41 - 60 of 111 Posts

· Registered
754 Posts
Reasons not to:
- the function is not in your home
- specified black tie for guests
- very formal setting
- when else will you wear it?
- it looks like you'll be spending plenty on the evening without additional clothing...
I'm sorry, you forgot the most obvious reason not to: looking like a horse's a**.

My first principle: you should wear whatever you want to wear. Absolutely. But since you're asking for opinions, in my perspective a 29-year-old wearing a smoking jacket is the height of pretentiousness. Or is pomposity the word I'm groping for? Jeeves would know.

While we're at it, I'm sure the members can provide you with suggestions on where to get a monocle. A cigarette holder is also in order.

· Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm sorry, you forgot the most obvious reason not to: looking like a horse's a**.

My first principle: you should wear whatever you want to wear. Absolutely. But since you're asking for opinions, in my perspective a 29-year-old wearing a smoking jacket is the height of pretentiousness. Or is pomposity the word I'm groping for? Jeeves would know.

While we're at it, I'm sure the members can provide you with suggestions on where to get a monocle. A cigarette holder is also in order.
You forget that the young man intends to host a formal dinner to honor himself. He is clearly well beyond concerns of both pretentiousness and pomposity.

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
No worries, Sartre, I still have a monocle and cigarette holder that were bestowed on me a year and a half ago in the "Mad For Ascots" thread! :icon_smile_wink:

--Chase

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
After searching, it turns out Pakeman has precisely what I am looking for:

I, of course, will have one made up in burgundy.

BTW, how many of you gentlemen knew that the French for 'Dinner Jacket' is 'Le Smoking'? :icon_smile:

And, if I may add, this is my 500th post and I am now a Senior Member here.

Thank you, gentlemen, for all your noble words. Godspeed!

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Registered
380 Posts

BTW, how many of you gentlemen knew that the French for 'Dinner Jacket' is 'Le Smoking'? :icon_smile:

Kind Regards,

Chase
I have to ask: is this a joke? In every Candid Camera episode, there was that moment where the victim just couldn't take anymore and the idea that it was a put-on became more likely than it being real. It's like Thurston Howell the III has sprung to life in the form of a 20-something Texan. Too much, too much.

From the absurdly costume-like topic to the affected language of Chase's message, I just can't imagine anyone like this exists outside of a 1920s novel. For chrissakes, I actually went to a New England prep school and a trad college (in the Ivy League) and never came across anyone that was so spot-on with the stereotypes.

Forget it, don't tell me if it's a joke. I sorta hope it's not.

· Registered
4,773 Posts

Kind Regards,

Chase
It looks good to me. And burgundy sounds great.

You seem to be within the Roetzel-thumping conventional wisdom (which you don't really need to be, anyway...)

Have a good time!

· Registered
225 Posts
I just can't imagine anyone like... Chase Hamilton

As the song goes, you need to "Use Your Imagination".

A week or so into Freshman Year, after I neurotically convinced myself that all the Really Smart, Truly Witty, Fun, Swellegant People must actually be somewhere else -- Harvard, maybe? -- I walked into an meeting and saw a fellow seated on one of the leather sofas dressed in a burgundy velvet smoking jacket. So-and-so the third's Grandson. Too few and far between for my taste. One really should balance the grim pre-professionalism with a few characters that F. Scott might recognize.

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Use Your Imagination

Use your imagination
Just take this motto for your theme.
And soon every night
Will be crowded with delight
And every day will be a dream.

Use your imagination
You'll see such wonders if you do.
Around you there lies
Pure enchantment in disguise
And endless joys you never knew.

Behind every cloud
There's a so-lovely star.
Behind every star,
There's a lovelier one by far.

So use your imagination
And soon you will dance
On the road to sweet romance
And every day will be a perfect dream.

Music and Lyrics: Cole Porter

All rights reserved.

· Registered
147 Posts
While I feel I have the right attitude (no reticence) to wear one, I don't think I would at this particular function. But I have no problems with such a host wearing it. Frankly, I don't think age has as much to do with being able to wear certain styles or articles as some people have mentioned. Attitude is far more important. I like the attention to detail Chase has put into this and think it will turn out wonderfully. In fact, white tie wouldn't seem out of place for this function either - carefully selected very elegant private dining room, planned menu in consultation with the chef, string quintet, select group of close friends, etc. Wear the jacket. Do post some pictures of the evening.

pbc

· Registered
2,865 Posts
Use your imagination
And soon every night
Will be crowded with delight
My first thought was Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. For the song title, not his purple velvet suit...

