Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everybody!
This is my first post on this forum, although I've been reading other threads for some time.

I don't like what's in my wardrobe anymore : I made lots of bad purchases in my life and I've been selling / giving away a lot of stuff in the last weeks.
I put a lot of thinking into the idea of new wardrobe and I already made few downsizing in the process.

I would like to hear your opinions about several choices I'm gonna face, keeping in mind that I don't have an imposed dress code in any part of my life. I would also try to face things one at a time.

First : Semi - Formal attire

I abandoned free idea of suits and tuxedo (Altough I enjoy going to the theater several times a year, almost nobody respects black tie anymore and the investment is considerable, also hard to carry around if you travel)

I wanna start with 2 hopsack blazers, navy and charcoal, both 2 buttons single breated. For the most formal occasion, I will only pair them with white popelin shirts. Light blue is accepted as well, but I don't like the look of it in these combinations.
With the white shirt, I would also add a tie. I want to purchase 2 ties that are gonna be nice if paired with both the blazers, was thinking about dark green and burgundy as main color.
I can't decide whether to have them:
Solid and weaven
Regimental (just 1 additional color) plain
Regimental (just 1 additional color) weaven.
I'm also uncertain about the additional color of the regimental stripes: things I want to achieve in my wardrobe is the "simmetry" of the color combinations.
I don't like the light blue shirt used under these blazers cause with the navy one, the shirts color is actually a lighter shade of the blazer's one. Use it with the charcoal blazer and the previous relation is not respected at all, light blue is something totally different than charcoal.
With this fixation of me in mind, I would like to hear some suggestions. I was thinking about pale yellow for both ties (if I decide to go regimental).
Also keep in mind that I'm gonna use a silverish tiebar and a single pochette (which color should be determined after we pick up the ties)

Thanks in advance for reading this far, I'm eager to see your answers.

Best Regards
Lorenzo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lorenzo:

You'll get some great advice here. I would suggest you would get more use out of a couple of subtle patterned sport jackets than a blazer.

The blazer has become ubiquitous, especially among the bank guard wardrobe uniforms.
Thanks for your reply sir.
The line between "blazer" and "sport jacket" can be quite blurred.
I have a pretty distinctive idea about the kind of jacket I want : I don't want the bold and shiny buttons that can be often found on blazers, but I also don't want the elbow patch or the loose fit usually associated with sports jacket.

My concerns are about other components of the "upper body"

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I have a pretty distinctive idea about the kind of jacket I want : I don't want the bold and shiny buttons that can be often found on blazers, but I also don't want the elbow patch or the loose fit usually associated with sports jacket.

I own lots of sports jackets - none of them are "sack" suits and none of them have elbow patches. Having a blue blazer is useful. Beyond that you just have to decide what colors you might like. Grey and blues are great colors to start but I like lots of different colors.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
My first sports coat choice would be a blue blazer, period. IMO the singularly most necessary and useful jacket you could have.

After that I would get something in a brown. Grey is too drab if the only other jacket is navy. Grey is a good third choice. I would get a herringbone for winter or a glen plaid for summer.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
I see you (like me) are from Europe which might explain the blazer/sports jacket confusion. My country doesn't even have a word for sports jacket - they are all called blazers :icon_scratch:
Sports jackets normally don't come with elbow patches, although the tweed variety for some reason often do (the British original didn't have them - I guess continental manufacturers thought it looked 'rural' when the tweed jacket started to catch on outside UK).

You mention a tiebar... I think they went out of fashion in the 1980s, but it may be different in your part of the world (and they are useful if you're eating soup :p).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you both for taking time and answering me.

My idea about the "jackets" are already solid, been thinking for a while. Other people also suggested me to drop grey for brown, but i'm not a real fan of it, tried a couple off the rack but i couldn't see myself into them.
Herringbon is one of my least favourite type of fabric, almost gives me headaches. I am considering mainly hopsack, could think about something else like serge or peackeye.

