Men's Clothing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know all the different types of collars, dating back to pre world war I? Am I going slightly mad or does my memory serve me right in thinking there was a collar that stood straight up and the necktie was worn on the outside. I am not talking about a wing collar such as are used on tuxes but instead a collar that stood completely erect without any such tab in the front. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know all the different types of collars, dating back to pre world war I? Am I going slightly mad or does my memory serve me right in thinking there was a collar that stood straight up and the necktie was worn on the outside. I am not talking about a wing collar such as are used on tuxes but instead a collar that stood completely erect without any such tab in the front. Thanks
I see this is quite an old posting, but hopefully you'll get the answer. The collar you're inquiring about is known by several different names, the "Imperial", "Poke" or "Lap-front". In 1899, the collar reached its maximum height of 3 inches (8 cm) ! In all cases, the collar was absolutely upright, and some styles had a "V" opening, while the "Lap front" completely overlapped in front. Of course, these were detachable collars, linen starched stiff as cardboard, or cheaper versions made of celluloid. I've got some examples posted in my photos section. Have a look.

Regards...Brad

·
Tech and Business Advice Guru
6,643 Posts

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.