Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the sad occasion of mourning the loss of a dear aunt this weekend, but I had to comment on two of my uncles, whom I rarely see.

The younger of the two is 84; the older is full on to his 92nd year.

Both continue to dress well, as they have since escaping the poverty of their youth. My younger uncle favors Hart Schaffner Marx and ID'd my sports coat (I was coming from work to the funeral home) as one of his own brand. He was full-on East Coast in blue blazer, blue striped button-down, red tie, tan pants. My older uncle favors charcoal suits from his days as a management consultant. Both wore dark suits for the funeral itself.

Both had perfectly shined shoes, the way the Army taught them during WWII.

There was absolutely nothing dated about their appearance. Good-fitting, perfectly maintained "permanent fashion"; although they would recoil from the term. Nothing contrived. Perfect.

Their appearance lent a dignified air to all three days of mourning. By this age, they were definitely wearing the clothes, not the other way around.

So what's the point?
From time to time newcomers here raise the question of whether clothes "really make a difference." If you all could have seen how important it was to see them so well-maintained at those advanced years, there would be no issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.