Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,866 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I think a cardigan with a blazer is ....

a somewhat stodgy or old fashioned look. The blazer is the perfect coat to wear with an odd vest. Also, a sweater vest is appropriate. A birdseye cashmere sweater vest with tie is a dressy look. Note that I didn't say anything about rules. Every one can dress to their own taste as far as I'm concerned. It is just not to my taste to dress as Mr. Chips.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
It is a great look...I do it quite frequently, as temps drop, but, more so with sweater vests than with cardigans. However, as another poster mentioned, avoid same color combinations! :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the good input and suggestions. I even agree that in some situations a vest can look stodgy. I am early 40's, still relatively youthful in appearance (or so I think :icon_smile_wink:). Something about having a low front cardigan, with a nice material that I thought would look sharp. I appreciate the comments.
Tom

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Sure, either a sweater vest or a tailored one looks fine- not stodgy at all. Will posted a nice rig on his blog recently. DB sportcoat/odd vest. :aportnoy:

I've even been known to wear them under my DB SUITS! :eek:

and I'm no geezer.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I love the colour of that cardigan.

What shade of green would you call it?

I think it would look perfect with a navy blazer. Although it would have to be matched with a carefully chosen pair of trousers. I wouldn't wear it with a full navy suit.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love the colour of that cardigan.

What shade of green would you call it?

I realized that the link brings up the green sweater, but was probably leaning toward the ivory one. I like the green, but if my computer monitor is off just a bit, it could be either really nice or really odd. And I'd likely have trouble matching the pants. But, let me think about that now...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
No . . .

to the sweater. Yes to an armless grey sweater-vest.

The problem with wearing a full sweater is that, if the blazer (or any coat) fits you well, it will look overstuffed with the full sleeves on a sweater. Even more "stodgy" if you will is the extension of a sweater's sleeves beyond the ends of the blazer sleeves.

That is not to say a sweater under a sport coat, especially a rugged tweed, can't look well and even manly. The coat must be roomy enough to get both you and the sweater in there without the whole effect being that of a grilled bratwurst.

However, remember that a cardigan always smacks of the "old don."

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think the sweater under a jacket needs to be sleeveless or else one might look like the Michelian Man.

I prefer the cardigan type of sleeveless to the v-neck type because they usually show more shirt and tie.

I like regular cardigans with an OCBD and a tie, but they universally get a rap as an old man's look. As I am a Certified Senior Citizen I guess that is okay, but I was wearing them 30 or 40 years ago.

When I was young, high school and college athletes wore cotton cardigans in the school colors with an emblem. I have no idea if that practice continues or was done away with decades ago.

It is getting harder to find regular cardigans with buttons as many now have zippers which I don't care for. Lands End has Cashmere cardigans for $150 which seems to be a good value for the money. I don't know how well they wear as I have them in most colors so no particular one gets a lot of wear.

When Brooks has Cashmere cardigans they are $350. I expect they are better quality but I think they are thicker which I don't need. Some years Brooks has wool Cardigans in most of the same colors as their v-necks. I don't know the pricing on them because they were not offered the last year or two.

Cheers, Jim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.