Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a navy BB suit, and it was suggested to me that I could wear the jacket as a blazer as well. Is this a good idea or would I likely wear out the jacket faster than the pants? If this isn't a good idea, what inexpensive blazers would you recommend (I can't afford another purchase from BB for a while).

·
Vendor
1,739 Posts
If the suit does not have welt edges and seams and has black buttons ,it will be obvious that you are wearing a suit jacket. Here is what differentiates a navy blazer from a navy suit jacket: buttons ( often brass; mother of pearl ;enameled), welt edges and seams, patch pockets are an option but not a "must".

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
There are two things that tend to stand out to me. One is the wearing of a blazer with color matched pants to look like a suit and the other is wearing a suit coat with odd pants to look like a blazer/sport coat. In my opinion neither looks particularly good.

While the suit coat can look OK when worn casually with jeans, it just doesn't work, in my opinion, with dressier pants. I think an inexpensive blazer from Steinmart or Penney's would look better with dress pants than a jacket from an expensive suit, if cash flow is a factor in this decision.

Cruiser

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just wear the jacket with the pants as a suit.

If the trousers wear out before the jacket does, toss the trousers and replace the buttons on the jacket with blazer buttons (brass, pewter, MOP). If it's solid navy blue, it will be fine as a blazer once you've changed the buttons.

·
Connoisseur - Moderator
9,709 Posts
I agree with the others. Most suit jackets just don't look right when not worn with the matching pants. Some of the others can say why in more detail than I can, but it is usually pretty obvious. Cruiser is right when he says that the other mistake of trying to wear a blazer with matching pants and hoping to pass it off as a suit is just as obvious.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Cruiser is right when he says that the other mistake of trying to wear a blazer with matching pants and hoping to pass it off as a suit is just as obvious.
I think this offense is much more egregious. A fellow at my old firm (a partner making in high six figures none-the-less) used to wear a navy blazer with navy slacks. He looked like a 10 year old.

I say that you can turn a navy suit jacket into a passable blazer by swapping buttons. It won't be perfect, but it will work for occasions where you might not want to subject a good jacket to too much abuse (a bar). I don't think you can pull it off too easily w/o changing the buttons, though.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have just bought a navy Ralph Lauren odd jacket that does not have brass buttons but brown ones (don't know how to describe them but vaguely like tortoisehell). I hope this is not mistaken for a suit jacket. The buttons should pronounce its true lineage.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think this offense is much more egregious. A fellow at my old firm (a partner making in high six figures none-the-less) used to wear a navy blazer with navy slacks. He looked like a 10 year old.

I say that you can turn a navy suit jacket into a passable blazer by swapping buttons. It won't be perfect, but it will work for occasions where you might not want to subject a good jacket to too much abuse (a bar). I don't think you can pull it off too easily w/o changing the buttons, though.
I agree completely. It will make a fine blazer once the buttons are swapped. Wearing a blazer patch, when appropriate, would also help.

Either way, don't wear blue trousers. Stick to colors that compliment the blazer instead. gray works particularly well.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a navy BB suit, and it was suggested to me that I could wear the jacket as a blazer as well. Is this a good idea or would I likely wear out the jacket faster than the pants? If this isn't a good idea, what inexpensive blazers would you recommend (I can't afford another purchase from BB for a while).
Of course you can wear the jacket in lieu of a navy blazer for the time being. Once you get a 'real' navy blazer you won't look back though.
Better a well-fitting top half of a navy suit than an ill-fitting blazer. You might be better advised keeping your eyes open for a used Brooks blazer rather than experimenting.

·
Connoisseur
5,988 Posts
Better a well-fitting top half of a navy suit than an ill-fitting blazer. You might be better advised keeping your eyes open for a used Brooks blazer rather than experimenting.
Why would you think he would be wearing an "ill-fitting" blazer? Just because it say Brooks Brothers on it doesn't mean it will fit better than another brand. That will depend largely on how well the jacket is altered. I would love to wear Brooks Brothers stuff but unfortunately that is one brand that simply does not fit me well.

Cruiser

·
Registered
284 Posts
True enough. Substitute 'Brooks' for the blazer brand of your choice, of course.

Why would you think he would be wearing an "ill-fitting" blazer? Just because it say Brooks Brothers on it doesn't mean it will fit better than another brand. That will depend largely on how well the jacket is altered. I would love to wear Brooks Brothers stuff but unfortunately that is one brand that simply does not fit me well.

Cruiser

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.