Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the watch I've had for the past few years:

A stupid-sounding question--on watches on this type, how does one properly work the clasp to take it on and off quickly and carefully?

I have no nails, so right now, I use a coin or some other lever to snap off the "buckle" , and then use my thumb and middle finger to "pry apart" the linkage...I have no idea what the correct terms for the parts are...

I'm sure this is not the right way, as it's cumbersome....how do I work it properly?

Also, I want to upgrade to a better watch....any websites or anything that people here recommend to find out about this stuff?

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

· Registered
3,254 Posts
timezone.com

It's hard to answer you question without seeing the clasp. Most clasps differ in small details.

Since most makers use same movements, bracelets and clasps seem to be a way to differentiate themselves.

· Registered
148 Posts
Watches are about two things . . . a) the aesthetic and b) keeping time. Depending on who you are one may be more important than the other.

Personally I like a variety of watches. I have some nice vintage pieces but my pocketbook doesn't like paying my watchmaker for regular service. These days I've moved into more quartz pieces.

The price quality ratio is really good on Seiko products. I like their dive watches and the 8F56 movements which are spec'd to 20 seconds a year. Moving up the price ladder I really like most of the watches from Omega. Breitling has some really nice watches but we're talking serious funds. To me Rolex is over rated and frankly rather common. As crazy as it sounds I prefer the Omega Planet Ocean over the Rolex Sea Dweller (or the new model).

Today I'm wearing a Citizen Navihawk Blue Angles with a watchadoo braclet. It works well with the shirt I'm wearing.

· Registered
65 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "upgrade"?

With my (limited) knowledge of the watch world, it seems that spending more money merely seems to earn you a less accurate, higher maintenance timepiece.
Or more specifically, what do you mean by "better"?

It is a very rare occasion (as in, I've yet to see one) when a mechanical watch keeps as accurate of time as a cheep quartz. However, I happen to be really stricken with the uniqueness and personality of mechanical watches. So for me, I will choose a mechanical watch that is +10 seconds per day over a spot on quartz every time. But if your criteria of better equal more accurate, then you will want to stay in the quartz movement line, and only concern yourself with aesthetics.

· Registered
2,396 Posts
I am not a Rolex fan per se although some models are very nice. If you buy a rolex you will always have value in the watch. the price will go up but the value will as well. That is not always the case in other watches in the same price range. Patek, A. Lange and the like are the exception but they are much more money. A nice stainless Rolex or a two tone will hold its value.

· Registered
2,865 Posts
I don't know what the clasp looks like, but I can make an educated guess based on your problem.

Does holding the glasp on the sides and prying it open work?

As far as an "upgrade," you could look for more complications, maybe a bit of gold, or a manual or automatic movement.

I agree that Tissots are very nice. The less-fashionable Guccis are also quite elegant. Then there's Hamilton, which certainly gets looks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.