Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am new to Wilmington (and sear sucker) and it's coming up on Azalea Festival season, which means lots of derby outfits and big hats. I need a pair of shoes to go with my navy sear sucker. This has been a common topic on the boards, but here is the catch: I want them to go with other outfits later in the year, like dark wash jeans (for a night out) or my dark brown wool suit (for work). I don't want the match to be forced or out of place with these other outfits. While I love the white bucks, they can be pretty limited. I had my eye on AE McTavish in tan or natural, but they are a little out of my price range right now. Any ideas on some less expensive options?

Other items will be a madras or polka dotted tie/bowtie, with a nautical flag belt (i.e. - ) and maybe a white or matching pocket square.

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I wear Brown loafers with seersucker routinely. My blue-collar upbringing kinda makes white bucks feel like putting on airs.

Dirty Bucks could be an option. I think you are going to have difficulties finding a shoe that will work with seersucker, jeans, and a brown wool suit equally well. I think 2 out of three wouldn't be too bad though. Some will suggest black shoes for all of the above, and to each his own is all I will say on that.

A good question is what kind of shoes do you currently have?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Gentlemen

A brown or Tan loafer.Cordovan.
A boat shoe is nice as well
Khaki dress up with aldens, boat shoes.

Jeans I am a different animal. I am a late 1960 hippie.
Jeans are made for sandals, birkenstocks or flip flops. Or loafers.

BTW check out Oak street shoes and Rancourt nice shoes for that look.

Nice day

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If your criterion really is best able to wear with all three of:
- seersucker
- jeans
- brown suit (as worn to work)

I think you're going approximately the right direction, at least in terms of style, with the AE McTavish. In color, I'd be more inclined to go with a more medium-to-dark brown rather than tan (which doesn't seem to be an option on the AE website, but I'm picturing it in my mind) or that "natural."

Whatever you wear is going to be somewhat "off" in one of those situations. White bucks, for example, aren't really right with jeans and - with a brown suit - are downright silly, particularly at a job (with the possible of carnival barker). Dirty bucks are closer, but still way off with the brown suit.

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
36,774 Posts
Check with the AE ShoeBank, Port Washington, WI, to see if they have seconds in the designs in which you are interested. In addition to the McTavish you might also consider the Carlsbad penny loafer in walnut calf, with either the woven walnut calf or the Ivory colored linen vamps. Good luck in your hunt!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cordovan colored bluchers will work nicely with all of those outfits and will be fine at work too. I used to have a pair of brown dress shoes that I wore with seersucker suits till the shoes wore out. Then I took the plunge and tried my Alden cordovan saddle shoes with seersucker and I think they look fine.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am always happy to see the year's first seersucker discussions. Hopefully, it will help Spring make its way here asap.

The McTavish seems like a great shoe for the suit. You can't go wrong with AE.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Seersucker time draws nigh! Azalea festival kicks it off. There used to be a seersucker Thursday in the US Congress, and celebrated on this forum with great pictures, but alas our congressional folk all wearing armor now instead. Seems it was the second or third Thursday of June. Maybe it should be revived ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
How about dark brown suede derby shoes? I think they would look fantastic with navy seersucker and jeans. They may be too informal with business suits for some people, but your suit is brown so I think they would be fine.

cheers!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
How about dark brown suede derby shoes? I think they would look fantastic with navy seersucker and jeans. They may be too informal with business suits for some people, but your suit is brown so I think they would be fine.

cheers!
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Something like this Florsheim Haviland can be had for around $150. Not the greatest shoe in the world, but it will tide you over until you have the budget for AE.

Also, if you're inclined to tassels, you could do something like this:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.