Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gentlemen,

I thought this topic would have a better response in the Trad Forum, so here I am. Thanks for your help in advance.

I am hosting a black-tie, formal dinner for my 29th birthday at a private room at the Ritz-Carlton in Dallas.

Full details on the menu and venue can be found here:

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/showthread.php?t=87098

As the host of such a function, is it acceptable to wear a velvet smoking jacket? If I wear such a jacket, would the rest of my formal furnishings and accessories remain unchanged?

And of course, if this is suitable, what suggestions do you have for me acquiring a velvet smoking jacket?

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi Chase, I'm not going to answer your question, because I don't know. :icon_smile:

But, I am curious as to why you would consider the velvet jacket over a more typical dinner jacket?

I hope you have a good time at the celebration.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Qualifying what I said by PM....

If it's a true smoking jacket, with a belt, then it's best left for after dinner. Part of the point is that it's a change of clothes for after-dinner activities. Like smoking. And talking your drunkest friend into riding a luggage cart through the lobby.

If it's a jacket that looks like it's part of a tuxedo, except that it's velvet (I have one like this in a subdued navy paisley with grosgrain lapels), you could probably get away with it, but would there be political ramifications for asking your guests to wear tuxedos and then straying from it yourself?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But, I am curious as to why you would consider the velvet jacket over a more typical dinner jacket?
Well, because I believe I read somewhere that when hosting a formal dining event, it is acceptable to wear a velvet smoking jacket in place of a dinner jacket.

Of course, this custom could have died out in 1880 for all I know... :icon_smile_wink:

--Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And talking your drunkest friend into riding a luggage cart through the lobby.
Umm, Mike, what kind of party do you think this is? It's a formal dinner, not a drunken brawl at a fraternity. ;)

--Chase

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Umm, Mike, what kind of party do you think this is? It's a formal dinner, not a drunken brawl at a fraternity. ;)

--Chase
At a formal dinner hosted by the son of a famous Hudson River School artist, the host himself did this. Out on the street. Naked.

Incidentally, here's an interesting article on smoking jackets from Cigar Aficionado:

"They are at-home wear, of course," agrees Joseph Barrato, chief executive officer of Brioni USA, "but I think they should more properly be presented as an alternative type of formalwear. That way, a man can be made more aware of the possibilities of the garment, that it's really a jacket meant for entertaining."

I still stand by my original opinion, that it's meant for the slightly more casual activites after dinner. :icon_smile:​

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well, because I believe I read somewhere that when hosting a formal dining event, it is acceptable to wear a velvet smoking jacket in place of a dinner jacket.

Of course, this custom could have died out in 1880 for all I know... :icon_smile_wink:

--Chase
This is why I asked. I have heard it is "acceptable" too, but I am still unsure as to why you (or I) might do it. My "feeeling" on the subject is that were you hosting at your residence, it would be much more "understandable". Unless you have a compelling reason to take this "risk", I would not. (And if you do, please report back! Actually report back no matter what.)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes

Here;
Thanks, Literide! I am swooning over the Turnbull & Asser creation:

I'm just not sure what color to go with...

--Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At a formal dinner hosted by the son of a famous Hudson River School artist, the host himself did this. Out on the street. Naked.

Incidentally, here's an interesting article on smoking jackets from Cigar Aficionado:

"They are at-home wear, of course," agrees Joseph Barrato, chief executive officer of Brioni USA, "but I think they should more properly be presented as an alternative type of formalwear. That way, a man can be made more aware of the possibilities of the garment, that it's really a jacket meant for entertaining."

I still stand by my original opinion, that it's meant for the slightly more casual activites after dinner. :icon_smile:​

Mike, thanks for the article. Interesting read.

Regarding the notion of the host (me) of this dinner riding in a luggage cart in the street naked, I'll keep it in mind in case there's a lull in the evening and we need something to perk things up a bit. :icon_smile: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is why I asked. I have heard it is "acceptable" too, but I am still unsure as to why you (or I) might do it. My "feeeling" on the subject is that were you hosting at your residence, it would be much more "understandable". Unless you have a compelling reason to take this "risk", I would not. (And if you do, please report back! Actually report back no matter what.)
stfu, I just think wearing a velvet smoking jacket is the epitome of elegance. And to wear it to host your own formal dinner? Elegance Supreme! :icon_smile:

I also think it's a classic way to set you apart from your guests, yet still be true to what is proper and correct at such an event.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speaking of which, will there be any singing?
Upon serving the birthday cake, there will be a call for birthday toasts.

However, there will probably be music--I am seriously considering hiring a small (five-piece) Orchestra to play.

If I need to expose myself on the street in a luggage cart, I'm sure you have something suitable in mind they can play as background music... :icon_smile_wink:

--Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My vote goes for the William Tell Overture. :icon_smile_wink:
Really? Since you're such a fan of musical theatre, I thought it might be
"Let Me Entertain You." :icon_smile_big:

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Velvet Smoking Jacket to Host Formal Dinner"

That's some special jacket! :icon_smile_big:
ROFLMAO, randomdude! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

--Chase

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I think I would only wear a smoking jacket at home though the fact that you have a private dining room lends merit.

This photo shows the sort of feel I think a smoking jacket engenders and I have wanted one ever since I first saw this photo. https://flic.kr/p/1742560019 Obviously minus the unfortunate chap on the left wearing jeans.
Not everyone in this group (shot at Balmoral I believe) has the wardrobe or knew to bring it. I like Rory Stewart in tartan trews with his SJ.
Brits seem to be big on not buttoning DB SJs, very louche. I would rather see them with BT accesories including bow tie, but they are in the country, where you wear a tie to shoot during the day but not always for dinner.

With an SJ you could substitute Albert slippers for pumps.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.