Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a slim fit. Bough a couple pairs from Land's End and returned them; one was too small (and no larger size available) and the other was too tight for the size (for example anything I put in the pockets bulged). I don't think I like their quality in general. What other brands do you suggest?

I'm tempted by tweed pants from P.C. They look so handsome but I'm not sure they match any of my shirts.

Looking at Nordstrom this one from bonobos for $200 caught my eyes although I prefer a darker color (and I don't know if it's warm):

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
My go-to for wool flannel trousers is Zanella; they always have beautiful fabrics anyway, but their tweeds always have really interesting textures and fabric details. The fabric is thick enough to actually be "warm", as well (unlike many of their gabardine and so on offerings).

Now, that said, I'm going to say that "warm trousers" and "slim fit" are at cross-purposes. The way clothes keep us warm is by creating a shell in which our body heat can generate a layer of warm air betwixt skin and cloth; the slimmer the fit, the less the volume of air we can warm. So if you're really in need of warmer trousers (for example, you live in a place at once walkable and cold), I'd recommend suspending the "slim fit" during the cold season. You don't need baggy, but a fit in which the fabric drapes rather than clings is going to be much more comfortable.

DH

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My go-to for wool flannel trousers is Zanella; they always have beautiful fabrics anyway, but their tweeds always have really interesting textures and fabric details. The fabric is thick enough to actually be "warm", as well (unlike many of their gabardine and so on offerings).

Now, that said, I'm going to say that "warm trousers" and "slim fit" are at cross-purposes. The way clothes keep us warm is by creating a shell in which our body heat can generate a layer of warm air betwixt skin and cloth; the slimmer the fit, the less the volume of air we can warm. So if you're really in need of warmer trousers (for example, you live in a place at once walkable and cold), I'd recommend suspending the "slim fit" during the cold season. You don't need baggy, but a fit in which the fabric drapes rather than clings is going to be much more comfortable.

DH
They look very good. Expensive though!

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
I have a few pair of Spier and Mackay wool flannel trousers. They are currently on sale for $79. I have found them well made and quite thick and heavy, but incredibly soft.

They come in contemporary and slim fit. I have the contemporary, which is a medium rise, with a great drape, but not at all baggy. The leg opening is 16.5 inches, the zipper lowers to a comfortable height, and the waistband sits right at the bottom edge of my navel.

I cannot comment on the slim fit, but the contemporary is somewhat trim, yet still full enough to give a nice drape and flow.

They also have Moon tweed trousers on sale for only $99. I would recommend the brand without reservation. Their shirts are also top notch. A nice length OCBD collar, thick heavy oxford cloth, and a cuff opening that easily allows a watch, but tight enough to be be stopped at your thumbs MCP joint.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re Spier & Mackay, I found the slim fit to be decidedly slim; not constricting, but slimmer than I care to wear. Contemporary fit is a bit on the loose side for my taste but still quite nice, and I imagine many of AAAC's members would like the looser fit as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a few pair of Spier and Mackay wool flannel trousers. They are currently on sale for $79. I have found them well made and quite thick and heavy, but incredibly soft.

They come in contemporary and slim fit. I have the contemporary, which is a medium rise, with a great drape, but not at all baggy. The leg opening is 16.5 inches, the zipper lowers to a comfortable height, and the waistband sits right at the bottom edge of my navel.

I cannot comment on the slim fit, but the contemporary is somewhat trim, yet still full enough to give a nice drape and flow.

They also have Moon tweed trousers on sale for only $99. I would recommend the brand without reservation. Their shirts are also top notch. A nice length OCBD collar, thick heavy oxford cloth, and a cuff opening that easily allows a watch, but tight enough to be be stopped at your thumbs MCP joint.
Yes they look good but unfortunately they don't have my size which is 31.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what is P.C.? Those pants are quite something!

I'm looking for a slim fit. Bough a couple pairs from Land's End and returned them; one was too small (and no larger size available) and the other was too tight for the size (for example anything I put in the pockets bulged). I don't think I like their quality in general. What other brands do you suggest?

I'm tempted by tweed pants from P.C. They look so handsome but I'm not sure they match any of my shirts.

Looking at Nordstrom this one from bonobos for $200 caught my eyes although I prefer a darker color (and I don't know if it's warm):

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Still have not bought. Now I like this one for $215 from Peter Christian.

It's color is both intriguing and unusual. What do you think?
Have several items from PC, shirts, jackets, trousers, waistcoat nice stuff for the price. There are better choices in their range, (Colors ) than those.
Making choices based on intriguing and unusual may turn out regrettable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.