Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have info on where the watchhole (vertical buttonhole through which a bar or watch chain is run)is placed on a db vest? Pics would be helpful.

·
Site Creator
11,752 Posts
Clothesboy:

Great quotes! I have rarely seen a vertical buttonhole on a vest for a pocket watch chain. Normally one runs it through the horizontal buttonhole and then fastens the button.

I have some additional information in The Encyclopedia of Men's Clothes:

The Fob Pocket is a small pocket at the front waistline of trousers or on a vest front designed to hold a watch or fob, which was a seal used to seal letters and documents.

The pocket watch usually had a short chain or ribbon connecting it and a fob at the other end. The watch and/or fob could be placed in pockets with the chain draped between. This practice of wearing a chain or ribbon (connecting the watch and fob) worn across the front of a vest became an essential part of Victorian dress, and was called an Albert, after the Prince consort (husband of Queen Victoria).

Wear a pocket watch with your vest. The pocket watch usually has a short chain or ribbon connecting it and at the other end a fob, which was originally a seal used to seal letters and documents.

The watch and/or fob could be placed in pockets with the chain draped between. This practice of wearing a chain or ribbon (connecting the watch and fob) worn across the front of a vest became an essential part of Victorian dress, and was called an Albert, after the Prince consort (husband of Queen Victoria).

This classic look is accomplished by placing the watch in one of the front pockets of a vest and running the chain through the buttonhole that is at the same level as the top of the opposing pockets, and then into a pocket on the opposite side. The chain should sag equally on both sides of the button. You can attach a Phi Beta Kappa key to the chain if appropriate!​

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy,
Thanks for the reply. I realize with the, if not death, at least comatose status of the pocket watch I'm deep in the weeds here. Hoping that someone more knowledgeable about tailoring history than myself weighs in.
Also, there is still the question of a pocket watch with a db vest. Running the chain through a buttonhole looks unbalanced to my eye.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.