Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Honored Professor | Moderator, All Forums
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woman Jailed for 'Killing' Virtual Spouse
By MARI YAMAGUCHI, AP

(Oct. 23) - A 43-year-old player in a virtual game world became so angry about her sudden divorce from her online husband that she logged on with his password and killed his digital persona, police said Thursday. The woman, who has been jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his ID and password to log onto the popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in May, a police official in the northern city of Sapporo said.

Beware the dangers of cyberspace!

·
Registered
507 Posts
There was precedent set in the UK this week where two teenagers were convicted of theft of virtual property. They beat up a kid and forced him to give them stuff in an online game. The theft charges were add-ons, but precedent it is.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Virtual theft, while not as serious as actual theft, is still theft, in my opinion. Some people spend most of their free time on these online games, also some make real profit in these virtual worlds (selling virtual items for real money).

The biggest problem with these cases is who has jurisdiction. Certainly the data is going all around the world. Who's laws are we subjected to?

·
Registered
561 Posts
There was a very real, non - virtual murder in Japan a couple of years ago, the origin of the hit was related to a property dispute in Second Life.

About a year ago there was concern about real paedos signing up to access some areas to chat up virtual children and part of the concern related to whether The Law applied in a virtual enviroment.
I suggested that virtual policemen/undercover agents be created to virtually arrest them and put them in virtual prisons with the appropriate fellow cons : - )

The newspaper, in it's wisdom, failed to include my suggestion and also deleted all comments.

F.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'm going to become a virtual divorce attorney, making sure a tragedy like this doesn't happen again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.