Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had to throw away my old winter jacket, the lining was coming out from every seam. The good news is, I get to buy a new one! I'm looking for a Pea coat, but haven't really found anything too interesting to me.

What do you use, and does anybody know of a great place to find something. I'd like something warm and medium length. This is for wearing when I'm not at work, so it doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) formal.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I can't tell where you live, so I don't know how warm you need it to be, but how about the Flying Tiger jacket from LLBean?
https://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/s...1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504720&cat4=504714
I'm a big fan of LL Bean's Field Coats which they say are basically the same since 1924 or so. I don't know where your winter is either but this coat comes in a variety of linings and is a nice mid-length:

https://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/s...1&langId=-1&parentCategory=504720&cat4=504714

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
How about a pea coat?

https://www.sterlingwear.com/

Duffle coats are nice too. My wife bought me one for Christmas from Brooks with Loro Piana wool perhaps five years ago. Cost too much, but it's a very nice coat. Warm and good looking.

I don't know where you are, but if it's anywhere that gets really cold, and you're going to spend a lot of time outdoors, I'd also consider a down parka. When you really need to stay warm, nothing else is as good. A coyote fur ruff on the hood looks good, and actually does work to keep your face warmer.

Another very stylish coat of which I've always been fond is shearling in buff color with cream colored fleece. But they cost a fortune now, and frankly aren't as warm or comfortable as a down parka. But they sure do look nice!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I don't understand the recent fascination. with Pea Coats. My Mother wanted me to wear one when I was a kid in the 50's and I refused then, still do now. Because I get them for free, I have been wearing the basic nylon outside/polartech inside waist level jacket. Think a very cheap bomber style. Available for Bean, Lands End and most others. This is what I wear when shoveling snow. If, however, you don't something that is really "round town," but more like business casual, then there are other options. That is a gap in my current wardrobe and I am thinking about one of these as warm, relatively inexpensive, (many X more than what I previously described, however) and looks decent.

Good luck. Fortunately you have some time before its snows.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Saskatchewan? Then I might suggest Johnson Woolen Mills, made right here in Vermont.

They're available in lots of colors that aren't the distinctive black and green or black and red hunter plaids. And, for a slight extra charge, they're available in sizes up to 5XL.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Saskatchewan? Then I might suggest Johnson Woolen Mills, made right here in Vermont.

They're available in lots of colors that aren't the distinctive black and green or black and red hunter plaids. And, for a slight extra charge, they're available in sizes up to 5XL.
You've gotta love an establishment that uses Cliff Clavin for a model.

The green plaid hunting jacket is fantastic.

tjs

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lotus Veldtschoen

Okay, this will date me a bit. During the war and after a range of mens' shoes, etc., was much advertised in Britain: "Lotus Veldtschoen". They were of the highest quality, much admired by the military, and were expected to last 30 (that's thirty) years. For repairs, I believe they had to be returned to the makers. They were very expensive:when your average shoes cost about 12 shillings the pair they cost about 40 shillings (Two Pounds) the pair, with boots at 80 shillings (Four Pounds). I live now in Canada. Has anyone heard of them lately? Are they still available? If so, where?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.