Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

It seems that many dress shirts that don't have a button-down collar look strange when worn without a tie--the stiff collars seem to "float" in an awkward manner with the points just levitating off your chest.

Have people found this to be the case with Brooks Brother's dress shirts (spread collar, forward point, cutaway, etc) as well? Do any BB non-button-down options look good w/o a tie? Do the collar points float above the shirt a lot?

I'll add that I'm searching for something that would look good with and without a sports coat.

Thank you!

rhz

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am one of those who hates to see a collar point "floating" away from the shirt. As mentioned, spread collars (I have many from BB) tend to do better than pointed collars, particularly under some kind of jacket, but the button down is the way to assure your collar point stays put. I do see many men wearing dress shirts without ties these days. To me, the worst is a collar that hangs out over the lapel. As an aside, I notice that Prince Philip in "The Crown" often wears shirts with the collar floating up a bit, even with a tie. When did the collar stay become standard?

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
Why force it? Wear a button down collar without a tie and a spread collar with a tie. Simple.

I know there are devices out there that will keep the collar down but I’m not keen on applying a complex system of trusses and scaffolding to get my clothes to behave in a married otherwise unintended.

·
Registered
279 Posts
While button-down collars are the best option for what to wear without a tie, I do have non-button-down collar BB dress shirts and I have found that after a washing or two the collars do less, or stop, floating.

Button-downs still remain the better option so make sure to diversify your dress shirts, but don't fret over wearing a non-button-down either.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I wear spread collars without a tie all the time with no issue, always making sure to include the collar stays. I highly dislike button-down collars...
I too have never been much of a fan of BD shirts; however,

1) I agree that they eliminate any concern of an unruly collar
2) They inherently are more casual and therefore naturally appear better when worn without a tie than a standard collar
3) I still prefer to wear a tie most of the time
4) When I wear a standard collar without a tie I haven't found that my shirt collars are unruly.
5) I actually wore a BD sans tie today.
6) Number 2 is the most important and considering how few men like wearing ties they really should be the most popular type of shirt.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I wear spread collars without a tie all the time with no issue, always making sure to include the collar stays. I highly dislike button-down collars...
This. All my shirts are made to measure. Three are button down. the remaining 100 are dress collar. Use collar stays and there is no issue. Which is more pleasant to the eye is an opinion. Given all the "role" issues people have with the BD (just do a search), I find the plain collar to be a better solution for me.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
For those poor souls who have been deprived of a proper appreciation for shirts with button down collars, if you absolutely must wear a shirt open collar and without a tie, you might consider the Columbia vented fishing shirts that I've become so deeply enthralled with over the past year or so and taken to wearing perhaps four to five of the seven available days each week. Some do have a buttoned collar, but the buttons are hidden beneath the collar tips, never to be seen by inquiring eyes. Several of these wonderfully comfortable and versatile shirts secure the collar tips with small squares of velcro under the collar points. In either case, your open collar will not be disrupting your focus by flying uncontrollably in your face. ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
For those poor souls who have been deprived of a proper appreciation for shirts with button down collars, if you absolutely must wear a shirt open collar and without a tie, you might consider the Columbia vented fishing shirts that I've become so deeply enthralled with over the past year or so and taken to wearing perhaps four to five of the seven available days each week. Some do have a buttoned collar, but the buttons are hidden beneath the collar tips, never to be seen by inquiring eyes. Several of these wonderfully comfortable and versatile shirts secure the collar tips with small squares of velcro under the collar points. In either case, your open collar will not be disrupting your focus by flying uncontrollably in your face. ;)
Florida has ruined you eagle. I still suffer through louisiana summer in full dress attire. But alas I am not retired yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.