that time, unconventional. When we purchased the place, it was a wreck, and it took about a year (and considerable cash) to make it look as it does today. As for an "Astor" property, I once had a doctor who had offices in the Apthorp, at 79th and Broadway (though on the West End Avenue side of the building) - a maisonette, with his offices on the ground floor, and his living quarters directly above. His main consulting room was paneled, with book shelves with glass doors, and elaborate ceiling moldings, though his examination rooms looked like they came from the 1930's - green walls, darker green below, lighter above, with a line of demarcation about 4.5 feet above floor level.

· Registered
7,025 Posts
After a very wet sojourn to Washington DC for an extended weekend break, and another wet day here in NYC, the weather has returned to sunshine and pleasant temperatures, making suit-wearing a viable avocation for the day. As it is, I am meeting friends for drinks in the evening, providing me with a perfect excuse to dress up.

Today's attire includes things I've not worn in a long time - today's tie hasn't seen the light of day in years, literally, and the other pieces haven't had their day in the sun in a while.

Suit, tie, & shoes - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - New & Lingwood

Outerwear Dress shirt Tie Fashion Textile
Leg Black Human body Dress shoe Grey
Glasses Photograph Smile Mirror Dress shirt
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Sleeve Standing
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Sleeve Standing

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC continues to be warm, sunny, and dry - a touch of leftover summer to be enjoyed while it can be. As much as I should be donning something less formal, today's suit has been languishing in my closet for some time now, so I've donned it, with some other accessories that have not seen the light of day for a while. Today's tie was a COVID purchase, during the last gasping days of the NYC discounter Century 21, and it's the first day that I've worn it. Happily, it was obtained at a heavy discount - ditto today's cufflinks as well.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ermenegildo Zegna
Cufflinks - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (made by Magnanni)

Outerwear Dress shirt Textile Neck Sleeve
Footwear Synthetic rubber Human leg Foot Comfort
Photograph Mirror Smile Dress shirt Tie
Suit trousers Smile Picture frame Dress shirt Tie
Suit trousers Glasses Dress shirt Smile Sleeve

· Registered
7,025 Posts
The weather in NYC today is sunny and mild, milder perhaps that might be expected in mid-October, but a pleasure nonetheless. This evening is a double-header of events - first, a reception at the Frick Madison for the receipt of a gift of drawings collected by the chairman of the board of trustees and her husband, then dinner out, in honor of my birthday.

I had hoped to wear something a bit more autumnal this afternoon/evening, but with temperatures around 21C/70F, flannel is a no-go. However, I believe that the combination which I've concocted will be sufficient to see me through the evening's activities.

Suit - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC (now defunct)
Braces - New & Lingwood
Shoes - Gaziano & Girling private label for Paul Stuart

Outerwear Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Tie
Jeans Human body Durango boot Oxford shoe Cowboy boot
Temple Tie Smile Picture frame Mirror
Suit trousers Dress shirt Smile Collar Tie
Suit trousers Glasses Smile Dress shirt Sleeve