Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I do not find it surprising at all, considering the world population and what the global average spend on shoes would be.

After all, what percent of the shoes made each year are made by Church's compared with the global shoe production number - a very low number, something silly like 0.001%, probably much lower.

· Registered
298 Posts
shame on me

I would rather buy used,wore out, made in italy shoes than any pair made in china regardless of the brand name or quality. I feel like china has destroyed the american dream.
Cosmo:mad:

· Registered
758 Posts
Wenzhou also produces almost all of the US police and fire dept sleeve badges. My ex was from Wenzhou and I spent a lot of time there. Not the prettiest city in China. Hangzhou is a bit north and very nice. I was there two weeks ago.

AD

· Registered
1,813 Posts
I think attaching a stigma to a place name is a little rash and ignorant. Naturally, I have no idea what they specifically make there, but if there were some high class Chinese shoes in styles I liked I would probably buy them. However, I prefer American and British because I am a snob like that.

I feel like china has destroyed the american dream.
How dare the Chinese have their own UN-American DREAMS! >.< rrr!

I'll tell you who "destroyed the American Dream": Americans.
There's so much crazy regulation and silly taxation that we tend to let loose the lower end jobs to other countries or up the price and make top-market type stuff here most times.

· Registered
1,759 Posts
I would rather buy used,wore out, made in italy shoes than any pair made in china regardless of the brand name or quality. I feel like china has destroyed the american dream.
Yeah. It's really raping the American dream to let Americans benefit from comparative advantage. What evil people the Chinese are for granting that opportunity.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Well, if they had OSHA and EPA they would be American, wouldn't they.
HOW DARE THEY BE FOREIGNERS!
I'm sure America would be perfect if the world was America.

America has to stop thinking of itself as monolithic.
We wouldn't need many of these silly organizations if the simple courts did their jobs.

· Registered
298 Posts
Well, if they had OSHA and EPA they would be American, wouldn't they.
HOW DARE THEY BE FOREIGNERS!
I'm sure America would be perfect if the world was America.

America has to stop thinking of itself as monolithic.
We wouldn't need many of these silly organizations if the simple courts did their jobs.
I dont think making companies supply earplugs,saftey glasses and machine gaurding is SILLY. Nor do I think requiring companies to treat released waste water is SILLY!
Cosmo:icon_peaceplease:

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Oh ok. You are so right. The world should lay down for us, just because we whine about it and limit ourselves using silly organizations that can be corrupted instead of prudent court cases penalizing problems.

This is now Interchange material.

How dare those foreigners, being different from US! We should just restrict everyone until they become Americans.

· Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although it is Interchange stuff, anybody who thinks competition is on a level playing field is living in cloud cuckoo land.

China is a dirigiste regime which operates for its own long term national interest and strategic aims. American businessmen are not worried about the long term welfare of their own country or their fellow citizens - just the bottom line in any one year.

Pat Buchanan is the most sensible of the American politicians on this subject

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Everytime I see a Chinese girl walking with a Louis Vuitton bag I wonder if it's real or made in China.

I shouldn't care though, oh well..
A lot of Chinese international students in London buy the real thing. They will care it around London and come secure places in China; however, they will avoid carrying it around China.

After my Msc, a thai-boy on my course purchased a LV messenger bag. I asked why he did not get it Bangkok, it would be cheaper. He said he would avoid carrying in the Thailand because if people knew it is real, someone will try to steal it.

He said the same about anyone from the Far East. In places like England, Europe etc they will wear/carry expensive things but in their country it can be difficult, especially for girls - more likely to carry a fake bag. Not everyone in China with lots of money has the luxury and security of chauffeur-driven cars.

There was an Aussie girl at one of my workplaces, who worked in my team. He boyfriend works/worked in Hong Kong and every 3 months he would send the latest fake bag in HK. Before I left the company, the last was a brown Dior bag. She said she hated me because I had a Mulberry bag -we were good friends, so we could tell me about all the fake things she had.

· Banned
731 Posts
A lot of Chinese international students in London buy the real thing. They will care it around London and come secure places in China; however, they will avoid carrying it around China.

After my Msc, a thai-boy on my course purchased a LV messenger bag. I asked why he did not get it Bangkok, it would be cheaper. He said he would avoid carrying in the Thailand because if people knew it is real, someone will try to steal it.

He said the same about anyone from the Far East. In places like England, Europe etc they will wear/carry expensive things but in their country it can be difficult, especially for girls - more likely to carry a fake bag. Not everyone in China with lots of money has the luxury and security of chauffeur-driven cars.

There was an Aussie girl at one of my workplaces, who worked in my team. He boyfriend works/worked in Hong Kong and every 3 months he would send the latest fake bag in HK. Before I left the company, the last was a brown Dior bag. She said she hated me because I had a Mulberry bag -we were good friends, so we could tell me about all the fake things she had.
I like the Chinese. Don't get me wrong. But alot of them are just brand whores. Because of the fact alot of fake stuff is made in China for example the expensive designer goods look fake on them.

· Registered
37 Posts
Somehow this article did not seem surprising at all. The most prolific shoemaker discussed here in any depth is probably Allen Edmonds, and I'd venture a guess that they make somewhere in the range of 250,000 pairs a year? Just a guess; anyone actually know production stats for brands you like?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.