Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very dumb question:What can I do with my black dress socks?I have no idea how I came to possess so many,as I have no black suits or slacks.They're nice socks (most are 80-90% cotton),but I can't think of a single use for them.The way I see it,I only have two options: 1)Bin them (something I don't want to do as they were rather expensive as I recall), or 2)Break down and get a pair of black slacks.Neither one is particularly favorable.Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
wear them any time you wear black shoes.
use as a loose change bag.
in that way, use for self defense also.
they are a great shoe polish buffer.
if your really in a bind,send them to me i will dispose of them.
no charge for the service.

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wear them any time you wear black shoes.
use as a loose change bag.
in that way, use for self defense also.
they are a great shoe polish buffer.
if your really in a bind,send them to me i will dispose of them.
no charge for the service.
Ha ha.:icon_smile_big:While I thank you for you most generous offer of disposal,I think I'll use them as shoe polish buffers.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Real classy post Chase.
mrkleen,

I apologize if my post has offended you, and indeed, for all my shortcomings.

Kind Regards,

Chase

·
Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
37,088 Posts
My recommendation is to loosen up and wear the black socks. Black or navy socks were all that I wore for many, many years (it made getting dressed in the early AM, a whole lot easier!)...and never received a complaint on my chosen attire. These days, black and navy account for at least 80% of the socks in my sock drawer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
back when I was in the army, during winter training, they would not allow us to wear any warm clothes. All we were allowed to wear was the brown t-shirt, and the BDU (battle dress uniform) top. The instructors would come around and check if people were wearing extra layers of clothing and give out demerits.

I used to cut open the toe-end of the socks, and wear them on my arm as arm warmers. they would cover up from mid-forearm to upper biceps and keep my arms warm, and were virtually undetectable. Very easy to just take them off in a jiffy as well.

I'm babbling here, but you asked the question.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Now you see here in Europe we don't have this problem because black, grey and navy socks are the most popular and are worn with everything and with all colours.

On the other hand very few people wear white or other light coloured socks with anything other than sports gear

·
Aficianado
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
back when I was in the army, during winter training, they would not allow us to wear any warm clothes. All we were allowed to wear was the brown t-shirt, and the BDU (battle dress uniform) top. The instructors would come around and check if people were wearing extra layers of clothing and give out demerits.

I used to cut open the toe-end of the socks, and wear them on my arm as arm warmers. they would cover up from mid-forearm to upper biceps and keep my arms warm, and were virtually undetectable. Very easy to just take them off in a jiffy as well.

I'm babbling here, but you asked the question.
The Bundesheer must be a tough army.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Now you see here in Europe we don't have this problem because black, grey and navy socks are the most popular and are worn with everything and with all colours.
There are a few of us maverick Yanks who follow that also. I'll often wear black socks with black shoes regardless of the color of the pants. The hard and fast rule that socks the same color as slacks "continue the line from leg to ankle" is a little too precious.

Not many people look at my ankles. And if they are that interested in my ankles, they have bigger problems than my problem of not matching my socks to my slacks.

I'd wear olive slacks, black shoes and black socks. Would I wear olive slacks, black shoes and blue socks? No, that's a little too off, even for me.

On the other hand very few people wear white or other light coloured socks with anything other than sports gear
Now that's a good rule. White socks, other than sports socks, are geeky and nerdy. :icon_smile_big:

·
Registered
356 Posts
At least keep one or two pairs of nice place socks for formal, unless you have some silk for those occasions. Another suggestion is to wear them under boots. I'm wearing some very comfortable black socks under my caramel colored boots today. The socks stop where the boot socks, no one can see the difference and it's a use for the socks, saving my brown shade socks for regular shoes. I might be cheating a bit on that one, but my feet feel happy and no one is the wiser, so why not.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
The hard and fast rule that socks the same color as slacks "continue the line from leg to ankle" is a little too precious.
That rule is purely an American construct Frank, and more than precious it's outright ridiculous! The one thing most well-dressed Brits and other Europeans avoid is just that, wearing socks the same colour as their trousers and shoes, with one exception: formal evening wear.
That such a rule even exists is beyond ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. I would never ever wear light grey socks with my light grey suit, that would look bloody hideous and make me look like some kind of schoolboy dressed by his mother for God's sake! And I would never wear brown socks with brown shoes. That would make me look like some off duty WWII squaddie!

I wear black socks with grey suits. Red socks with black slacks and jeans. purple socks with green cords and so on.

The short white socks with shorts (Bermudas,sports, etc) phenomena doesn't really exist in Europe either. People wear whatever colour socks they want when training or running or playing sports.

And white socks are NEVER worn with trousers.

I own no normal length white socks. I do however own 3 pairs of those "hidden in shoe white socks" for when I'm running or otherwise wearing trainers in the summer, in other words I never want to be seen in white socks.

Many gentlemen in the UK, Ireland France, Italy,Spain,Sweden, myself included, are known for wearing red,green, purple and pale blue socks with casual and semi-casual wear, for example, brown, rust and green cords, jeans or black slacks.

Socks, like watches and ties are a gentleman's remaining reserves for expression and that expression can be and I'd even say should be as eccentric as possible!

Today I am wearing red socks with bottle green thin ribbed cords and dark brown brogues.

To all the others here who doubt the veracity of what I say about this crazy American sock rule, have a look around at the royal houses of Europe and if you see a single pair of white socks with long trousers on anyone I want to know about it.

Conversely, if the majority of the socks you see in pictures worn by gentlmen in Europe in casual black or brown trousers are black or brown then they can't be Europeans they must be Americans on tour! ;)

Apart from black tie and light grey suits I wear black socks with blue jeans, cords.

This all might sound like I'm contradicting myself, well, it's suppsoed to, because having some rule about sock colour is just nonsense, and the one thing I never ever think about in the mornings is the colour of my socks. I just put on the first pair I grab from the drawer be they red,green,blue,black or purple!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.