Men's Clothing Forums banner
3601 - 3620 of 3637 Posts

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,697 Posts
The weather is seasonably cool and a bit overcast today in NYC, and this evening, I am attending a members' preview for the Whitney Biennial. Now, were this a preview at the Met or the Frick, I'd most likely be in a suit, but, as it's the Whitney Biennial, a suit would be a bit much, as some percentage of the attendees usually look as if they've come straight from their painting studios in Bushwick, without bothering to change. I daresay, were there ever to be a museum preview party with a clothing-optional dress code, it would be the Whitney Biennial. I have no idea if the art on view will be of interest, but, if history is any guide, the people-watching will be stellar.

Were I James Abbott Macneil Whistler, I would call my attire today "Arrangement in Grey and Blue", but, as I'm not, I'll just call it "what I chose to wear today".

Sports jacket - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Cufflinks - Fortnum & Mason
Pocket square - no brand name
Trousers & shoes - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Johnstons of Elgin
Cap - Stetson, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

View attachment 85322 View attachment 85323 View attachment 85324 View attachment 85325 View attachment 85326 View attachment 85327
;)

A great rig.....I really like that jacket, it makes for a memorably handsome business casual look!

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC this afternoon has suddenly turned mild, with the sun threatening to cut through the cloud cover, though by evening, there is threat of rain and thunderstorms. Regardless, I've suited up, as my husband and I are having dinner with a visitor from Chicago, someone for whom getting dressed up is a serious avocation, and we, being good hosts, will happily participate in this exercise of civilized behavior.

I've also included in this posting a few photos from last night's preview party for the Whitney Biennial - some art, some me. There were enthusiastic crowds, to be sure, in a wide range of modes - the people-watching did not disappoint.

Today's attire:

Suit & pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Vintage watch chain
Braces - Paul Stuart
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's, NYC

Outerwear Dress shirt Tie Textile Neck
Brown Jeans Trousers Outerwear Shoe
Clothing Hair Smile Glasses Photograph
Suit trousers Glasses Smile Picture frame Dress shirt
Suit trousers Dress shirt Smile Sleeve Standing
Light Plant Infrastructure Sky Lighting
Sky Purple Entertainment Electricity Fun
Building City Flash photography Door Art
Textile Wood Art Plant Painting

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather has cleared here in NYC, and is back down to seasonable temperatures, after yesterday's unexpected warmth. I have gone a bit more casual today than yesterday, with funky socks from New & Lingwood, just because . . .

Sports jacket, tie, shoes & cap - Paul Stuart
Shirt & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Scarf - Johnstons of Elgin

Included is a "lifestyle" photo of myself and my husband, flanking our dinner guest from last night. An early dinner meant that we avoided the rains that arrived later last evening.
Brown Outerwear Product Dress shirt Textile
Brown Human body Grey Flooring Tints and shades
Glasses Mirror Dress shirt Smile Collar
Dress shirt Sleeve Beard Collar Hat
Outerwear Sunglasses Fashion Human Dress shirt
Suit trousers Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Fashion design
Clothing Smile Coat Motor vehicle Tie

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
upr_crust, I've been absent from this site for a few years and am delighted to find you here, still actively posting! Thanks for adding a touch of class and inspiration to my day!
Thank you for the kind compliments - much appreciated!

The weather in NYC is seasonably cool, and overcast, with rain expected later this evening. In the interim, I have plans to take in the Winter Antiques show, now installed at the former flagship Barney's store, before attending an early evening gathering at the Frick Madison. I thought that it might be appropriate and entertaining to look like a civilized human being while participating in these activities.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Santoni
Hat - Laird Hatters, London
Scarf - Hickey Freeman

Outerwear Dress shirt Sleeve Tie Collar
Footwear Brown Shoe Human body Grey
Clothing Glasses Chin Smile Photograph
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Picture frame Tie
Outerwear Hat Smile Sunglasses Fedora
Suit trousers Glasses Smile Outerwear Dress shirt

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC, after yesterday's monsoon, has turned sunnier and milder - an actual spring day, for once - and my attire reflects the slow transition from winter to spring - a sober palette, with touches of green.

Suit & shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Pocket square - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's, Boston (alas, defunct)

Outerwear Dress shirt Coat Neck Tie
Brown Jeans Oxford shoe Shoe Dress shoe
Glasses Smile Mirror Dress shirt Picture frame
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Fashion Collar
Suit trousers Hat Sun hat Dress shirt Fashion
Suit trousers Dress shirt Smile Fashion Sleeve

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather this afternoon in NYC has turned sunny and pleasant, and I was undecided as to what suit that I would like to wear today, so I laid out two outfits, flipped a coin (metaphorically speaking), and chose one. I am sure that I will use the other selection sometime soon. Both candidates are shown below, with the winner being the outfit which I actually have put on.

