Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You would be very surprised if you ask any elementary school teacher about the list of allergies in his/her class. Peanuts, nuts, orange juice and whey are just some of those.
I can only imagine. And while I have no doubt that real food allergies exist, I also think some are created for want to appearing enlightened, gluten allergies being a prime one.

There is actually a body of evidence and school of thought that suggests the rise of so many food allergies is a result of parents not exposing children early to such foods.

I'm not an immunologist, but I wonder what the rates of food allergies in other countries are compared to here.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,001 Posts
I can only imagine. And while I have no doubt that real food allergies exist, I also think some are created for want to appearing enlightened, gluten allergies being a prime one.

There is actually a body of evidence and school of thought that suggests the rise of so many food allergies is a result of parents not exposing children early to such foods.

I'm not an immunologist, but I wonder what the rates of food allergies in other countries are compared to here.
It goes along with the increasing body of knowledge that the rise of so many allergies of all sorts comes from not letting the kiddies go outside and grub around in the dirt.

·
Registered
981 Posts

It goes along with the increasing body of knowledge that the rise of so many allergies of all sorts comes from not letting the kiddies go outside and grub around in the dirt.
I agree with you all on this. Try to explain to a child in Africa about food allergy. If that is only what you have, your body will adapt and overcome to digest it.

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
Yes, this thinking is known as the "hygiene hypothesis." It basically states that if you introduce your kids to germs and bacteria at an early age, their bodies are better equipped to deal with these when they get older.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

I certainly don't recall food allergies being an issue when I was a child; indeed, the typical school had gallons of peanut butter around at any given time (in sandwiches, on fingers, etc).

We were fairly aggressive about exposing our daughter to many food as an infant and toddler, not even to prevent allergies but simply so that she can keep up with us in food-enjoyment (we're committed foodies in our family). I'm still impressed that she could eat crab brain dumplings when she visited China for the first time (she was 15 months), and she eats natto for breakfast at least once a week. Even I can't stomach natto.

But already the Kid in a Bubble approach to child rearing is turning out to have been a terrible idea. Glad we let ours go play in the creek in the woods!

DH

·
Premium Member
7,063 Posts
We were fairly aggressive about exposing our daughter to many food as an infant and toddler, not even to prevent allergies but simply so that she can keep up with us in food-enjoyment (we're committed foodies in our family). I'm still impressed that she could eat crab brain dumplings when she visited China for the first time (she was 15 months), and she eats natto for breakfast at least once a week. Even I can't stomach natto.
DH
Any young girl that can stomach natto definitely has a strong constitution. You can imagine our fear when we were in Mexico with our 5 year old daughter. When she and my wife went to the restroom, my wife thought that she was just going to wash her hands. Nope, after washing her hands, my daughter starts drinking some of the water straight from the tap. I was thinking that we better find some Cipro fast. But, nope... She never felt bad at all.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
As it relates to the peanut one. My son had a very good friend with nut allergies. Like, I had to have his epi pen when I took them places togther bad.

His mom said that the best the current research could conclude was that a common medication given to newborns that had asthma (which was not uncommon) had a peanut base and that caused the allergy.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,001 Posts
And asthma is another one of those things that seems strongly correlated with the 'bubble child' approach. An old saw went, "My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy." Today, I'm inclined to believe that the opposite is more correct. It has to be clean enough to not embarrass you when company comes but dirty enough for your children to develop a proper immune system. We really are much more durable organisms than some of us are want to believe.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
A friend of mine grew up on the farm. Going to college he started to have problems with grains (wheat and etc). That must be rare. A farm kid in the 50s and 60s is in a lot of stuff. Millions of children have drank raw milk with no problems at all. And yet doctors and scientists are terrorizing Americans they are going to get terribly sick and some die from drinking raw milk. Of course, there are rules about when cows and goats and sheep and horses and camels, etc. are ready, and proper cleaning. Break the rules you pay. Are some of the healthiest children those who played around dead animals at renderings plants?

Then breathing in the soapy spray from the spray bottles could be doing most of the damage. The fumes alone are probably enough.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Aunt was a missionary in Africa. One of the other missionaries when eating native prepared foods would always take a can of beer. A swallow, then a bite, then a swallow, then another bite, etc. finishing with a swallow. Still risky. But worked most times I guess. It seems something stronger than a beer would be safer.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Gluten allergies (Celiac Disease) is real -

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/celiac-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20352220

But fortunately, the incidence in our culture is only around 1% of the population. But even more fortunately, the general public

is clueless concerning the rate of incidence so that Oz-holes can further enrich themselves to the tune of $7.59 billion selling unnecessarily gluten-free foods to the rutabagas ;) that inhabit our land. -

https://www.statista.com/topics/2067/gluten-free-foods-market/

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gluten allergies (Celiac Disease) is real -

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/celiac-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20352220

But fortunately, the incidence in our culture is only around 1% of the population. But even more fortunately, the general public

is clueless concerning the rate of incidence so that Oz-holes can further enrich themselves to the tune of $7.59 billion selling unnecessarily gluten-free foods to the rutabagas ;) that inhabit our land. -

https://www.statista.com/topics/2067/gluten-free-foods-market/
Not to mention the gluten shaming from some when one brings a dozen cupcakes to the office, failing in the process to include at least ONE that is gluten free from that special someone who always reminds us of her myriad of ailments.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Not to mention the gluten shaming from some when one brings a dozen cupcakes to the office, failing in the process to include at least ONE that is gluten free from that special someone who always reminds us of her myriad of ailments.
Whenever informed of a gluten-free option while ordering in a restaurant, I always ask instead for one with extra gluten!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.