Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article on lingering jacket and tie standards in a few DC restaurants. If you want a bracing whiff of pseudo-egalitarian idiocracy-like outrage, check out the comments in response to the article:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Article on lingering jacket and tie standards in a few DC restaurants. If you want a bracing whiff of pseudo-egalitarian idiocracy-like outrage, check out the comments in response to the article:
Thanks for sharing. This is one of the reasons I joined a private club. Our dress code (no jeans or sneakers, jacket required after 5) is hardly strict, but is a big step up from the norm in southern California. Hopefully the large number of Navy and Marine vets in our membership will help keep standards up.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Man did I just leave the most incendiary comment possible on that message board!! It's like kicking a bee's nest! I would like to say I cant wait to see the reaction but I doubt I will bother to look again. I do like the fact that places are holding the line, I would like to see some new place open up with a similar dress code instead of just legacy restaurants remaining stubborn.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Wonder where "1789" in Georgetown gets its loaner blazers. Since they apparently are so well-mannered they don't pursue those who wear them home, it sounds like an invitation to snag a wardrobe item for the (actually not bad at $18-$38 for an entree) price of a meal:icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wonder where "1789" in Georgetown gets its loaner blazers. Since they apparently are so well-mannered they don't pursue those who wear them home, it sounds like an invitation to snag a wardrobe item for the (actually not bad at $18-$38 for an entree) price of a meal:icon_smile_big:
The curmudgeon in me would like to believe one of them is the blazer that was being hocked on eBay by the topless model a couple months ago :devil:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm just surprised people are still eating at 1789... after Ris Lacoste left, that place has had atrocious food.

I've witnessed them giving a loaner jacket to a college aged guy taking his date to Citronelle. Although, I do believe these are things they tend to enforce more in DC and NYC, because the French Laundry said they require jackets, but when I was there last, I counted at least 3 men at different tables without jackets or ties.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm just surprised people are still eating at 1789... after Ris Lacoste left, that place has had atrocious food.
Interesting. I was just about to make a reservation too - next week is "Restaurant Week" in DC, and I thought I'd try it out. Although, truth be told, with the economy like this it seems like there is one of these every month - Baltimore had a "Restaurant 2-weeks" in January.

Anyone ever dined at Bistrot Lepic, Willard Room, or the Inn at Little Washington?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Interesting. I was just about to make a reservation too - next week is "Restaurant Week" in DC, and I thought I'd try it out. Although, truth be told, with the economy like this it seems like there is one of these every month - Baltimore had a "Restaurant 2-weeks" in January.

Anyone ever dined at Bistrot Lepic, Willard Room, or the Inn at Little Washington?
Actually, it looks like Lacoste's replacement, Nathan Beauchamp, is out at 1789, and they got a new chef a few months ago, so perhaps the food has gotten better. Actually, I hope the service has improved as well... I think I had a Georgetown student who didn't seem to care that last time I was there.

The Willard and the Inn are fantastic. The food and service at the Inn are amazing, but it is quite a drive. The Willard shines in the service department, at least when I 'm there. However, both are more "formal." If you want a slightly less formal/stuff place and are willing to drive, try VOLT in Frederick. The 21-course tasting menu is amazing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Actually, it looks like Lacoste's replacement, Nathan Beauchamp, is out at 1789, and they got a new chef a few months ago, so perhaps the food has gotten better. Actually, I hope the service has improved as well... I think I had a Georgetown student who didn't seem to care that last time I was there.

The Willard and the Inn are fantastic. The food and service at the Inn are amazing, but it is quite a drive. The Willard shines in the service department, at least when I 'm there. However, both are more "formal." If you want a slightly less formal/stuff place and are willing to drive, try VOLT in Frederick. The 21-course tasting menu is amazing.
Did you just say 21-courses? I can't decide if that is :aportnoy: or :crazy:.

The most courses I've ever had was probably at Fifth Floor in SF. Didn't have the time to get a reservation at French Laundry (or the money, really).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Did you just say 21-courses? I can't decide if that is :aportnoy: or :crazy:.

The most courses I've ever had was probably at Fifth Floor in SF. Didn't have the time to get a reservation at French Laundry (or the money, really).
Yep, "Table 21" in the kitchen, which actually has 22 courses... they toss in a bonus course at the end. :icon_smile_big: They're small courses, so you're not stuffed silly; it's very much like the 20 courses at the Minibar -- lots of one/two-bite courses, a few more substantial courses.

Fifth Floor is great; the female chef/sommelier team make for a good pairing. Although, there was a large party of about 20 people next to me that were so annoying and loud that it took away from the meal.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yep, "Table 21" in the kitchen, which actually has 22 courses... they toss in a bonus course at the end. :icon_smile_big: They're small courses, so you're not stuffed silly; it's very much like the 20 courses at the Minibar -- lots of one/two-bite courses, a few more substantial courses.

Fifth Floor is great; the female chef/sommelier team make for a good pairing. Although, there was a large party of about 20 people next to me that were so annoying and loud that it took away from the meal.
Ah we went during a Tuesday or Wednesday night, fairly early, while on a business trip. It was quite empty, although it did start to pick up towards the end of our 3-hour dinner. The service was fantastic - each of us had our own server. They were almost like synchronized swimmers, all putting down the next course in clockwork unison.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Lepic has been consistently good each time I've been there.

From everything I've heard and read, the Inn at Little Washington is in a class almost by itself. It is one of the very best restaurants in the country.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ah we went during a Tuesday or Wednesday night, fairly early, while on a business trip. It was quite empty, although it did start to pick up towards the end of our 3-hour dinner. The service was fantastic - each of us had our own server. They were almost like synchronized swimmers, all putting down the next course in clockwork unison.
Actually, the restaurant when I was there was fairly empty as well, aside from myself and the large party, there were only 2 couples. However, it was also on the Thursday. The food and service were great nonetheless, but I think the large group sort of proves the point of how others in upscale restaurants, whether they be loud or dressed like slobs, can affect your own personal dinner.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Lepic has been consistently good each time I've been there.

From everything I've heard and read, the Inn at Little Washington is in a class almost by itself. It is one of the very best restaurants in the country.
And if you do the Inn, you must do the tasting menu to really get the best. I went there with a friend and did a la carte, and while we thought our meal was great, it was definitely not as enjoyable as the tasting menu which is decadent, which matches the gaudiness of the Dalmatian themed chef outfits and the moo-ing cheese cart shaped like a cow... and yes, you MUST ask for a cheese course if only to have them wheel that thing out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.