Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a RTW, SB, 3-B, dark-blue velvet jacket. The fit is impeccable; it is fully-canvassed and features much handwork; best of all, it was discounted by 80 percent.

I now cannot for the life of me think of how or when to wear it: I cannot bring myself to wear velvet during the day and I don't approve of wearing anything but the most casual jacket with jeans.

I take it, somehow (don't ask me why), that it should be worn with an open-neck shirt, but beyond this, I am all at sea.

I'm beginning to think that my dilemma contributed in no small measure to the discount!

Help!

·
Registered
356 Posts
I would wear some slightly heavier trousers, probably in shades of gray, with the jacket. The shirt can have some freedom, but if you are not going to wear a tie (which can be difficult to match with velvet), possibly look for something with some colors that look nice with your complexion. Velvet is probably not the dressiest, but it can be a lot of fun and great for going out to a club or for a dinner.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ditto on jeans

Just this Sunday, I complimented a fellow church-goer on his pairing of a velvet blazer with nice dark jeans. He wore the combo with a slim-fitting designer dress shirt (untucked) and Chelseas. Smart.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Night time fun. Leisure with flair.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not sure how dark blue your jacket is-midnight?In Scotland,many men will wear a black/midnight velvet jacket with tartan trousers if,like myself ,they do not look good in a kilt to occasions where black tie /highland evening dress is stipulated on the invitation.In the cases I have seen these occasions are when most of the guests are friends,or at least know each other.It comes in between casual and full formal black tie.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Not sure how dark blue your jacket is-midnight?In Scotland,many men will wear a black/midnight velvet jacket with tartan trousers if,like myself ,they do not look good in a kilt to occasions where black tie /highland evening dress is stipulated on the invitation.In the cases I have seen these occasions are when most of the guests are friends,or at least know each other.It comes in between casual and full formal black tie.
So, the rest of the outfit is regular black tie/evening semi-formal?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I recently went to a nice dinner at a trendier restaurant and wore my velvet blazer with dark wash "dressier" jeans, a nice crisp white shirt - open collar, and black loafers. Looked awesome. I threw a pocket hanky in there to give it some added flair. Looked great. I think velvet blazers look really good with dressier, darker jeans; for some reason, I just dont like the look with dress trousers

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your help. I am not a sartorial neophyte, but I have never worn a velvet jacket (other than a bottle-green velvet smoking jacket).

I very much like the idea of dress-down black tie (pairing the same with tartan pants).

I shall also swallow hard when the occasion presents itself and take myself out one (informal) evening wearing said jacket with a white shirt and dark jeans.

Thank you all once again.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm a big fan of that and wear same whenver I can. Usually with a velvet smoking jacket or dinner jacket but have also used a velvet sport jacket, as you indicated, when among friends. Which tartan trousers also dictates what color velvet jacket I wear.

I always wear a waistcoat (except with DB), a black bow tie, and pumps or Alberts so there is no doubt about the formality of the occasion. That said, its a rig best for occasions at ones club, home, or at a country house party.

I also look good in a kilt for which I have a blue velvet regulation doublet with shawl lapels in addition to black wool/peaked

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I'm a big fan of that and wear same whenver I can. Usually with a velvet smoking jacket or dinner jacket but have also used a velvet sport jacket, as you indicated, when among friends. Which tartan trousers also dictates what color velvet jacket I wear.

I always wear a waistcoat (except with DB), a black bow tie, and pumps or Alberts so there is no doubt about the formality of the occasion. That said, its a rig best for occasions at ones club, home, or at a country house party.

I also look good in a kilt for which I have a blue velvet regulation doublet with shawl lapels in addition to black wool/peaked
Is there a green felt or melton that is used for Scottish coats of one sort or another?

Velvet jackets are nice.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Is there a green felt or melton that is used for Scottish coats of one sort or another?

Velvet jackets are nice.
Not certain about green felt being used, but jackets made to complement bot kilts and trews can be made of most anything you want. Barathea, as well as velvet, comes in a range of colors that can be used to complement either the dominant or other colors in a tartan.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Not certain about green felt being used, but jackets made to complement bot kilts and trews can be made of most anything you want. Barathea, as well as velvet, comes in a range of colors that can be used to complement either the dominant or other colors in a tartan.
It seems to me in the mid sixties green felt was on some of the Scotts list around here for a jacket as part of their Scottish costume.

I always like looking at the Scottish costume, there is so much to see. Actually, I like most national costumes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.