Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a really great weekend/carry on bag. One that you would grab if you were just taking the basics, a shirt or two, some pants, some extra shoes, and your toiletry case. I' want classy material/leather trim combo that you can beat up for years, yet does not cost a fortune. Does this exist? Any places I should check?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Some surf'n turned up these.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are great. I've never heard of this company, and I think they will come in handy for a friend. For this particular bag I was thinking of something a little more on the dressy lines. Like a Tumi carryall or a canvas bag that ages well.

·
Sartorial Sultan<br> Moderator, Trad Forum
8,748 Posts
I think one of these is what you need. Made in Montana and has rave reviews.

https://www.redoxx.com/catalog/cat_safari-travel-luggage.html

I think AlanC has experience with the line. I have been meaning to pick one up myself but the budget is a bit tight. :)
Love the RedOxx stuff. I just bought some more pieces a couple of weeks ago.

If the OP wants something dressier with leather trim that can take a beating I'd go with (add to the shopping cart to get the price). I have the laptop bag (257) and love, love, love it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These Chapmans do look fabulous! I think that is almost exactly what I envisioned. The price is quite reasonable too. I am glad to here about the bombproof durability. That is a key for me. I wonder how they stack up to Filson? my other option is a was looking at a filson small duffel. But these seem great.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am not in a position to compare with Filson. I bought my Huntsman in the early 90s when I was mostly travelling around the UK (I bought it in a small gents outfitters in the village of Leiston in Suffolk and I even remember that it was half price - the princely sum of £65). Now that I spend a fair proportion of my time on a plane it spends more time at home as the closures do not make it appropriate for checking in to the hold. Bear this in mind as some of the Chapman bags are better than others in this regard. Otherwise I have never looked back as their bags are the perfect trade-off between style, reliability and weight.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm just here to plug the RedOxx stuff. They don't work in leather, but they are ex-military and their work is simply incredible. They are also very nice if you call them up to chat about their line. I use the Air Boss and the C-Ruck, but I am also in the market for a leather weekend bag. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I rather like the Chapman medium traveler holdall. Is £239.00 the best price one is likely to see?

Matt

·
Registered
647 Posts
Still haven't found the holdall that I'm looking for. I am liking the Chapman (), the Orvis Montana Weekender (), and the Floto Venezia Duffle (https://www.flotoimports.com/duffleshop.htm).

I have 2 problems. First, I wanted a leather bag, not canvas, but most of the design styles I seem to prefer come in canvas. Second, I'm not sure of the correct terminology for what I'm looking for. I don't like the bags where the zipper extends over a hinged section - that is what is holding me back from the Montana above. I do like the exterior pockets though. Right now I like the Floto most, but it's not perfect. What is the quality/reputation of these bags?

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I see these bags in beatup old leather all the time on TV or walking through the airport, but I don't know how to find the picture in my head!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Still haven't found the holdall that I'm looking for. I am liking the Chapman (), the Orvis Montana Weekender (), and the Floto Venezia Duffle (https://www.flotoimports.com/duffleshop.htm).

I have 2 problems. First, I wanted a leather bag, not canvas, but most of the design styles I seem to prefer come in canvas. Second, I'm not sure of the correct terminology for what I'm looking for. I don't like the bags where the zipper extends over a hinged section - that is what is holding me back from the Montana above. I do like the exterior pockets though. Right now I like the Floto most, but it's not perfect. What is the quality/reputation of these bags?

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I see these bags in beatup old leather all the time on TV or walking through the airport, but I don't know how to find the picture in my head!
Is this what you're thinking?

The site has a large variety of bags. The one I use for travel isn't available anymore, but I've always liked their prices.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.