Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone decide what watch to wear, based on watch dial color, and the clothes you are wearing. For instance, if I wear a black dial watch, Im going to wear black shoes/belt. I sometimes throw that out the window if Im wearing a blue shirt, Ill match it with a blue dialed watch. How do you decide?

· Registered
464 Posts
That sounds way too much like needing the box of twelve mix-and-match watches and bands my daughter wants for her eighth birthday. I might consider an odd colored dial on a watch with a ribbon band that I would wear to the beach. Otherwise, for me, watches should only have dials in whites, blacks and golds. Anything more and you risk over coordination brain-lock and/or bankruptcy.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Decisions, decisions

I have enough watches for two storage boxes, so, yes, I make decisions about which to wear with what. Generally, though, that is based more on how dressy a watch I want, rather than the face color. I do have a couple of blue-faced watches, and if I'm wearing my custom sapphire links and studs, that might be my choice. Black faced gold watch with black leather band is pretty much de rigueur for wear with dress mess. That also does for most black tie events, but I'll step up to a gold bracelet, depending on the links and studs.

I always carry a pocket watch with gold chain, waistcoat buttonhole toggle, gold plated fossilized shark tooth anchor, and amethyst signet fob for white tie.

As a side note: Apparently, younger folks who are wedded to their PDAs or cells, have generally stopped wearing watches. Their logic is that they always have a more accurate fix on the time from their data devices, and a watch is thus an unnecessary and anachronistic piece of superfluous jewelry.

· Registered
2,371 Posts
That sounds way too much like needing the box of twelve mix-and-match watches and bands my daughter wants for her eighth birthday. I might consider an odd colored dial on a watch with a ribbon band that I would wear to the beach. Otherwise, for me, watches should only have dials in whites, blacks and golds. Anything more and you risk over coordination brain-lock and/or bankruptcy.
Don't forget dials in silvers. That is what my watch has.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
Don't worry about it. Don't worry about matching the strap to your shoes. Don't wear a Casio with a suit and for goodness sake don't wear a behemoth like a Panerai with a Tux but otherwise go with the watch you like.

· Registered
2,163 Posts
I am extremely serious, I have blue/white/grey/black dials for my watches, of course I am interesting in them matching the other items I wear :icon_smile:
Oh, okay. Good luck with that! This is the first time I've ever heard of matching the dial of one's watch to anythng else. I take it you don't wear tan, olive or brown? :icon_smile_big:

· Registered
502 Posts
I always try and match my winder metal shade to the screw in my spectacles and the strap to the elastic in my truss, that way if I ever get knocked down by a runaway omnibus I shall not be laughed at in the emergency room.

· Registered
464 Posts
I always try and match my winder metal shade to the screw in my spectacles and the strap to the elastic in my truss, that way if I ever get knocked down by a runaway omnibus I shall not be laughed at in the emergency room.
:icon_smile_big::icon_smile_big:

· Registered
298 Posts
Do whatever makes you happy. If you're a watch junkie and own dozens go ahead and coordinate to the Nth degree. I own the basic four watches that cover just about every contingency: black leather, brown leather, gold and titanium. And even that might be considered overkill by some.

· Registered
2,699 Posts
Yes, you will, but not for that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.