Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering used shoes on ebay. I am unable/unwilling to afford a new pair of aldens but a used pair may be within my grasp.

Am I better getting a good pair of used Aldens or paying sale price for new AEs?

What say you?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have been considering used shoes on ebay. I am unable/unwilling to afford a new pair of aldens but a used pair may be within my grasp.

Am I better getting a good pair of used Aldens or paying sale price for new AEs?

What say you?
A used pair of shoes may have taken on a 'set' of their previous owners feet shape and even though your size they may never be really comfortable for you to wear.
Personally I would not do it if I could not try them on first to find how they fit.

Mychael

·
Registered
403 Posts
I suppose if you buy used shoes and then get them recrafted to the extent that the old cork layer is removed and a new one inserted, then you have in effect a new pair of shoes as long as the uppers are not creased. But this is unlikely and the creases are unique to the previous shoes. Personally, I would not wear used shoes unless it was a war-time situation and I had no others.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
A used pair of shoes may have taken on a 'set' of their previous owners feet shape and even though your size they may never be really comfortable for you to wear.
Personally I would not do it if I could not try them on first to find how they fit.

Mychael
I agree - both the shape of the previous owner's feet and the way he walks can alter the shape. If I had a choice between used Alden's and new AE's, I would pick the new AE's.

Mychael - I have not seen you for awhile. Did you buy that dinner suit you were thinking of?

Cheers, Jim.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I ordered a pair of Aldens on the bay and sent them in for recrafting. They fit like a dream before I sent them in, and I am waiting to see if the recrafted shoes are as comfortable.

The ebay price was only $35, and with the recraft fee of $135, I should have a decent pair for well under $200.

They should be arriving any day.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
My wardrobe comprises at least 80% used shoes. I've gotten them locally from thrift stores and from the internet. Most of the time they work out just fine for me, though I've had some busts that I had to resell or give away. And I have never noticed any foot, leg, or back problems stemming from wearing someone else's shoes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I suppose "how used" should be a consideration. I have a two pairs of pre-owned shoes that had probably only been worn 2-3 times. Barely a crease and virtually no scuffing on the sole. So in that case I would think you could get a good deal on someone elses change of mind or fit issue.

Otherwise factory seconds or AE Shoe Bank or AE eBay shop are good sources. Bennies Shoes seems to have decent prices on Allen Edmonds, as does "ugotdeal2000" on ebay, the latter always has new Park Avenues on for $260 plus shipping.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I guess the real question is, How much do you have to spend? If you are talking under $200 or closer to $125 then you may be better with a outlet shoe from AE. Or a new Ebay AE. I personally would never buy a used shoe unless it was not noticebly used, such as one that had minimal wear on the sole. I really mean minimal! Unless you need the shoes right now, why not try and save a little and maybe buy a pair on sale at BB. they are having a sale now. If you have 100 posts you can get 15%off on some of the Aldens at BB. Or wait until after Xmas.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I guess the real question is, How much do you have to spend? If you are talking under $200 or closer to $125 then you may be better with a outlet shoe from AE. Or a new Ebay AE. I personally would never buy a used shoe unless it was not noticebly used, such as one that had minimal wear on the sole. I really mean minimal! Unless you need the shoes right now, why not try and save a little and maybe buy a pair on sale at BB. they are having a sale now. If you have 100 posts you can get 15%off on some of the Aldens at BB. Or wait until after Xmas.
This is my position on the matter too. It's quite possible to buy nice shoes at far, far less than retail. I would not consider buying AEs for refurbishment when it's not that hard to find new ones for less than $100.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've grown reluctant to buy any shoes on eBay unless I know for sure that that particular brand and last fit my feet. From maker to maker, and from last to last, there are differences, and if I total up the money I've spent on 'good deals' that didn't work out on eBay over the last couple of years, I could have bought a pair of Allen Edmonds in the store. A recent heartbreaker--a pair of Cole Haan that were 'my size' but were defintely too small. Had them stretched twice and they're still useless.

I have bought a few AE on eBay that were 'slightly used' and appeared to have been at most tried on at home or in the store--a crease or two but no detectable sole wear. Those have been successful. I knew the particular last of the shoe would be a perfect fit.

Really used shoes, no matter how high a quality, will (as previous posters stated) have taken on the shape of the other guy's foot. And, in recrafting, they don't always replace everything, regardless of what they say.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
80 % of my shoes are used purchased on Ebay. I have purchased Ferragramo , Artioli , Santoni , Testoni , Brono Magli , Moreschi , Church , and Bally used.

Several pairs of each brand, many have turned out perfectly. Suede and skins as well.
Only two pairs were disappointing.
My shoes collection has grown thanks to Ebay and used shoes.
As men's new shoes are very experience.

I polish them , shine them , keep them in shoe trees and shoe bags , when taken out they look new. I don't have any problems with my feet when wearing them.
I especially enjoy a pair of Chuch brown monks bought used.

Tried to purchase a pair of Edward Green shoes on Ebay but was outbided, The same
with a pair of John Lobbs and Sutor Mantellassi.

Try it you might like it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.