Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a friend who has a very nice bottle green velvet smoking jacket.

He wears it every once in a while when we have a dinner at a private club. The group is about twenty men, and we get together about three times a year. He only wears it when we meet at a club of which he is a member. When we meet at someone else's club, he wears a regular dinner jacket.

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I would wear one whenever I freaking could!

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I would wear one whenever I freaking could!
Wearing evening semi-formal when you do not have such an event scheduled can be fun. Folks think you must be some kind of big wheel on their way to some posh social function. I understand it usually gets you a better table in a restaurant -- that is one way to avoid being seated next to the kitchen!

In any event, that is the current conventional wisdom: parties at your home where you are the host, country balls where you know it is is OK with the hostess (because she has told you so), and to your English-style gentlemen's club.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I have a friend who has a very nice bottle green velvet smoking jacket.

He wears it every once in a while when we have a dinner at a private club. The group is about twenty men, and we get together about three times a year. He only wears it when we meet at a club of which he is a member. When we meet at someone else's club, he wears a regular dinner jacket.
A question, if you do not mind: are the velvet smoking jacket and the velvet DJ the same thing?

·
Banned
16,023 Posts
I'm assuming that's what he meant, though a friend of mine owns a dinner jacket with VELVET-faced lapels. Pretty decadent.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A question, if you do not mind: are the velvet smoking jacket and the velvet DJ the same thing?
No. A smoking jacket has frogging and/or quilting and has a shawl lapel.
A velvet DJ is far simpler and is cut like a regular DJ. I prefer them without faced lapels as it makes them more versatile. I also prefer polished horn to covered buttons.
They can be worn instead of a smoking jacket and are great for Xmas parties or festive evening functions (esp. with the dreaded "black tie optional" request!). They look great with flannels or even dark jeans. In fact, you will find you wear them more than you thought.
However, they are not appropriate for proper black tie anymore than a smoking jacket is.

W_B

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If worn with flannels or dark jeans, what else are you wearing? Formal shirt? bow tie? the whole nine yards? I bought one of the damn things from JAB for under 50 bucks last year and I'm scared to put it on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I snatched up one of those, too! Haven't take it to the tailor yet but it looks great hanging in my closet. Can't wait to wear it this fall/winter.

If worn with flannels or dark jeans, what else are you wearing? Formal shirt? bow tie? the whole nine yards? I bought one of the damn things from JAB for under 50 bucks last year and I'm scared to put it on.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have a black velvet Yves Saint Laurent jacket that I love and wear whenever I can. I don't know if it would qualify as a dinner jacket, per se, however. Mine is cut 2B SB SV, very high armholes, patch pockets on the skirt, regular breast pocket. The quarters/"skirt" are rather long and there is a regular notch lapel with high gorge. The buttons are dark MOP.

I exercise latitude in wearing it. I wear it to Christmas parties with flannels or jeans, out on the town with dark jeans and Chelseas, and even to my company holiday party with my tux. I'm guessing it isn't correct to wear it in this manner, but most people at these event dress so poorly that I get away with it easily and look dapper all the while. The jacket always gets comments - it's a favorite.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Wearing a velvet jacket ....

in your home, with or without guests, or in your private club are the only two places where it is acceptable. Wearing it otherwise, no matter what people say who are not knowledgable, or getting 'away with it' because others think it's ok, is unacceptable dress. This is the type of behavior akin to wearing a business suit to a black tie affair.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I agree with dfloyd, but I suppose a case could also be made that, given the original purpose of a smoking jacket, you could wear one for a black tie gathering with your friends where you knew you'd be smoking a cigar or a pipe. Obviously, the event would need to be in a fairly private location, like a friend's house or a friend's club, and not a restaurant or bar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wear that velet DJ in pride...

... to a 1970s disco party:

Hey Sister, Go Sister, Soul Sister, Go Sister
He met Marmalade down in Old New Orleans
Struttin' her stuff on the street
She said 'Hello,
hey Joe, you wanna give it a go?
'Mmm Hmmm Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya Da Da
Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya
Here
Mocca chocolata Ya Ya
Creole Lady Marmalade
Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?
Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?
Stayed in her pool while
watch he crashing up
That boy drank all that night don't know why
Oh the last sight she went
he started to freak
Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya Da Da
Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya Here
Mocca chocalata Ya Ya
Creole Lady Marmalade
Heh, Heh, Hehhhh
Seeing her skin feeling silky smooth
Colour of cafe au lait
Made the savage beast inside
Roaring till it cried More, More, More
Now he's at home doing 9 to 5
Living his brave life of lies
But when he turns off to sleep
All memories keep More, More, More
Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya Da Da Da
Gitchi Gitchi Ya Ya here
Mocca chocolata Ya Ya
Creole Lady Marmalade
Voulez-vous couchez avec moi ce soir?
Creole Lady Marmalade

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.