Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone

What do you think of black velvet jackets? Do you think is proper as a casual jacket to wear with jeans? . I got one, but now I hace my doubts, i don´t know is this may be too much shine and thickness

Bes regards

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'm not intending to be snide but there has been sufficient info. that can be found through the 'search' function. There maybe a thread that you could resurrect with a specific question.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
In a word....NO! Unless you are under the age of 30. Otherwise its a bit of a silly look, IMHO.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Velvet jacket? Perhaps if you are Hugh Heffner, or otherwise inclined to enjoy a pipe while watching your girlfriends splash eachother in the hot tub.

Edit: I should add that since acquiring a briar pipe I have been checking ebay for velvet smoking jackets, just for fun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Velvet jacket? Perhaps if you are Hugh Heffner, or otherwise inclined to enjoy a pipe while watching your girlfriends splash eachother in the hot tub.

Edit: I should add that since acquiring a briar pipe I have been checking ebay for velvet smoking jackets, just for fun.
Hmm I think I'd enjoy that, and I don't even really like pipes.

Guess I need a velvet jacket...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Formal occasion - good option

Casual - I would say depends where you are going, in my opinion.

If you are planning to go a club and get completely drunk, then no. Going to a bar, meal out, party, etc good opinion.
Too be honest, I would avoid wearing it to a club, unless you are going for a civilised night out.

Paul Smith has some nice velvet blazers this A/W; although they probably have alimited range outside of the UK. Yoox might have something available online.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Listen to da man!

Some of the fossils here don't know what they're talking about. Wear one to a club and you'll have girls complimenting your jacket and rubbing it all night long. That's the kind of approval worth enjoying.

bimmerzimmer
That is core, bimmerzimmer! I mean the part about getting stroked, not the paleontological reference. Heaven forbid that I would seem to be in agreement with that cheeky >snicker< commentary.

I have a black velvet DJ with gros grain facing and a self-faced one with a barely perceptible white dashed stripe that can also be worn casual (which I have not done yet), and I get stroked all the time. As long as it doesn't spill my drink, I'm quite happy about that:devil:

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
That is core, bimmerzimmer! I mean the part about getting stroked, not the paleontological reference. Heaven forbid that I would seem to be in agreement with that cheeky >snicker< commentary.

I have a black velvet DJ with gros grain facing and a self-faced one with a barely perceptible white dashed stripe that can also be worn casual (which I have not done yet), and I get stroked all the time. As long as it doesn't spill my drink, I'm quite happy about that:devil:
I have one that's a navy paisley with a grosgrain facing - I'm concerned about wearing it to bars because in Georgia they still allow smoking and the thing would have to be sent to the cleaners every time I wore it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I think it depends of the place and situation. I see it as something looking to be a little glamorous, so I guess is good to go to some parties, clubs, functions and things like that. We´ll see

Best regards

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a rather dark blue, but not quite midnight, velvet one button jacket with silver buttons that I really enjoy wearing with some grey trousers and usually a white shirt. I tend to find that adding too much color to the shirt becomes overkill with the velvet. I will occasionally wear a red or blue tie with this as well, and quite like it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a dark brown one and love it.
So do I.A chocolate colour Arnold Brant from STP for less than $200.

I always recieve plenty of female attention when wearing it, I am considering getting a midnight blue one MTM as mentioned above, the silver buttons sound great.

Where I live wearing this jacket with a dress shirt and jeans always has people asking why i'm so dressed up..depressing!!

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
Some of the fossils here don't know what they're talking about. Wear one to a club and you'll have girls complimenting your jacket and rubbing it all night long. That's the kind of approval worth enjoying.

bimmerzimmer
Are you always this nasty, or did you work at it your whole life?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fwiw i was browsing a high end men's store today and a VERY attractive young woman could barely contain herself when she spotted a midnight blue velvet jacket on a mannequin , she loved it!! and everyone knew it!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I own a navy and a brown velvet jacket. I always get compliments whenever I wear them and women always want to stroke them. I wear them ballroom dancing (no smoking, no drinking allowed) when some touching is required anyway. They're real attention-getters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.