Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having, over the last few years, stepped up the quality of my wardrobe I have found that the care and maintenance of my clothes is almost like having another child.

On a daily basis I wind my watch, tree my shoes, brush my shoes and brush my suit.

Weekly I iron my shirts and non-suit trousers.

Bi-weekly, or so, I spot steam my suits and polish my shoes.

Bi monthly, or so, I polish my belts, clean my wallet, clean my watch bands clean the cases of my watches, clean my cuff links, and steam my ties

As needed I sew buttons, and seasonally take my suits and jackets to the dry cleaner. Repairs done at the tailor or cobbler as needed as well.

Am I over doing it? Worse, am I crazy for enjoying it? What is your routine and am I missing something?

PS...it gets crazier if I add my personal maintenance routine into it...Im one of those nutty "wet shavers" and that is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Up To You

It's really up to you if you want to do all that stuff. I don't spend that much time cleaning wallet and watch bands, and I don't do my own shirts. I do brush my suits and shoes, put in trees, and do a bit of steaming. I should do more steaming than I do.

Clothing can be just as much a hobby as anything else. If you compare what time you spend on clothes to the guy next door, you probably seem overboard. But if you compare what time you spend on this hobby to what the average model train enthusiast or gardener or whatever spends, then you may well be below their mark.

And as long as you are enjoying it, have at it. Now, if I could find someone so extreme that s/he would iron MY shirts as a hobby . . . .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not my hobby....that sort of my point. My "hobby" if you will is cycling, I train 10-12 hours a week. Then I am a husband, father of 2, and an attorney with my own practice. I was just wondering if my routine was overkill...as for the watches, I maintain them as I do because I wear only leather bands and am an acidic sweater.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The schedule may be a bit aggressive

While they all sound worthwhile, you may find that you could relax the schedule for some of those activities and be none the worse. Except for the watch, of course. And it's nice to know someone else who actually winds their watch -- manual winders are my favorite kind these days. I wind a few every day.

This one today (sorry if this is too OT):

Marc

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The two on the right, Heuer and Movado, are my everyday watches. The Heuer is manual wind. The Seiko is an auto and I wear it a few times a month (I wore it yesterday in fact). The Heuer Autavia on the right is my father's watch and I do not wear it. It is auto, and as you can see I havent wound it lately.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Having, over the last few years, stepped up the quality of my wardrobe I have found that the care and maintenance of my clothes is almost like having another child.

On a daily basis I wind my watch, tree my shoes, brush my shoes and brush my suit.

Weekly I iron my shirts and non-suit trousers.

Bi-weekly, or so, I spot steam my suits and polish my shoes.

Bi monthly, or so, I polish my belts, clean my wallet, clean my watch bands clean the cases of my watches, clean my cuff links, and steam my ties

As needed I sew buttons, and seasonally take my suits and jackets to the dry cleaner. Repairs done at the tailor or cobbler as needed as well.

Am I over doing it? Worse, am I crazy for enjoying it? What is your routine and am I missing something?

PS...it gets crazier if I add my personal maintenance routine into it...Im one of those nutty "wet shavers" and that is a whole 'nother ball of wax.
If by "wet shaver" you mean "not using an electric razor", then that's what I'd call "normal shaver" :).

I've been using a shaving brush and bowl for my morning shave for the last couple of years and I'll never go back. It's a very relaxing thing to do in the morning before the rigours of the day ahead.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
This routine sounds like way too much to me.

Also, I infer from your question that you also think it's too much. If it's cutting into time for other things you would rather be doing, whether those things are reading, spending time with your kids, training, or sleeping, then it's too much. If you enjoy it, and you can fit it easily into your other activities, there's probably no problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I empathize with your routine as I, myself, go to similar lengths to maintain my investment in my wardrobe which is in the tens of thousands of dollars. You too probably have at least twenty thousand invested in your wardrobe and so like any other investment careful attention is required.