But, as it may not be very clears cause the first message is quite long (my bad)
I'm looking at ties: I want to buy 2 of them, both working nice with each jacket on a white shirt. I've read here on the forum that mainly suggest burgundy and blue, but i'm not a fan of that cause i have this "fixation": If i buy a blue tie, when i wear with navy it would be a lighter shade of the jacket's color, but when i use it with the grey it has no relation with it. So i was thinking about going for dark green and burgundy. I wanted to know, in your opinion, if i should stick with solid color and "weaved" fabric (something like this) or 2 colors regimental with plain fabric (and which secondary color would you pick)?

Thanks again for reading till here

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see you (like me) are from Europe which might explain the blazer/sports jacket confusion. My country doesn't even have a word for sports jacket - they are all called blazers :icon_scratch:
Sports jackets normally don't come with elbow patches, although the tweed variety for some reason often do (the British original didn't have them - I guess continental manufacturers thought it looked 'rural' when the tweed jacket started to catch on outside UK).

You mention a tiebar... I think they went out of fashion in the 1980s, but it may be different in your part of the world (and they are useful if you're eating soup :p).
Yeah, i anticipated i would've encountered some "cultural barriers" since this is an NA based forum. Thing is that most of my European friends are way too "strict" in my opinion, i wanted to have different points of view.
As for the tiebar, i find it very practical and subtle. I talked about thit cause my fear is to have "too much going on" if you add tiebar, regimental tie and pochette.

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Beautiful examples if it's NJ and snowing. But he lives in Italy so I suspect a bit lighter construction and fabric may be in order given the climate.
Au contraire mon ami ;), the frigid tundra of Cassano Magnago is actually 5 degrees further north than tropical Flanders NJ! It's nestled in the foothills of the Alps!

Typical Cassano Magnago residents -

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for late reply!
About weather: yes, lot of people think I live in an hot climate, but that's not the case at all (Altough I'm not exactly "nestled into the alps")
The jackets you posted look nice on you, but I know for a fact that when I have a close up look at some herringbone fabric, I begin to dislike it.
The other patterns are quite good, but here is the thing: luckly, I don't have to dress in any particular way at any given time: I only dress for pleasure, and I already made a great downsize in my wardrobe idea. Because a lot of dresses requires a lot of investment and space, so I decided to go with 2 jackets, 2 ties and 4 shirts (I'll probably buy 2 identical white ones + 2 striped with different colors).
Super fancy jackets are nice, but I'm afraid of not being able to find suitable combination with very limited pieces I intend to buy.
About the heat issue:
1) there's always a chance to use an overcoat
2) If it's really super cold, I would simply go with wool crew neck sweater instead of jacket: as I said, I'm not forced to keep a dress code.
I'd rather have something "lighter" that can be worn without many problems in late spring and covered up when it gets cold.
How does the Op feel about heather?
I think I need some sort of picture from you, sir. "heather" to me is one of those machines you use to warm a room up, but I think you refer to some sort of clothing. May I ask you to educate me, please?

Thanks again for your messages

·
Read Only
2,318 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
About weather: yes, lot of people think I live in an hot climate, but that's not the case at all (Altough I'm not exactly "nestled into the alps")
Tongue-in-cheek! :D Though I bet you could see the Alps if you drove 150K or so north from your city.

Just tugging the leg of friend JBierly as most of we Americans don't realize how much further north most of Europe lies than much of the U.S.A. New York City, which is thought of as a U.S. city in the cooler part of the country is at almost exactly the same latitude as Rome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tongue-in-cheek! :D Though I bet you could see the Alps if you drove 150K or so north from your city.

Just tugging the leg of friend JBierly as most of we Americans don't realize how much further north most of Europe lies than much of the U.S.A. New York City, which is thought of as a U.S. city in the cooler part of the country is at almost exactly the same latitude as Rome.
It's ok, i actually live few kilometers south-east of the city i listed in the registration (sorry, but since it's public I'm not that confident in disclosing it).
By the way, i can see prealps from my town if the day is clear and i go up a bridge or something like that, to see the real Alps i actually just need to get more altitude, less than 30 kilometers away from my home and there are a lot of good places to see them (just a portion, mainly Monte Rosa). To be IN the Alps properly called, i need 1:30 h drive.

About the climate, it's not only determined by climate. New York is by the sea, while i need a 2 hours drive to get my feet wet in the mediterranean ;)

Sorry for the OT

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.