Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title speaks for itself. I'm sure all you professional dads are laughing your @$$ off.
I am a new daddy and want to avoid any hard feelings toward my child....hahaha.
I personally change when I get home.
However, I'm sure there are times that I will get baby goo on my suits, shirts, ties, pants, shoes and other very expensive wardrobe items.
Any thoughts or remedies, stain treatments etc....?

Regards,
Proud Papa!

Also, feel free to use this thread to post a story when your baby ruined something close to your sartorial heart.:cry:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The title speaks for itself. I'm sure all you professional dads are laughing your @$$ off.
However, I'm sure there are times that I will get baby goo on my suits, shirts, ties, pants, shoes and other very expensive wardrobe items.

Regards,
Proud Papa!

Also, feel free to use this thread to post a story when your baby ruined something close to your sartorial heart.:cry:
Just remember that the baby always wins and that your wardrobe is probably doomed. That said...

-- Be sure to wear washable natural fibers.
-- Switch to bow ties, this will save you a fortrune.
-- Never, ever, hold a baby over your head after he or she has nursed.
-- Change your color choices to off-white and bright yellow. Trust me, you will understand soon.
-- Remember that a spot of half-digested milk on your lapel is a badge of honour.
-- If your baby is a boy, wear a waterproof apron when changing diapers.

Oh, I can go on and on. At the end of the day, just remember that after having a baby life is one quick slide to oblivion, so enjoy the ride!

Congratulations!

Buzz

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I think if it's really important, you will just need to change clothes and/or accept the fact that the baby will consign some of your clothes to the thrift shop if the dry cleaner can't spare them.

Congratulations!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think if it's really important, you will just need to change clothes and/or accept the fact that the baby will consign some of your clothes to the thrift shop if the dry cleaner can't spare them.

Congratulations!
Agreed. I've got a 4 1/2 year old, an almost 3 year old, and a 16 month old. I have separated my clothing into two categories: (1) "nice" stuff for work, events, etc.; and (2) "not so nice" stuff for church or other outings with the kids. I have consigned myself to waiting to wear my nice stuff around the kids when they are older.

When I get home from the office, I quickly change so I can roll around with the kids.

Enjoy fatherhood! :aportnoy:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have an almost 4 year old, and a 19 month old. Be careful, pay attention, and accept that accidents will happen. I have also found that baby wipes can work wonders in removing stains.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Very simple solution. I am surprised at you guys. Let your wife do all that dirty work!:icon_smile_big:
I married a surgeon in solo, private practice. For the past sixteen years, I have had both quality AND quantity time with my kids, though the duties were far more demanding when the kids were infants and my wife was a resident.

Buzz

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Regards,
Proud Papa!

Like you said change when you come home should probably avoid many problems. In the grand scheme of things, its your child! If a shirt happens to get ruined, so be it. Be fortunate you have the opportunity to have a piece of clothing ruined in this manner.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
my four year old likes to grab on to my tie and swing like tarzan - i have to quickly get her to let go, and gently ask her not to do that again. She nods her head, and quickly forgets we had the conversation.
Surely she's too young to understand the concept of life insurance beneficiary ? ? ? - - - -

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
When my daughter was a baby (she's 20 now) my wife was a Registered Nurse working three 12 hour shifts a week at the hospital. This meant that for those three days I went it alone. I had to feed her breakfast, get her dressed, take her to daycare, pick her up from daycare, feed her again, and in most cases get her back to bed.

I got along pretty well by always having a large towel nearby that I could throw over my shoulder or lap anytime I picked her up to do something. I even kept one in the car for those trips back and forth to daycare. The only serious accident was that time I was changing her diaper one morning before leaving and right in the middle of the procedure she disproved that old notion that only baby boys can pee straight up while lying on their back. She took out a shirt and tie with that one. :icon_smile_big:

Cruiser

·
Registered
239 Posts
J-- Remember that a spot of half-digested milk on your lapel is a badge of honour.
The definitive answer came already in the first response.

The most valuable bespoke items you could ever acquire are your children - so make sure you take greatest care the fit is perfect!

There are a few precautions I took when mine were still at the spitting stage - minimise their opportunities to get hold of your ties, have the nanny change them when you ar already dressed up for an evening out, wear a "spit cloth" over both shoulders when you carry them around waiting for their burp... otherwise, carry on as before as much as possible and don't worry too much. If your taste in clothes does not veer too far towards the exceedingly delicate, you will be surprised how well your suits will withstand the attacks of the infant brigade. I have found that, with the exception of ties and cashmere knitwear, my wardrobe survived my heirs' early years without any major loss. Now, the undoubtedly more difficult challenge of the "Can I borrow..." is still a few years away for me.

Congratulations indeed!

dE

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in the right place.

After reading all the responses I realize 100%, that the men on this site are not only well dressed but everyone that responded seems to have his priorities in order as well.
Family first.
This was really nice to read. My wife and I lost our first child when she was just over a month old. She was very sick and we never got to bring her home. Thankfully God blessed us with another little girl who is healthy. I have been waiting for the spit up, dirty diapers, late nights, early mornings and sacrifices for the past two and a half years.
Thanks so much for the congrats and the remedies.
:icon_smile:You guys are great!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.