I do not devote the attention to watches that you do, but I do religiously polish my shoes, brush my suits, and iron my shirts. With the proper care a quality custom suit can last 10 to 20 years so I don't mind doing it. If I can wear a suit for 10 years that I paid $2,000 for then I consider that a solid return on my investment. Plus, like most men on this forum I love clothes so I don't mind taking care of them anymore than a car enthusiast minds washing and detailing his classic automobile.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
First of all you are, by example, teaching your children to care for and value the things they own. I am sure that even if they dont mention you doing it it is still making an impression. As for whether or not its "too much" I just looked at your list and assigned a time value to each activity and I would say its not that big a deal. You dont have many "daily" activities that take more than a few minutes.

Your weekly ironing is nothing, what's it take, maybe an hour? When I was growing up we had an ironing board make an appearance all the time, it was a household activity no different than cooking or dusting. My father polished his shoes and taught us to polish ours as well. He had one of those great shoe-shine boxes with the shoe rest on top that also served as a handle and inside it had all kinds of good shoe related goodies. try finding that shoe shine kit in a store today! its an ebay item at best.

As for your shaving - big deal, again I used to watch my father go through the whole process with the brush and the soap etc. Your alternative is to use an electric razor and save 3 minutes - big deal.

All of these activities occur in your house where your family is, you arent missing in action, you are home doing things, its not like you can't talk and do them at the same time. I doubt you yell "shut up, cant you see I'm ironing a shirt !".

What's a real time-eater is your solitary activity of cycling. As an attorney you no doubt work long hours, more than 40 I would guess. Cycling, going to the gym or jogging/walking would all be the same thing in terms of time, specifically time most likely spent alone. Most people would consider 4-6 hours a week adequate to maintain their health. you refer to it as "training" so I would assume you train for events and compete somehow as opposed to just "riding my bike" for 10-12 hours a week. If you are in a personal time crunch your choice is to lower the time spent doing something solitary versus doing something at home.

Is your routine overkill? No, its just something that has developed recently and your not sure how "too much" is defined. Since you asked, its not weird that you enjoy it, its a hobby. Are you missing something? I assume you mean something else you should be doing to care for all your clothes and other goodies, it doesn't look like it. It looks about right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wet shaving...for those who asked is soap, brush and in my case, a 1961 Gillette Fatboy adjustable double edge safety razor. This truly is an indulgence in luxury that I got into intentionally for that specific purpose and started with only on weekends. Now my wife insists that I shave this way all the time....she LOVES my baby butt smooth face.

As for my cycling, yes I train for events. I race often and participate in other "challenge" type events that are not technically racing. I have a coach and follow a program where in winter when I am inside on a trainer I train before my kids get up or after they go to bed. In season, during the week I actually manage to get much of my training in mid-day, and long weekend rides start hours before my family wakes.

Truth be told, my routine doesnt seem to take too much time and I do enjoy most of it...I dont like polishing shoes, but I do like the results. My concern was redundancy or overkill on my part. Having 20 or so dress shirts in my closet means I dont have to iron weekly, but having 60 or so hours weekly devoted to work, and 10-12 to training, at least 24 devoted to my kids, a few to my wife and a few to TV (usually wife and TV time is together!)...I run my life on a pretty tight schedule and like the tasks done when they are scheduled to be done.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
^^Indeed, our daily routines/rituals can have a calming effect and provide a certain degree of comfort in our typically over stressed lives. Each morning, I find myself trying to carve out 10 to 15 uninterrupted minutes for a slow, deliberate and nick-free shave. Returning home from an event, I actually enjoy taking off and brushing my suit/sport coats and hanging them on the dressing valet to air. On those occasions I am most stressed, I invariably pull out a couple pair of shoes and polish them and in the process, calm my mind and sooth my spirit (Note: this also serves as good justification for the next she purchase as I explain to the wife, "well the cost of these shoes is less than the cost of a good therapist!"). In all three examples, the time invested...is a good thing.

Yes, the time available to us each day is certainly a finite amount but, through multi-tasking we can sometimes magnify the effectiveness with which we use our time. My wife and I increase our together time by exercising together, two hours per day, six days per week and we further enhance the effectiveness with which we use that time by combining our TV watching with our cardio-exercise routines. As our daughters were growing up, exercise was a family affair...until the girls became teenagers and parents were no longer considered cool. :( Aah well, I sense myself beginning to ramble...time to end this post! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.