Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
On my day off today I went into a "off the rack store". Wow what a store, I found a bunch of things at really great prices. One thing I purchased was a pair of Bass Weejuns in burgandy but they are not penny loafers they are a tassel loafer, I have never sseen these before and I liked them a lot. ( for $20.00) I was wondering if anyoe has seen these before and are they Bass weejuns. I will try to post a picture.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I think in order to be "Weejuns" - they need to be penny loafers, technically. I think I saw something like the shoe you describe in Bass outlet.

Still, that's just terminology - you got a decent pair of shoes at a great price.

Pictures would be nice.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^Ya mean to tell me that the tan calf Weejuns I recently picked up, are, in fact, not Weejuns (although Weejuns is stamped on the out-sole and Bass is imprinted on the insole). Damn...foiled again! ;)

·
Registered
754 Posts
...a pair of Bass Weejuns in burgandy but they are not penny loafers they are a tassel loafer, I have never sseen these before and I liked them a lot...
Ah, you young 'uns. Yes, Bass made a tassel loafer that was extremely popular during the late '70s/early-to-mid-'80s, in fact they were a sort of prep calling card, at least where I went to school. I have not seen them much in recent years.

I assume they look like this -- either in black or burgundy? Incidentally if they are of the "kiltie" variety, they are a no-go.

Finally..."Weejun" is just a trade name so Bass can call anything they want weejuns...

tjs

·
Registered
581 Posts
^Ya mean to tell me that the tan calf Weejuns I recently picked up, are, in fact, not Weejuns (although Weejuns is stamped on the out-sole and Bass is imprinted on the insole). Damn...foiled again! ;)
Not that they aren't Weejuns, just that they aren't as relevant to Lisa Birnbach's satirical view of preppiness in the mid-80's. Which is really all that matters, right?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Bass made a tassel loafer that was extremely popular during the late '70s/early-to-mid-'80s, in fact they were a sort of prep calling card, at least where I went to school. I have not seen them much in recent years.

tjs
I dated a woman who wore a pair of these. It was during the early to mid-1980s and she was indeed a bit prep-ish. I think of her whenever I see this particular shoe.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I think of tassled loafers as being more appropriate for women: cute in a way that doesn't jibe with my idea of grown-up masculinity. I wonder where the heck those tassles came from. Celtic traditional wear? Those guys are certainly tough. But the shoe, hmmm, dunno.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I think of tassled loafers as being more appropriate for women: cute in a way that doesn't jibe with my idea of grown-up masculinity. I wonder where the heck those tassles came from. Celtic traditional wear? Those guys are certainly tough. But the shoe, hmmm, dunno.
Tassels used to be a functional part of tying system on a boat shoe. Alden managed to make them purely decorative, non functional part of a dress shoe.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is it but in burgandy. Thanks for the info. I should of looked at the "OPHB".

Ah, you young 'uns. Yes, Bass made a tassel loafer that was extremely popular during the late '70s/early-to-mid-'80s, in fact they were a sort of prep calling card, at least where I went to school. I have not seen them much in recent years.

I assume they look like this -- either in black or burgundy? Incidentally if they are of the "kiltie" variety, they are a no-go.

Finally..."Weejun" is just a trade name so Bass can call anything they want weejuns...

tjs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.