Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather forecast here in Canada is saying that I might get 20 cm of snow overnight in the Ottawa region. Since going on the AAAC forum, I have acquired 2 pairs of leather soled dress shoes (AE Park avenue and McCain). With the snow forecast, I am wondering if it is safe to walk out with my shoes outside? I polish them every week-end and I use shoe trees. I think I have all the basics covered. I haven't applied any kind of repellent or 'special products' because they just seem to be a marketing hoax from my perception. Here in Canada, they use a lot of salt and other abrasive products to get the roads clear of snow and ice. There will also be snow build ups when I walk from my appartment to my car and when I remove the snow from my car.

Do you wear overshoes during the winter? If yes, what kind is best for the shoes that I have? How do the sizes work and should the be shapped to match the shoe's design/sole? Can you walk in the snow and get a little bit of salt if you polish your shoes on a regular basis?

What about going in the rain. I have never worn my shoes in the rain because I am afraid it could damage them. What kind of exposure to rain is considered acceptable (e.g. having droplets of rain fall on your shoes, walk on a sliver of ice, get splashed by a nearby vehicule or cross a water puddle)? Do you have to do special maintenance before/after the exposure to water?

Am I overthinking this or am I right to be worried?

Thank you!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Rain is not a huge issue, if it's a normal rain. If it's really pouring, and you're walking through puddles, I'd recommend overshoes. Sizing is pretty self explanatory on the box. It tells you what size the overshoes fit.

Neos overshoes are great, especially if it's really snowing.

Overshoes for snow is really mandatory for good shoes.

If you get caught by surprise and your shoes get wet, but not stained, dry them slowly, with shoe trees inside. Don't dry them with heat, like by the furnace. Bad for the leather.

If your shoes get salt stained, as soon as possible use a dilute solution of 50-50 vinegar/water and wipe off the salt completely (I use a sponge). Then rinse the shoes well with plain water (again, I use a sponge). Let them dry slowly with shoe trees. If stains remain, repeat. If not, polish them again. If shoes get very badly stained, I just get them to the shoe maker as quickly as possible.

I have a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds that are rubber soled. If I know in advance it's going to rain or lightly snow, I'll wear one of those pairs.
[email protected]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your shoes are made to be used. If they get wet, wipe them down and stuff them with newspaper until they dry (don't put them next to a heat source), then put in shoe trees as normal.

The real question is not whether the shoes can stand it, but whether you can stand up. Leather soles have little grip in the wet, and might as well be skis on ice.

Get some winter shoes, with rubber soles and a tread.

I'm not a fan of overshoes (but then again I'm unlikely to see 20cm of snow where I live)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Assuming that you would only ever wear shoes with both leather soles and leather uppers with construction which is welted and not glued...

Well polished shoes should not absorb rain.

Shoes with leather soles can of course lack a little grip at first. Never wear leather soled shoes for the first time in the rain. Wait until they've been worn in the dry a few times and have developed a little natural grip, before taking them out in the rain.

As with any time of the year, rotate your shoes methodically. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the advice. I opted to buy some Swims. I tried them on my shoes and they fit very well. They are easy to put on and they have a soft interior. They only expose the lacing area. I think they will work out great.

As for in the rain, I will know I can wear them without being afraid when the winter ends. I am used to walking on shoes with no grip at all, due to my not so far youth when I was wearing down shoes until they had holes, and leather soles feel about the same.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For hardcore wet & slushy conditions, a friend up in Maine recommended the NEOS line (New England Over Shoes).

I've been looking at:

Villager

and

Explorer

but I think most on this forum, would probably opt for the dress version, UptownerX:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Swims' galoshes for which Mr. Sandstad posted a link for are the ones which I purchased. Since the snow is melted, I didn't wear them yet. I do think that they will offer just the protection I need. The design still gives a good look to my PA.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Perhaps you should consider trading your leather soled shoes for something less likely to become damaged by the snow and slush. These would go well with browns and tans, but would be a little daring for charcoal:

Added benefit to guilt-free wear in the snow and slush? When the freezing rain makes the sidewalks particularly treacherous, you can strap these suckers on for that debut in the Boardroom:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.