Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

When you purchasde a new pair of shoes, do you wear them right out of the box? Or do you take any procautionary/protection measures before wearing? ie: Waterproofing sprays, polish, leather conditioner.

I just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds. The Manhattan in Burnished Brown Calf. I want to do the right thing before I walk out of the house with them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
If I don't wear them out of the store, I'll typically wear them "out of the box" with no pre-treatment. It's not that I don't recognize that giving them at least a coat of polish is a very good idea that will reduce the chances of scuffs right down past the color. It's just that I'm that lazy:(

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
While I dont treat them in any way I do like to wear them around in my driveway and slightly sandy parking lot so I scuff up the bottoms fairly well. This is to avoid breaking my neck with slick leather soles and it gets an initial crease in them. I think you should wear new shoes for a while before ever wearing them out in earnest so that they have some kind of break-in and you can find out if they are going to kill your feet or not early on instead of at a dance marathon or all day wedding etc.

I dont think I have ever heard or read of anyone polishing new shoes but I have heard of people waterproofing some footwear immediately.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've taken to polishing new shoes before wearing at the recommendation of a local bootblack. In a way it sounds silly, but I think it makes sense. If you scuff them or spill something on them, the polish acts as a layer of protectant. Otherwise the damage is directly applied to the leather.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Every pair I buy gets the Crownship Treatment out of the box.
They never leave the house until then.
I apply heel and toe guards. My heels never need to be replaced.

I add 3M anti slip tape to the soles. This prevents slipping on most surfaces and it also prevents me from ever having to replace the soles.
It's not as thick as topy but I get nearly the same performance without ever losing the feeling or the look that I'm wearing leather soled shoes because it's thin.
After the sole and heel protection I add polish or wax to the uppers.
Shell cordovan shoes just get the heel and sole protection out of the box.
That's the Crownship Treatment.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My new shoes get a quick polishing before the first real wearing. Before that, they get worn on the carpet a few times to insure the fit and properly set the creasing across the vamps of the shoes.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I've never done this, although it makes sense.
Probably the most important thing to do is to wear them around your house, on carpeting, for a substantial period (hours) to make sure they really fit before you take them outside and ruin them for returning.

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
I've never done this, although it makes sense.
Probably the most important thing to do is to wear them around your house, on carpeting, for a substantial period (hours) to make sure they really fit before you take them outside and ruin them for returning.
I agree with jackmccullough. Plus I'd polish them for protection before wearing new shoes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Any shoes with cloth I will waterproof, otherwise I wear them out of the box, and polish/treat/condition as necessary.

BTW I got a professional shoe shine for the first time in my young life yesterday. It was pretty classy!

·
Registered
243 Posts
According to, I believe, AllenEdmondsCEO, or at least that thread, even brand new shoes can sit on the shelf for quite a while before they end up on your feet. Therefore it seems like a good idea to apply cream or polish before the first wearing to restore protection and make them supple again.

As for me, so far I've bought all my fine shoes well-used, so I have always given them a good cleaning and polishing before ever wearing them - out of necessity.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I add 3M anti slip tape to the soles. This prevents slipping on most surfaces and it also prevents me from ever having to replace the soles.
It's not as thick as topy but I get nearly the same performance without ever losing the feeling or the look that I'm wearing leather soled shoes because it's thin.
Crownship,

I'm with you on heel taps (if that's what you mean). What do toe guards accomplish--I rarely get any wear there.

Can you provide a photo of the bottom of one of your treated shoes?

How many wears do you think you get out of the anti-slip tape before you have to replace it? I looked at it, but that was expensive stuff (though of course so are soles). I also worried about the slipperiness factor of leather soles, but find that walking on pavement for a few minutes scuffs them up sufficiently so that it's not a problem. (I learned this after having rubber sole protectors added to one pair of shoes; now I'm regretting having bothered.)

·
2,973 Posts
I know I should

... polish new shoes prior to wearing them for the first time, but I can't wait to put them on and walk around. So, I do. And then I polish them.

I was starting to leave when the currier brought the Cleverleys. I didn't even go back inside, just tore open the package and changed shoes right there.

Regards,
Gurdon

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I have my cobbler apply heel and toe guards, and then I give the shoes at least a few polishings with Meltonian cream before the first actual wearing.

I have a number of pairs "in reserve" right now (some calfskin Aldens that I bought for half-off, for instance) that are awaiting deployment at such time as the current shoes above them in the depth chart finally give up the ghost (the Alden bals are snorting and pawing the turf, awaiting the day when I finally have to buy my 20yr-old BrooksEnglish captoes a one-way ticket for the night train to the Big Adios). I keep 'em all treated w/ Meltonian, applied every other month or so.

·
Honors Member and King Fop
6,031 Posts
I always polish before wearing. I have always heard that it is a good policy and helps protect the leather. With suede shoes I spray with A-E waterproofing protectant. I have never seen any need to go out of my way to rough up leather soles unless I anticipated walking on wet, slick surfaces, in which case I would not wear leather soled shoes to begin with, especially not new ones. I once found myself in exactly that predicament though, slip-sliding on a slick stone floor wearing some new A-Es in an unexpected shower. It was indeed alarming. Luckily, I came to no grief.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

This is a most excellent suggestion. Why don't I think of cool things like this?

We should start a section for different "treatments". Mac's shine treatment, CrownShip's sole treatment are both top notch suggestions,nay, commandments that all should try to follow.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.