Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
take a look at this tuxedo shirt made by the great but now defunct Sulka:

I had read somewhere that having the shirt button in the back was popular at some point and I wonder if anyone has anything to add about that strange practice. The shirt's studs arent in actual working button holes but its a beautiful collarless shirt. It was made in the mid-80's but to a very old specification. I post it here just for your viewing pleasure because if you haven't seen one like this you may not get a chance again.

And as an added bonus if you would like to buy a cardigan sweater from Sulka that was owned by sartorial hero Fred Astaire its right here:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WDF - congrats on your 1,001st post ! I get the four studs thing but the french cuffs? what would make it right for you? boiled single cuffs requiring double-faced chained links? I think thats what your getting at (let me know) but where would you get it? (3 studs single, thick, non-button cuff)

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Thanks!Single link cuffs are the only choice on stiff fronted detachable collared shirts.

WDF - congrats on your 1,001st post ! I get the four studs thing but the french cuffs? what would make it right for you? boiled single cuffs requiring double-faced chained links? I think thats what your getting at (let me know) but where would you get it? (3 studs single, thick, non-button cuff)

·
Registered
934 Posts
take a look at this tuxedo shirt made by the great but now defunct Sulka:

I had read somewhere that having the shirt button in the back was popular at some point and I wonder if anyone has anything to add about that strange practice. The shirt's studs arent in actual working button holes but its a beautiful collarless shirt. It was made in the mid-80's but to a very old specification. I post it here just for your viewing pleasure because if you haven't seen one like this you may not get a chance again.

And as an added bonus if you would like to buy a cardigan sweater from Sulka that was owned by sartorial hero Fred Astaire its right here:
Years ago formal shirts were made so that you put them on over your head. Usually there was one button in the back and a place to fasten the collar to the wing collar. Since you say it was made in the '80's it must have been made for a person who was use to that style. Or maybe it was made for some stage or movie production. Double cuffs and four studs were not the style for that type of shirt. My father wore the shirt that you pulled over your head I never did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.