Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From today's WSJ.

Q: What do you think about men wearing medium-wash jeans with French cuffs, tie and jacket? My husband thinks it is fine and fashion-forward. I think it is the equivalent of mullet dressing -- business on the top and party on the bottom. To me it just looks too incongruent, especially if it is a suit-coat-type jacket and not the most casual sport jacket. Thank you for possibly settling this issue between my husband and me.
-M.K., Rapid City, S.D.

A: Men don't have to limit their French-cuff shirts to dressy business suits or formal wear. Think of the debonair former Gucci designer Tom Ford. He's been rocking French-cuff shirts without a tie as his signature look, inspiring many fashionable men to do the same.
For years, dashing gents in Rio de Janeiro, Rome and Madrid have long paired flat-front dress slacks with a fitted, open-collar, starched white shirt with French cuffs. It's an elegant sportswear look for warmer weather that Continentals favor for dining out and nightclubbing. They sometimes artfully drape a sport coat over their shoulders. It's an affectation that many American men might find a little too "La Dolce Vita." But on a slender, confident guy, this get-up has a certain panache.
Your husband's choice of jeans with his French-cuff shirt could work if he chooses crisp, dark denim jeans with a narrow silhouette. But just say no to faded, baggy denim -- no matter what he's wearing on top. And if he's really committed to wearing jeans, he should leave the tie off.
As for his choice of casual cuff links, he should regard them as an opportunity to express his personal style. He might pick tidy silk knot links, if he is understated, or flashier gold, silver or onyx cuff links if he is prone to a bit more flash.
https://online.wsj.com/article/SB123681038743900849.html

· Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
I tend to agree with the WSJ response. The problem isn't that he is wearing FC shirts with jeans; it's that he's wearing the FC shirt and jeans with a tie in a business environment.

Wear the FC shirt open collared with the jeans in a party environment and everything is fine.

Cruiser

· Registered
452 Posts
I tend to agree with the WSJ response. The problem isn't that he is wearing FC shirts with jeans; it's that he's wearing the FC shirt and jeans with a tie in a business environment.

Wear the FC shirt open collared with the jeans in a party environment and everything is fine.

Cruiser
Would you agree that cufflinks or even silk knots look wrong with double-cuff (FC) shirts paired with jeans?

· Registered
316 Posts
yesterday I saw someone who appeared to be european wearing an open, un-cuffed french cuff shirt with the cuffs hanging out over a velvet-style blazer and an open collar. Looked a bit too eurotrash but certainly acceptable.

I cannot fathom any environment where jeans and a tie work- can anyone here explain that? That's like how I wore ties when I was 17.

· Registered
2,689 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
I have all my shirts made with french cuffs, but tend to roll my sleeves up, hiding the cuffs, when I am without a jacket. I think french cuffs are a very old detail and were not always considered dressy as they are now.

Smaller, subdued cufflinks may not attract as much attention as the commoner, larger cufflinks seen today.

· Registered
215 Posts
I cannot fathom any environment where jeans and a tie work- can anyone here explain that?
It was a big fad in Korea a few years ago to wear these ultra-skinny, square bottomed knit ties with a shorter blazer and jeans. It didn't look awful, but it didn't look great either.

· Banned
16,023 Posts
Not a fan of double cuffs or ties with jeans, personally. I think no tie with double cuff can be carried off with smart trousers though. Thomas Mahon looked pretty good doing just that in the video about his business. However, it was a soft collar with not much of a spread and looked like blue pinpoint. I don't think it would look nearly as good with those fashionable severe-spread fused collars.

· Registered
2,566 Posts
I cannot fathom any environment where jeans and a tie work- can anyone here explain that? That's like how I wore ties when I was 17.
Art gallery, hair salon, architectural design studio, software development firm, interior design firm... pretty much any creative industry where you have a "creatively distinctive" fashion environment.

I probably wouldn't pair a CL shirt with jeans myself, just because personally that comes into my category of "trying too hard", but I have nothing against it. I think it would only work on someone slender, though.

D.

· Registered
316 Posts
It was a big fad in Korea a few years ago to wear these ultra-skinny, square bottomed knit ties with a shorter blazer and jeans. It didn't look awful, but it didn't look great either.
I would agree that style of tie is almost like a different "Thing" than a traditional silk tie. I've seen some look western and others look academic/collegiate. If it worked as a sort of school boy look then I can see that.

I am too old at 40 to pull it off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.