Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Seemingly easy and effortless, which means the guy is one heck of a runner who has practiced more than I can imagine. Simply amazing to see him taking a "stroll" while in comparison the rest of the heats, meters behind, looks like they're running hell-bent into a strong wind. The contrast between Bolt and the other runners in the 100 was really striking.

Whatever the problems and oddities of the venue and all, there have been some amazing performances at these games.

Cordially,
Adrian Quay

· Registered
3,334 Posts
He's certainly the most outstanding athlete of the games. He's shown that sprinting does not have to be the bulging stocky muscle sport of the last decade and proved that, if you can get the technique right, then at 6' 5" with the stride of someone 8" tall (or so I heard) you can start rewriting the record books and the anatomy of an entire discipline. Phenomenal.

· Registered
1,196 Posts
He's certainly the most outstanding athlete of the games. He's shown that sprinting does not have to be the bulging stocky muscle sport of the last decade and proved that, if you can get the technique right, then at 6' 5" with the stride of someone 8" tall (or so I heard) you can start rewriting the record books and the anatomy of an entire discipline. Phenomenal.
+1, much like Phelps, a freak of nature, amazing to watch.

· Registered
388 Posts
I don't mean to start any trouble, but does it seem odd to anybody that the Jamaicans, who IIRC, have never won a gold medal in the 100m, are suddenly dominating the sprinting events (both men and women's) and are acting a little crazy as they do it? I can understand one amazing athlete developing from a small country, but for the country's whole track team to take off out of nowhere seems a bit unusual.

· Registered
608 Posts
I don't mean to start any trouble, but does it seem odd to anybody that the Jamaicans, who IIRC, have never won a gold medal in the 100m, are suddenly dominating the sprinting events (both men and women's) and are acting a little crazy as they do it? I can understand one amazing athlete developing from a small country, but for the country's whole track team to take off out of nowhere seems a bit unusual.
For what it is worth, I had the same questions.

· Registered
3,297 Posts
Most of them train in the U.S., with U.S. coaches and/or have been U.S. collegiate sprinters. They may be from other countries, but they are the product of the U.S. system. Though I think Bolt is an exception.

· Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't follow track that closely, but I looked up some of the Jamaican track team's medals.

In the 2006 Commonwealth Games, Jamaica had 10 gold, 4 silver and 8 bronze medals in track & field.

2007 World Championships: 1 gold, 6 silver, 3 bronze

In Athens 2004, Campbell-Brown won gold in the 200m and bronze in the 100m.

Bolt was injured from 2002-2004, but has 7 gold, 3 silver and 3 WR in his career.

You're right about Jamaica not having won the 100m in the Olympics before Beijing, but they still have done pretty well in other tournaments.

· Registered
3,334 Posts
Absolutely, that's malicious speculation and possibly sour grapes as far as I'm concerned. Jamaica has always had a proud and successful tradition in track, often finishing just behind US athletes. For those looking for a country with a history of drug violations in athletics, well, the USA is prominent.

The point has been raised in television coverage here as to why Jamaica is having such a good games this time - the reason given is that they've started to manage to hold onto their own rather than having them being poached by the US and the UK track teams in their early/college years.

· Registered
388 Posts
Absolutely, that's malicious speculation and possibly sour grapes as far as I'm concerned. Jamaica has always had a proud and successful tradition in track, often finishing just behind US athletes. For those looking for a country with a history of drug violations in athletics, well, the USA is prominent.

The point has been raised in television coverage here as to why Jamaica is having such a good games this time - the reason given is that they've started to manage to hold onto their own rather than having them being poached by the US and the UK track teams in their early/college years.
I'm just pointing out a situation that looks suspicious and have given no opinion about the truth of the matter. And yes, I'm aware that some U.S. athletes have used illegal drugs, and I really despise athletes who cheat, American or otherwise. There may be legitimate reasons why the Jamaican sprinters have improved over the last four years, but that doesn't change the fact that it is unusual.

· Registered
3,334 Posts
Ok, well at least you can now see that it's not out of nowhere and there are legitimate reasons for it. So, insinuations of illegitimate reasons should not be foremost on any of our minds to explain that particular occurance. For the sport as a whole, a healthy level of debate is of course still required.