With all the other horrid things that people your age can be involved in, I'm grateful that you've chosen something that is uplifting to those around you.

· Registered
581 Posts
I'm so darn happy nowadays to see people "dressing up" in something besides a hideous spread collar shirt worn without tie and $300 jeans that I don't care how pretentious people might think this is.

Good for you Chase for finding a harmless way to celebrate your birthday that you will enjoy. I hope you and your lucky friends have a great time, and many more celebrations to follow.

· Registered
92 Posts

Kind Regards,

Chase
Chase--

That jacket is pure sartorial splendor! Perfect...or as another poster noted, "swellegant."

I would go for it wholeheartedly. The Cole Porter reference is completely apropos.

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
One additional thought:

Has anybody here have any experience with Pakeman Catto and Carter?

It would of course, not to be in my best interests to engage a clothier who delivers quality or service substandard to my requirements.

Please endeavor to speak freely, gentlemen, any and all responses will be held in strictist confidence.

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Registered
380 Posts
One additional thought:

Has anybody here have any experience with Pakeman Catto and Carter?

It would of course, not to be in my best interests to engage a clothier who delivers quality or service substandard to my requirements.

Please endeavor to speak freely, gentlemen, any and all responses will be held in strictist confidence.

Kind Regards,

Chase
Old chum,

On my grand tour of the continent during autumn last, I chanced into the abode of Pakeman, et al. Their sartorial quality was only matched by their collective urbane wit. To any who would deny their offerings are amongst the tip-tops of Saville Row, I would offer my most severe off hissing and tut-tutting.

I leave you with the words of Laurence Sterne from Tristram Shandy:

Persons of quality and fortune distinguish themselves by the fineness of their clothes

Never a truer phrase has been spake, do you concur?

Until we meet again, old boy, I'll be singing the Whiffenpoof song in your absence.

Toodles.

· Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Porter Sq! You truly are a man among men, to assist me in this sartorial endeavor.

If you speak highly of the quality of Peakman, that I shall put this matter to rest with all due haste. You are truly a beacon a light in a sea of darkness, sir!

That maxim as expressed by Mr. Shandy is one I can only hope to aspire to. However, A Man's Reach Must Exceed His Grasp, or What's a Heaven For?

I shall delight in you singing anything in my absence, dear friend. I do admit that I have made no secret of my great fondness for American Musical Theatre on these electronic assemblies.

Kind Regards,

Chase

· Registered
1,051 Posts
Our Man Chase

I have to ask: is this a joke? In every Candid Camera episode, there was that moment where the victim just couldn't take anymore and the idea that it was a put-on became more likely than it being real. It's like Thurston Howell the III has sprung to life in the form of a 20-something Texan. Too much, too much.

From the absurdly costume-like topic to the affected language of Chase's message, I just can't imagine anyone like this exists outside of a 1920s novel. For chrissakes, I actually went to a New England prep school and a trad college (in the Ivy League) and never came across anyone that was so spot-on with the stereotypes.

Forget it, don't tell me if it's a joke. I sorta hope it's not.
A bit of put-on is not such a bad thing, be it on behalf of the guests or us posters. I sense a playful spirit in the entire planning and execution-to-be of this event. I admit that I haven't heard much of gatherings like this since those of the preppy fraternities at Penn in the 70s. (We blue-collar jocks could only peer in through the windows, with thorough lack of understanding.) The smoking jacket is symbolic of this spirit, and I think the guests will get a hoot out of it. As for stereotypes, we is what we is. Rock on! Bill

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Old chum,

On my grand tour of the continent during autumn last, I chanced into the abode of Pakeman, et al. Their sartorial quality was only matched by their collective urbane wit. To any who would deny their offerings are amongst the tip-tops of Saville Row, I would offer my most severe off hissing and tut-tutting.

I leave you with the words of Laurence Sterne from Tristram Shandy:

Persons of quality and fortune distinguish themselves by the fineness of their clothes

Never a truer phrase has been spake, do you concur?

Until we meet again, old boy, I'll be singing the Whiffenpoof song in your absence.

Toodles.
Oh dear, it is true then, you colonials in New England really do wish you were still British with your use of such flowery language. :icon_smile_wink: However old boy, you really do need to update your English a tad. What!:icon_smile_wink:

41 - 60 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.