Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased one a few years ago at Neal & Palmer in the Piccadilly arcade. I thought it was for evening wear, and have worn it as such, but based on pictures and discussion on Andy's I'm beginning to think I am wrong.

It is double breasted w 6 buttons like those peaked lapel morning vests, but has a shawl (rounded) collar/lapel. The shawl lapel made me think its for evening and as its an interesting gold color/pattern it is quite stunning w black evening suit. Could this be intended only for morning wear, only for evening wear, or possibly both?

Anybody have any ideas, its the only such vest I have ever seen, and was the only one in this cut/style in N&P that day, and this style, DB/shawl, isnt in Favourbrooks pattern book at all.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers,

·
Registered
302 Posts
Off the top of my head, it sounds like an older style waistcoat for evening wear, but there are many more people on this site, like Sator, who I consider experts that would best be able to answer your question.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Morning wear waistcoats are:

1. Found in a variety of colours other than white (or black for dinner wear)
2. Cut to close much higher than the low cut evening forms
3. Are made of wool or linen, although fancy coloured silks are popular in the UK for festive occasions

Both day and evening waistcoats may have shawl collars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.