· Registered
388 Posts
Ok, well at least you can now see that it's not out of nowhere and there are legitimate reasons for it. So, insinuations of illegitimate reasons should not be foremost on any of our minds to explain that particular occurance. For the sport as a whole, a healthy level of debate is of course still required.
The truth of the matter is that I don't view the reasons listed by Laxplayer as proving legitimacy. First, of all, how Jamaica has done in regional competitions is not very probative of their ability to compete against all of the athletes in the world. As for the 2007 World Championships, that was just last year. If, theoretically, there was something amiss with the Jamaican team, it wouldn't be a surprise if it started as recently as last year. So, we're left with one gold medal in the last Olympics in the 200m. While all of this may show that the Jamaican team has, in fact, been on the verge of greatness, it doesn't really explain anything. Don't tell me that people around the world wouldn't start questioning an American who suddenly started dominating a sport not usually won by Americans-- oh wait, they did--Lance Armstrong. Throw in the fact that Bolt broke the world record while coasting the last few yards and beating his chest and the Jamaican women's team won Gold, Silver, and Bronze in the 100m (a feat no country has ever achieved, IIRC) and there is at least some reason to question it. It's one thing to win events. It's another to smash world records while not even trying that hard. Even Michael Phelps doesn't make winning look that easy.

At the end of the day, however, I have no reason to believe that the Jamaican team is doing anything wrong. I just found it odd that nobody was even questioning these unusual events the way they normally would if it were Americans.

· Registered
3,334 Posts
Oh god!

What about the reasons given by me as well as Laxplayer. You seem to have only a third-hand grasp of the history and facts associated with this debate.

a) there's been a proud and highly successful sprinting tradition in Jamaica for decades, on the highest international stages including the Olympics and World Championships; it's pretty much their national sport
b) historically, their best athletes were poached by the US and UK, only recently has this unfair trend begun to reverse. Jamaicans have won many additional medals in the vests of other nations.
c) US track is in the doldrums, they had a terrible games, leaving the door open for the next best teams
d) Usain Bolt has, since the age of 15, been known to be a special talent. And, as has been described earlier in this thread, his physical frame and stride pattern give him a natural edge. Nobody with any knowledge of the sport is surprised at his achievements.

I'm afraid your questioning still sounds like sour grapes, and it's unbecoming to cast such aspersions without basis. Whether you care or not, it does not come across well.

· Registered
388 Posts
I'm afraid your questioning still sounds like sour grapes, and it's unbecoming to cast such aspersions without basis. Whether you care or not, it does not come across well.
I think it's unbecoming to accuse me of sounding like sour grapes for merely pointing out that the situation looks unusual. Bolt may very well be the finest sprinter the world has ever seen and the Jamaican team finally peaking. There are no sour grapes here--I didn't think the American sprinters deserved to win this year. Our track team just did not look very good. Not because of some anti-American conspiracy, they just had an off year. So I'm not trying to make excuses or even saying that the Jamaicans did anything wrong. Anytime an American points out anything the least bit unusual with respect to a foreign athlete (whether it be Jamaican sprinters or Chinese gymnasts), we get accused of just being poor losers, whereas Europeans have a God-given right to whisper about any American athlete who does well in a traditionally European dominated sport. I don't like it when people assume that I have some malicious motive for merely pointing out something in the context of a discussion forum.

· Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it's unbecoming to accuse me of sounding like sour grapes for merely pointing out that the situation looks unusual. Bolt may very well be the finest sprinter the world has ever seen and the Jamaican team finally peaking. There are no sour grapes here--I didn't think the American sprinters deserved to win this year. Our track team just did not look very good. Not because of some anti-American conspiracy, they just had an off year. So I'm not trying to make excuses or even saying that the Jamaicans did anything wrong. Anytime an American points out anything the least bit unusual with respect to a foreign athlete (whether it be Jamaican sprinters or Chinese gymnasts), we get accused of just being poor losers, whereas Europeans have a God-given right to whisper about any American athlete who does well in a traditionally European dominated sport. I don't like it when people assume that I have some malicious motive for merely pointing out something in the context of a discussion forum.
To be clear, I was not trying to say you sound like sour grapes. I was just pointing out some of the Jamaican track teams accomplishments over the past few years.

· Registered
3,334 Posts
Bolt may very well be the finest sprinter the world has ever seen and the Jamaican team finally peaking.
It is good, however, that you can now see this is plausible at least.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.