Grey houndstooth check suit - Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - no name brand

Grey glen plaid suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Bow tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Century 21
Braces & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman

Outerwear Dress shirt Purple Tie Textile
Outerwear Tartan Dress shirt Product Tie
Footwear Brown Shoe Human body Grey
Glasses Smile Picture frame Happy Room
Vision care Sunglasses Smile Dress shirt Fashion
Dress shirt Smile Fashion Eyewear Sleeve

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC has continued to be sunny and pleasant, giving me the chance to use the "option B" attire from yesterday. Looking at today's suit vs. yesterday's, the fit of today's suit is, to me at least, a bit less boxy and a bit more flattering - the difference between mainstream Paul Stuart and their Phineas Cole line - a visit to my alterations tailor might well be needed.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Septieme Largeur, Paris

Outerwear Dress shirt Purple Tie Textile
Footwear Brown Shoe Black Purple
Glasses Smile Mirror Photograph Vision care
Suit trousers Smile Sunglasses Dress shirt Human
Suit trousers Glasses Leg Dress shirt Tie

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC today is giving us all a preview of summer (highs of 28C/82F this afternoon, at least up until it starts raining later), so I've opted to preview summer attire to match the weather. I had tried today's bow tie with my outfit for Tuesday, but found that it didn't work as well as the tie I ultimately chose, but for today's suit selection, today's tie is spot-on.

Suit - Brooks Brothers
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Budd, London
Pocket square - Alain Figaret, Paris
Shoes - Carmina
Hat - Peter Grimm

Outerwear Product Dress shirt Sleeve Collar
Footwear Jeans Trousers Shoe Comfort
Hair Glasses Smile Photograph White
Outerwear Smile Dress shirt Fashion Sleeve
Outerwear Photograph Hat Sunglasses Vision care
Dress shirt Fashion Sleeve Collar Grey

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC has reverted to winter, temperature-wise, at least, allowing me to get one more wearing of today's flannel suit before actual spring weather arrives (or re-arrives - I seem to remember warmer temperatures only last week). In any case, an experiment in pattern mixing - plaid suit, striped shirt, paisley pocket square. I leave it to the judgment of the viewer whether it was a successful experiment or not.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Tyrwhitt
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Paul Stuart

Outerwear Tartan Dress shirt Textile Neck
Brown Jeans Trousers Shoe Outerwear
Glasses Human Smile Fashion Dress shirt
Suit trousers Photograph Tartan Dress shirt Sleeve
Outerwear Hat Sun hat Fashion Smile
Suit trousers Leg Dress shirt Sleeve Collar

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC is overcast, but seasonably temperate, with no chance of rain. The highlight of my afternoon will be a dental cleaning, an event for which I am vastly overdressed, but then the route between my dentist and my home takes me through Madison Avenue in midtown, which normally inspires one to dress better, if only to imitate the mannequins in the store windows.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Corcione, Napoli
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

Outerwear Dress shirt Product Textile Neck
Brown Shoe Human body Dress shoe Comfort
Clothing Hair Glasses Head Photograph
Suit trousers Glasses Dress shirt Sleeve Door
Suit trousers Hat Dress shirt Sleeve Sun hat
Suit trousers Face Dress shirt Sleeve Smile

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC today is nigh unto perfect - sunny, mild, "not too hot, not too cold, just right", as is said in the fairy tale. I am performing an act of recycling today, using my shirt from Tuesday, and altering its context - changing suits, ties, braces and cufflinks. The juxtaposition of objects changes the way at which we look at them (or so they told me in art school, once upon a time . . . ). In any case, it makes for one less shirt I will need to launder and iron - keeping it real in the post-COVID world.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis via Paul Stuart
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Outerwear Dress shirt Tie Sleeve Suit
Brown Jeans Shoe Textile Grey
Clothing Glasses Photograph Picture frame Mirror
Suit trousers Glasses Smile Dress shirt Tie
Suit trousers Smile Hairstyle Dress shirt Sleeve

·
Registered
2 Posts
The weather in NYC today is nigh unto perfect - sunny, mild, "not too hot, not too cold, just right", as is said in the fairy tale. I am performing an act of recycling today, using my shirt from Tuesday, and altering its context - changing suits, ties, braces and cufflinks. The juxtaposition of objects changes the way at which we look at them (or so they told me in art school, once upon a time . . . ). In any case, it makes for one less shirt I will need to launder and iron - keeping it real in the post-COVID world.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis via Paul Stuart
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
View attachment 86353 View attachment 86354 View attachment 86355 View attachment 86356 View attachment 86357
As always, you set the standard for the rest of us!

