Men's Clothing Forums banner

Visiting Hong Kong

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  GBR 
#1 ·
I will have the good fortune to travel to Hong Kong later this month. Most of my time (one week) will be spent sightseeing, eating, viewing art, and visiting museums, but I would also hope to do some shopping.

I am not interested in having a suit or shirts made, but would be interested in any other shopping recommendations. Are some of the better brands / labels available at a good price?

I am ambivalent about buying a fake Rolex. Although, I have to admit, the thought has occurred to me ...

Thanks, AHS

#2 ·
Shopping for westerners is concentrated on Nathan Road and the shopping arcades of the high end hotels (the Peninsula's is especially posh). Nathan Road is also where you go to be accosted by touts for copy watches and tailors.

Make sure you try the roast goose at Yung Kee. It's the best in the world.

#5 ·
I moved to HK a couple weeks back and have done my fair share of traipsing around the city checking out the various malls and boutiques - that said, myself not being a local, take my advice for what it's worth.

By district (or rather rail stations)

1. Causeway Bay
a) SOGO -- a high-end department store. Ground floor is filled with all the large Italian, English and French design houses: Gucci, Prada, Dunhill, LV, etc, though from memory their stock was more along the lines of accessories rather than couture. Higher floors are typical department store fare. Nice if you need a new Omega watch, some bedsheets and perhaps a new tennis racquet.

b) Times Square shopping mall -- fairly immense shopping mall. Something like six floors of stores and boutiques with a "Food Forum" (three floors of fine dining, I would recommend Wasabisabi for Japanese) perched above it all. From memory: Zara, Lacoste, Fred Perry, Birkenstock, plenty of local HK brands as well. Also houses Lane Crawford, a more fashion-forward department store stocking couture as different from Sogo which is somewhat stodgier and more about homewares and accessories.

c) Kingston St surrounds -- block of streets with some nice stores, i would suggest i.t. and I.T. (yes, they're different stores). i.t. is more youth-inclined: Fred Perry, Carhartt (Euro), Recon, Swagger, etc. I.T. stocks higher-end designers: Raf Simons, Martin Margiela, D&G, etc.

2. Tsim Sha Tsui
a) Silvercord Centre - mishmash of boutiques and other youth-inclined stores. Does contain an APC store though.

b) Harbour Centre / Terminal -- huge shopping mall. Every possible designer or house, you name them - they're here. Diesel, Dita, Mont Blanc, Massimo Dotti, Zara (again),

c) Miramar Shopping Centre -- has a Uniqlo... and that's about it.

3. Admiralty
a) Pacific Place -- another large shopping mall. Another Lane Crawford, Seibu (Japanese dept store), Lanvin, LV, Ferragamo, Hermes, etc. There is a food hall in the basement which stocks fresh food and produce.

4. Mong Kok
a) Langham Hotel shopping centre -- another mall with an extensive foodcourt and quite possibly the longest escalator ever. The only store that's really leaping out from memory is a H&M and another Seibu

b) Mong Kok surrounds (Fa Yuen St) -- if you want to buy sneakers or a laptop / camera / mobile phone / pda this is the area to do it. There is a dedicated complex comprising 3-4 floors just selling computer equipment and phones, the name eludes me however a waiter in a restaurant or 7-Eleven should be able to point you in the right direction.

Apologies for the rambling and possibly incoherent post.

#7 ·
I would give Sam a very wide berth. Caters for and fleeces tourists. Go to Chan/Yao or Yu.
I think this is an unfair generalization regarding Sam's.

I purchased four shirts there in February 2007, and I am perfectly happy with them.

They certainly cater to tourists, but I was in no way fleeced. The storefront was busy, and the other customers seemed generally happy with their purchases.

Perhaps you can provide specific details regarding your experience at Sam's.

#10 ·
I think this is an unfair generalization regarding Sam's.

I purchased four shirts there in February 2007, and I am perfectly happy with them.

They certainly cater to tourists, but I was in no way fleeced. The storefront was busy, and the other customers seemed generally happy with their purchases.

Perhaps you can provide specific details regarding your experience at Sam's.
Shirts maybe - suits never.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.