Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For regular sleeve buttons it seems more or less that 1.25" from buttonhole to edge of jacket sleeve cuff is an accepted distance, it is pleasing to my eye at least - does this distance hold true for waterfall buttons too - comments appreciated, thank you.

· Registered
2,219 Posts
That dimension is a bit much if button holes ....

are to be installed (surgeons cuff) on an rtw jacket. These jackets are prepped for working buttons to be installed, but there is only so much room left for installation. I have found that just over 1/2" is required for a BB 1800 suit with four working buttons.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
I think kissing buttons are when the button edges are touching, but not overlapping, meaning no space between the buttons, hence kissing. Whereas the waterfall buttons have the edges slightly overlapping, as I've usually seen on more of the Italian made suits, so they're more like "humping buttons."
Thats exactly what I've always understood waterfall buttons to be.

I've had a similiar conversation about distance here before; the proper distance is what ever pleases your eye. I like 1.25 myself, but I have jackets with more distance that I like and jackets with less distance that I like. It's all go to do with context.

· Registered
389 Posts
Thats exactly what I've always understood waterfall buttons to be.

I've had a similiar conversation about distance here before; the proper distance is what ever pleases your eye. I like 1.25 myself, but I have jackets with more distance that I like and jackets with less distance that I like. It's all go to do with context.
I suppose there is also a bit of variation in how much overlapping you want with the waterfall buttons. From the suits I've seen, some edges are barely overlapping, while the most extreme I've seen have an overlap of almost half a button.

· Registered
1,441 Posts
The wife of my Italian tailor gets all excited when I talk about "kissing" buttons...I'm afraid if I talk about them "humping" it might just send her over the edge.

She does sew on a mean button though.

-spence

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.