I am rather curious about one thing if I might? You own a large number of suits, shirts and accessories. How on earth do you manage to remember where each piece is from and it’s age? Surely you have a clothing Rolodex somewhere. Oh, and I won’t call your “Shirley” haha

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
As always, you set the standard for the rest of us!

I am rather curious about one thing if I might? You own a large number of suits, shirts and accessories. How on earth do you manage to remember where each piece is from and it’s age? Surely you have a clothing Rolodex somewhere. Oh, and I won’t call your “Shirley” haha
Thank you for the compliments. As for remembering the sources for most of my wardrobe, I know by the labels in the suits from whence they came, and have a fairly good idea as to when I bought them - same for the shirts and the shoes. A good memory comes in handy in these matters - for much of the stuff from the UK, I remember purchases as part of memories of vacations. No Rolodex, though on more than a few occasions, I am reminded of when I bought something when I see vacation photos of me wearing it - a date before which the item must have been bought.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC is partly sunny, but cool today, with highs of only about 13C/56F this afternoon. I am meeting a friend for a drink directly after work this evening, and decided to opt for a winter weight suit, and a hat, in lieu of a lighter weight suit, and a coat of some variety. As it is, today's suit is one of my favorites, so I am giving it one last wearing before the weather becomes too warm to wear it comfortably - probably too grand for the drinks venue to which we're going this evening, but being overdressed is not one of my fears.

Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - Paul Stuart
Vintage watch chain
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Boots - J Fitzpatrick
Hat - Lock, London

Outerwear Dress shirt Purple Fashion Textile
Brown Footwear Jeans Shoe Grey
Clothing Glasses Chin Smile Photograph
Glasses Smile Photograph Picture frame Tie
Suit trousers Smile Picture frame Dress shirt Sleeve
Photograph Hat Vision care Fedora Dress shirt
Suit trousers Hairstyle Smile Dress shirt Tie

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC is sunny but cool, with highs this afternoon only about 13C/56F. My apartment building is doing maintenance on the water system today, and has shut off all water for the next several hours, interrupting my usual schedule. I have decided to use the interruption to my advantage, eschewing my normal exercise routine for some long walks on this lovely day.

After yesterday's full-on formality, I've opted for attire much less "in one's face" - a favorite sports jacket, with some suitable accessories, including a pair of rather silly Faberge frog cufflinks - copies of an item in the collection of the Metropolitan Museum.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Ike Behar
Tie - Chipp
Pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Trousers - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Gaziano & Girling private label for Paul Stuart

Outerwear Dress shirt Tartan Tie Textile
Footwear Brown Shoe Leg Thigh
Hair Glasses Chin Photograph Vision care
Suit trousers Smile Picture frame Dress shirt Fashion
Suit trousers Hat Vision care Fedora Dress shirt
Suit trousers Watch Dress shirt Sleeve Collar

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The weather in NYC, after a cold start, is predicted to warm up to about 15C/60F by this afternoon - ideal suit weather.

Sometimes, the universe helps in strange ways to tell one how to dress. In this case, first thing this morning, Facebook reminded me that I wore today's suit exactly 11 years ago, prompting me, of course, to wear it again, albeit with somewhat different accessories. It's interesting to see what about me has changed - greyer hair, thinner body, different apartment, no longer a widower - all but the grey hair an improvement. I've included a photo of the "before" state for comparison.

I also have included a couple of photos from last night's members' preview of the "Matisse - The Red Studio" exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art. The preview was packed - both in the gallery and the bar area - a liveliness I've not seen since pre-pandemic. Perhaps things are coming back to life here in NYC.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Tie - Turnbull & Asser
Cufflinks - The British Museum (souvenirs in honour of Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee - just in time for the Platinum Jubilee)
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Vintage watch chain
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center

Outerwear Coat Tie Dress shirt Product
Brown Shoe Synthetic rubber Grey Human leg
Smile Property Photograph Mirror White
Suit trousers Smile Furniture Dress shirt Tie
Suit trousers Smile Hat Dress shirt Sun hat
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Standing Collar
Hat Dress shirt Neck Sleeve Collar