Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chan is getting fashionable in its old age. And whether that's good or bad is in part an issue of perspective. But they still do nice work, even if I wish the button stance was a little less fashionable.

Two things that caught my eye include this riff on what was once known as a stroller or a Stresemenn, and was also described by some as semi-formal day wear. And while the pieces here are different, or wrong, depending upon perspective, the overall effect is quite similar, and I like it!

This tasty sports jacket is good to go with only a couple of tweaks. I particularly like its soft shoulders!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Both are beautiful jackets. Not sure about the herringbone. I tried to buy a vest in that same style once with the buttoned pockets. The wife said "No. You'll look like you are trying to be the lord of the manor." I still like it, but when SWMBO is agin' it, well, that pretty much ends all further conversation.

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,097 Posts
But . . . but I want to look like the lord of the manor! For that matter, I want a manor to lord over. The fiancé has suggested that if we moved to Ireland she'd go along with it. I dunno . . .

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both are beautiful jackets. Not sure about the herringbone. I tried to buy a vest in that same style once with the buttoned pockets. The wife said "No. You'll look like you are trying to be the lord of the manor." I still like it, but when SWMBO is agin' it, well, that pretty much ends all further conversation.
She doesn't want you defacing her property! :laughing:

But seriously, that's an issue most of us in relationships deal with to one degree or another. Fortunately, my wife and I generally enjoy each other's appearance but learned early on we have dissimilar sartorial preferences; she generally refrains from commenting, whereas I rarely say anything other than, "You look great!" ;)

But . . . but I want to look like the lord of the manor! For that matter, I want a manor to lord over. The fiancé has suggested that if we moved to Ireland she'd go along with it. I dunno . . .
You ARE the lord of the manor! :pirate:

·
Registered
662 Posts
The funny thing is, her father was a very well turned-out, conservative, Brooks Brothers style man--Banker--but acted as though he was the lord of the manor--smoked a pipe, a martini every night on weekdays before dining alone after the kids were in bed, dog at his feet, in front of the fireplace when it was cold, vacationed in London every year and usually stayed at The Dorchester--lots of bowing and scraping, which he thoroughly enjoyed. But I must say, one heck of a charming guy and lots of fun at parties.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Lord of the manor doesn't appeal to me, anymore. A smaller house would be better. Although, when thinking of designing a house it starts out small, but some how it gets larger and larger as I start to remember a room for this and a room for that and so it goes. And, when finished it has become a house of many many many rooms. Sadly, I have to live within my budget.

The gray coat would do.

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
SWMBO calls the sartorial shots? I guess that explains your avatar.:lol:

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
:eek:But...but, I am "lord of the manor," as are we all......at least until SWMBO wakes up! Otherwise, why in the H_ll do I get up at 0415 hours each AM? LOL. :amazing:

PS: I do so love that Tweed!

·
Moderator and Bon Vivant
28,097 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
This guy liked cats too, so I'm in good company

But he was a terrible dresser. Ms. Mary should have given him some direction.

"Actually, Ernest's attire was very restricted and, in a manner of speaking, constituted a uniform; the leather vests, the knitted tan skullcap, the GOTT MIT UNS leather belt which had been appropriated from a dead Nazi and was religiously worn with all raiment (it was too wide for the loops of any of his pants, but he wore it anyway outside the loops). He owned one decent jacket, made for him in Hong Kong, two pairs of pants, one pair of shoes and no underwear."

A.E. Hotchner, Papa Hemingway

Cheers,

BSR

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Chan is getting fashionable in its old age. And whether that's good or bad is in part an issue of perspective. But they still do nice work, even if I wish the button stance was a little less fashionable.
Do you find their button stance too high (ie trendy)? From the pics it looks pretty normal to me. Overall I'm really impressed by their work. Curious, maybe someone can comment, but do they have more than one location (apart from road shows, etc...). The comment on the link says Chengdu, so I'm wondering if the photos are from this particular shop, which IMO look nicer than anything I've ever seen posted from them (I've always associated them with HK).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.