Men's Clothing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many on this forum, I am a fan of the Esquire images of the 30's and 40's and also enjoy reading the copy. I am always intrigued by references to "unfinished" cloths. Do any members understand this term. I am relatively knowledgable on my fabrics but this has stumped me. Help!

W_B

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfinished worsted has a "fuzzy" finish compared to Hard Finished/ Clear Finished Worsted which does not have a knapp. Sharkskin and nail-heads are examples of clear finished worsteds. Worsted Flannel is an example of "Unfinished Worsted".
Paul Winston
Winston Taiolrs
www.chipp2.com
Thank you very much Paul!
So in this context, "finished" refers to the process of cutting or singeing the surface or heavy pressing of the wool. It does not mean that suits were made out of cloth straight from the loom. They would still need to be washed and shrunk at the finishers. That does make a lot of sense and is consistent with the images I have seen in Esquire.

In the UK (today) this would be called a semi-milled worsted or, as you say, a worsted flannel.

You have reminded me why I joined this forum in the first place! Thanks again.

:icon_smile:

W_B

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.